Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen Ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Aspen for a couple of weeks last two weeks of March. Has anybody experience of ski hire and where's the best place? I see that most seem to want $48 per day which is a huge amount! Anyone have experience whether it's best to hire on arrival or to pre book. If so, who's the most competitive?

tks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

$48 per day which is a huge amount!

Shocked But commensurate with the cost of their lift pass? And France is supposed to be expensive!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jollyroger, you coudl buy a pair for that (assuming 13 days skiing) Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with jollyroger on buying (and probably least expensive to buy in the UK at present).

However, if you don't want to cart skis through airports etc you could always hire somewhere between Denver (assuming that's where you're flying to) and Aspen. The more obvious options are Denver, Vail and Glenwood Springs, although I'm sure there are others.

One slightly better value option in Aspen (Snowmass to be precise) is these guys, but I've never used them so can't comment on service etc.

http://www.genetaylorsrentals.com/page.cfm?pageid=12525
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT_London, you might want to change your username as we already have a JT on the forum. If you PM a moderator they'll change it for you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

$48 per day which is a huge amount!

Shocked But commensurate with the cost of their lift pass? And France is supposed to be expensive!!

I agree, but just returned from Zermatt where a 5 days pass was 301 CHF. (about £194 or £38.8 per day). I've got a 12 day pass for Aspen already from Skiworld at £270. Seems good value at £22.50 per day. It seems that everything skiing is getting very expensive, unfortunately, but it still won't stop me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
jollyroger, you coudl buy a pair for that (assuming 13 days skiing) Shocked

that's exactly the line I thought... if I've got to pay $48 pwer day for 12 days skiing, I might just buy a pair then sell on ebay on my return. Other than the hassle of carrying them, it may be the cheaper option!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jollyroger, who are you flying with? just checking for free ski carriage. I assume you have boots?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT_London wrote:
Agree with jollyroger on buying (and probably least expensive to buy in the UK at present).

However, if you don't want to cart skis through airports etc you could always hire somewhere between Denver (assuming that's where you're flying to) and Aspen. The more obvious options are Denver, Vail and Glenwood Springs, although I'm sure there are others.

One slightly better value option in Aspen (Snowmass to be precise) is these guys, but I've never used them so can't comment on service etc.

http://www.genetaylorsrentals.com/page.cfm?pageid=12525

tks for this... had a look and I can handle $30 daily for decent skis.. I'll give them a call as we're flying direct to Aspen with no car, but I could always pick them up at Snowmass..

You know what it's like, holiday booked and paid for then the usual shock of the pass prices and rentals which turns a good value holiday into an expensive one, so every $ saved when you don't need to pay is better all round!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
jollyroger, who are you flying with? just checking for free ski carriage. I assume you have boots?

boots we have... United airlines to Chicago then Aspen.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
United Ski Carriage Policy:

"Allowance/requirements
1 ski bag, containing 1 pair of skis and poles, plus 1 boot bag, containing boots and bindings only, are allowed in place of one checked bag.

If additional ski equipment is checked, each piece will count as a standard-sized special item, and the associated fee(s) will apply.

Maximum weight
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag exceeds 50 pounds (23 kg), an overweight fee will apply."

On international flights you get 2 checked in bags, skis & boots would be in place of one of them. I'd be buying skis.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jollyroger, Depending how many weeks you have skied and what sort of ski you like, you could try heading to 'Use it Again' past the hotel Jeromeand down the hill a little. Theres a small shopping area and car park. Use It Again as its name suggests deals in 2nd hand equipment and will sell stuff on for you. They also had some new skis still in cellophane cheap when we were last there.

Although by the end of March shops will be selling gear off anyway so you might as well wait until you get there.

Nothing to stop you buying and then selling on after your trip Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy