Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ferry vs Eurotunnel

Poster: A snowHead
welshskier, I have never paid a penny extra on the tunnel - I tend to book later but turn up early. I also stretch my legs and eat my food but gain an hour on the journey thanks to the speedier trains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where you live surely. I've been going to Flaine mostly for the last 10 years from Bristol area. Used to use P&O night sailing from Portsmouth to LeHavre until the route closed. It was good in that, as others have said, you could get a meal and use the boat as a hotel via a cabin. But expensive even with stockholder discount. The tunnel is quick and easy to use but means another 140 miles round trip plus no evening meal (we're usually in too much rush on UK side and too late in France). We use a F1 overnight usually (Bethune until it closed). Tunnel much cheaper via Tesco (do SHs keep Tesco going!!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billb, probably, there's quite a lot of us saving for deals, which reminds me my latest Tesco vouchers haven't arrived yet, and I've got a few crossings to book.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So aren't Tesco Clubcard vouchers usuable on any ferry crossings then? Just Eurotunnel?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, only on Eurotunnel .

Convert them to 'Clubcard Deals first though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, yeah I know about Clubcard Deals, that's how I did it last time. It's a shame ferries aren't covered because I'd probably go by ferry then. Mind you, ferries can be that cheap I don't suppose it's worth it when you consider it might only cost £30 to cross return sometimes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, VolklAttivaS5, Tesco used to do P&O Dover Calais (used it once when tunnel booked up at HT) but now just Ireland. They do Stena Harwich to Hook of Holland but that's the wrong direction I guess.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billb, ah right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm just got a quick quote for a ferry booking for a possible trip next season and it was either £115 return for Dover/Calais or £46 return for Dover/Dunkirk which obviously takes a bit longer. Therefore since the Eurotunnel would cost me only £35 return on Clubcard Deals it's a lot cheaper and quicker.

So glad I used Clubcard Deals for the first and only Eurotunnel crossing I've done so far! No need to pay full price ever again snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, Hope they keep offering it or multiple crossings will get expensive Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
billb absolutely. dread them cancelling it. Five crossings this year, one by ferry for EOSB becasue of the ash cloud, the rest free using Clubcard deals.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, P & O dropped the long western channel crossings. We used to do Portsmouth - Le Havre, because we live 10 minutes drive from Portsmouth ferry terminal. But timing it was always a problem - to avoid having to do Paris at a busy time. I looked at coming back Brittany Ferries into Portsmouth, but the prices were just laughable. About £350 one way IIRC.

I've never paid extra on the tunnel - usually can get on the next train, no extra cost (I always book the most expensive crossing of the day, with my Tesco vouchers; no expense spared. then the risk of having to pay extra is very low).

Geneva did close a few times last winter, in the very bad weather. They did say it was the first time in XXXXX years but I don't think that's true. I remember a day about 6 years ago when they were closed for an entire Sunday and caused chaos. But they close much, much, less than any of the other airports around. And when they were closed people were spending many hours stationary on French motorways anyway. When the weather closes in, no way of travelling is too great. After all, look what happened to the trains!

billb, you can get a multiple crossing deal on eurotunnel, which isn't bad, but tesco deals are even cheaper. I was quite surprised how much longer the Norfolk line ferry took, compared to eurotunnel. About 3 times as long - at least. When the weather is bad in the winter the ferries can be vile; full of people throwing up or staggering around with their duty free trying to act nonchalant and making out they're quite accustomed to doing North Atlantic convoy protection duties in a Corvette.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out by the tunnel, back by Sea France (Sea France don't charge for the dog, Eurotunnel charge £30).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Yes, Tesco deals have to be the best deals for channel crossings. We don't do that many actually - 3 last year (2 skiing) and will be 2 this year (would have been 3 but had to cancel one). UnlikeHells Bells, who must have clocked up some miles from the north!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
billb, we certainly have, but we have the problem of a lack of flights, and a dog. ssnowman, SeaFrance normally charge for the dog too, it gets added on to the return crossing fare when I've booked in the past. I used them for a one way trip last January (Calais-Dover). However, they don't on a one way from Dover to Calais.
snow conditions
If I lived in London it would be Eurotunnel, simply to avoid the pressure of making a specific ferry. That said the ferry is fine, although from my experience make sure you have more than one driver, I drove out alone this year - the others flew out and one drove back with me. The crossing from Rotterdam to Hull was very rough and we got almost no sleep, between the two of us we had just enough energy to drive from Hull back home. Had the crossing on the way out been as rough then I would never have made the 14 hr drive from Rotterdam to Zell am See in the one day.
ski holidays
i prefer the ferry to the tunnel - rarely use either living in scotland though.

one thing i would say is that Norfolk Line have been much cheaper and just as good as P&O. Also, they sail into Dunkirk and are the only ferry line to do so so it's a fair bit quicker getting away from the ferry and on to the open road at the other end.
snow conditions
shoogly, I had noticed the Dunkirk option took 2 hours on the crossing instead but was substantially cheaper, as per my quote I mentioned earlier. How long does it take to get to the Alps from Dunkirk instead out of interest?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
When the weather is bad in the winter the ferries can be vile; full of people throwing up or staggering around with their duty free trying to act nonchalant and making out they're quite accustomed to doing North Atlantic convoy protection duties in a Corvette.

Laughing Laughing

Which is why I am happy to always use the tunnel. I did many, many trips on the ferry across the Irish Sea in my formative years, often in horrendous weather, and there are somethings you never forget Going green
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, can't judge on the outward journey,as we got stuck behind a lorry fire for 3 hours, but we did VT to Dunkirk in about 9-9.5 hours with loo stops, lunch stop etc. As I sat in the back and let You Raang sit in the front, I can't guarantee that the speed limit was not exceeded.
latest report
Hells Bells, not a lot in it then compared to docking at Calais based on my only experience and how long that took.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, no, we headed down the motorway towards Lille, then rejoined the A26 further south . It wasn't such a straightforward trip out of the port, but that might have been due to stopping for fuel, wine, and swimming shorts for a certain doc.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, there's not much difference in the journey to Calais and Dunkerque, though when we reached the junction to head towards Lille there were diversion signs noting that road works on the Lille route could cause hold ups. Unusually, they even had the same sign in English, so we headed up the A26, then you get signposted to Dunkerque before you reach all the signs for the ferry and tunnel in Calais. Our journey took longer because of the weather - pouring with rain the whole way, so heavy in places that even the rainy day speed limit of 70 mph would have been unsafe.
snow report
welshskier I don't see how it is any different to travelling by train anywhere (at night of course, due to no view - I always thought the tunnel would be a better attraction if it was like a Disney World ride and you got to see fish and stuff and then my mate pointed out it was actually in the rock under the channel not a pipe, Doh Embarassed ).

In fact its even better than a normal train as you are in your own car and have your own comfy seat rather than having to share a slightly too narrow seat with a strange man drinking special brew singing out of tune to a song on the stereo (whoops, that sounds like my car Shocked ).
ski holidays
We usually make some sandwiches to eat on the train and buy one of those ridiculously large and expensive coffees between us. If I've been driving I find that that just leaves me 20 minutes for a quick nap - recline the seat, all very comfortable.

It's a good job it's not in an underwater pipe. Parts of the Channel are so shallow it'd be very scary to see a squatting supertanker miss by centimetres.
snow conditions
pam w, we usually sit and eat our pork pies on the way out, hubby does the Times Crossword, and I try and doze off.
snow report
LD Ferries still do a Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing
latest report
Tiger2, I agree it's not very different to a train, but the ferry doesn't rock from side to side and you can get a seat. Whilst I've had rough crossings in the past most ferries now are so big they seem to cope with big seas very well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ferry every time for me - I hate sitting in the car on a train through the tunnel. Last tunnel trip no toilet working hot as hell and nowhere to buy any drinks to quench your thirst.

After a long drive I like being made to leave the car and take a proper break. I don't use the pay extra VIP Lounges any more - I go to the à la Carte restaurant and have a good meal - no chavs or noisy plebs to be found there Laughing I then take a walk around the deck and enjoy the fresh air.

Only use Norfolk Lines these days as I dislike having to pay for a VIP lounge on Stena, P&O or Sea France just to have a bit of P&Q. Loading and unloading from NL does not take too long especially in Dunkerque and I'm refreshed back on my way home to the Alps! At £19 a crossing can't be beaten to be honest

Anyone got any experience of the Zeebrugge to Rosyth crossing? Looking to use it next year when visiting Scotland with friends.

ski holidays
Quote:

LD Ferries still do a Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing

I looked at LD but they were surprisingly expensive - they used to be quite reasonable. But it is August, and I was booking quite late. NL was OK, and the cheapest, but when I still had several hours to drive, I did resent the time it took - well over two hours.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, perhaps the nicer restaurants are the place to go then for peace and quiet, after all anyone can pay the extra to stay in the VIP lounges especially as some nibbles and drinks are included so they could be equally as noisy as the main ones are.
latest report
We nearly always go in the Langan's brasserie if we are travelling P&O - sometimes breakfast which will keep us going all day. You do get away from the hordes. Always look at the prices of the various crossings and if its particularly cheap then we will do Norfolk Line or Sea France but if not much in it at all then P&O it is. LD from Portsmouth is good for us too but as pam w, says that can be expensive, just depending on the time of year. We have done the tunnel a couple of times years ago but it didn't work for us - do like to have the break and chance of something ok to eat.

Also got stuffed last time as I had whizzed through M&S and picked up some salads for the journey and was then horrified to find my tomato and mozzarella salad was something like £11.30 - teach me to shop without my specs on - quite ruined the journey as I banged on about it whenever I remembered it. Was a nice salad and rather a lot of it but even so...
snow conditions
welshskier wrote:
Whilst I've had rough crossings in the past most ferries now are so big they seem to cope with big seas very well.

Fine unless the first choice ferry has a fault and they bring on the backup vessel!

On P&O from Rotterdam to Hull this was an older, smaller, ship called the Pride of York.

Although I cant fault the service, the food or the staff the ship was older than me and I'm 42!

I can"t imagine the good people of York would be too proud?
snow conditions
robboj, sounds like it had been left over from the Viking invasion. VolklAttivaS5, when we go via SeaFrance, we always go for lunch in the restaurant. Never been on a really full noisy ferry though.
snow report
I agree with pam w, Norfolkline are worth a go. We used them to go out this summer as they were the cheapest and it was a pretty good experience, made a change to go to Dunkerque rather than Calais. I then received an email saying they had been bought by DFDS and were doing promo rates, so booked our ferry out for the winter season £19 one way. If you arrive up to 2 hours early for your ferry you can get on an earlier one FOC.
Boats are nice, toilets clean, and they have a children's entertainer dressed as a pirate who comes round making balloon animals and doing magic tricks.
latest report
Quote:

the ship was older than me and I'm 42!

Prime of life....

for a ship.
snow conditions
Always use Eurotunnel - driving from Banbury to catch, quicker, easier, never had a problem with being late or indeed early.

Do need to sort out the customs in France coming back - there were huge queues on Saturday and they were being very strict about letting cars through based on the letter - fair enough except that most people seemed to be missing the train they were booked on Confused We made ours just, but there were only 8 cars on the overheight section, despite huge queues, obviously decided to keep to schedule rather than clear backlog.

I think I read here that they were going to change the French layout so that you clear customs and then go to terminal - no doubt they will also add a "be there 2 hours early" at the same time rolling eyes Think this could have an impact on them as is beginning to lose the convenience that it first had over ferries
latest report
I've just converted my Clubcard vouchers to deals. As long as Eurotunnel are the only cross-channel option available via Clubcard, it's a no-brainer for me, and I only book a ferry if I don't have enough vouchers.
snow report
I always used to use Spew (sorry Speed) Ferries but as they suffered greatly with rough seas in the winter started using the tunnel. I use it at Easter and pay most of it with tesco vouchers. I recently used P&O for a summer crossing for the first time for a few years because of cost and while it was OK I took ages to clear the dock at Dover.
latest report
Quote:

I took ages to clear the dock at Dover.

one of the great things about eurotunnel - straight in and out off the motorway at both ends.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy