Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
come on Waynos... start quoting your spaghetti finds.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, Has your garage got parquet flooring? Shocked We're very posh up here though..... wink Have a great trip, safe journey and let us know if this all made a difference to your spend a la France
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler.. Today..

Double expresso (mine)
pepermint tea (Frankie's)
banana bread (Shared) And very good it was too!Very Happy
Cdn$5.79...

I don't think I could buy a Mars bar in Tignes for that! ? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, just back from St. Anton and the exchange rate makes prices rather high - bit of a shock after the last few years!

However, there is a silver lining in that I can now say that it's definitely cheaper to ski and eat in Scotland Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, pie, chips and beans! Can't see why everyone on here is so obsessed with spaghetti bolognese - it's student fodder which you throw together when you can't be bothered with anything more taxing, not something you buy in a restaurant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at the change in exchange rates, it lloks like Canada and Sweden may be the places where the pound has suffered least.
Food for thought for next year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arlberg
Quote:
Looking at the change in exchange rates, it looks like Canada and Sweden may be the places where the pound has suffered least.

and Zimbabwe. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Can't see why everyone on here is so obsessed with spaghetti bolognese - it's student fodder which you throw together when you can't be bothered with anything more taxing, not something you buy in a restaurant.

Hear Hear. If looking for a less than ruinous lunch, at current exchange rates, I'll go for an omelette - better food value and more reliable quality. Or chips - food value little or nothing, but I don't make chips at home so they're a treat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arlberg, Sweden has always been very expensive anyway.

pam w, Chips - £5 in Tignes a couple of weeks ago Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, chips (and everything else) are expensive when you buy with such a very weak currency. We paid £5 somewhere the other day but the plate was gigantic - about 6 times the weight of one of those silly little McDonalds bags. Here we can get a generous "barquette" for 3.40.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anniepen wrote:
Kel, Has your garage got parquet flooring? Shocked We're very posh up here though..... wink Have a great trip, safe journey and let us know if this all made a difference to your spend a la France

Just back from trip to Valloire, 9 days skiing, am I glad I took all that stuff, you bet I am. Even in a low key resort like Valloire an evening meal for 2 in a half decent restaurant with wine costs 70 Euro, so that's what me and the Missus did every other night, but I refuse to pay that for my 2 teenage sons, who would sooner have burger and chips.

One thing that really did/does annoy me however is that the French always seem to serve Red wine directly from the cellar, i.e. cold. On one particular night we went to a restaurant that has had good reviews on here, "Bistro Chez Fred" and it always looked busy, I ordered a rather special bottle of wine at 32 Euro, which is something I would never do here, when I ordered the wine I asked " Is the wine served at room temperature", the reply was of course, when the wine came to the table, it was actually that cold the outside of the bottle had water vapour on it, like you would expect with a white wine. I told the waiter the red wine is cold, no problem I will warm it up on the heater was the reply. Not if you expect me to pay 32 euros for it, take it away.

Anyone going to Valloire eat out at Montagne Magique, Superb, Very Rustic, Very French, evening 3 course menu 25 euro's and worth every cent, the house wine is 12 euros and served at the correct temperature !!. Best place by far IMHO.

Back to the point other price comparisons, stopped at Maccys in Reims for some real food !! yesterday, 4 McMac meals with ice cream cost 40 euros, the same meal cost £19 at Birmingham today, half the price. I wasn't planning on bringing any wine back, but there is a great offer at Carrefour, JP Chenet 5 Litre boxes of various plonk all 15 Euros and BOGOF, which works out at about a quid a bottle equivalent, bought 10 boxes as I had loads of room because the Coke had been drunk !!.

Road tolls 80 euros each way, ouch
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinmcc wrote:
Whistler.. Today..

Double expresso (mine)
pepermint tea (Frankie's)
banana bread (Shared) And very good it was too!Very Happy
Cdn$5.79...

I don't think I could buy a Mars bar in Tignes for that! ? Puzzled

So true, and Whistler is pricey in this part of the world.

It simply amuses me why people here are complaining about the prices on French ski hills. They've been expensive/rip-off since I first went over 20 years ago. Now the pound is weak, it's just more apparent. If you want to ski in France, accept prices are high, and get over it Madeye-Smiley.

If you don't like paying high prices, go somewhere else.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arlberg wrote:
Looking at the change in exchange rates, it lloks like Canada and Sweden may be the places where the pound has suffered least.
Food for thought for next year.

Its been food for thought for the last four years for us! Beats the hell out of France in every way.....value, atmosphere, friendliness, empty hills - dodgy beer though but at a few dollars a pop, who's complaining!! Very Happy

I love the mountains in France, the people are cool in general, but I object to the crazy pricing - before the sterling crash it was silly, now it's just hilarious!....But as an ex-seasonnaire that used to earn not a lot, there are ways of making things a bit cheaper wherever you go and a bit of politeness with the locals (The French ones) can go a long way...just try it!

no doubt I will end up in France at some stage this season but I'll have some ham and cheese baguettes in my backpack for the day!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and i thought Austria was expensive
i dont thing France is for me then
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel>>the French always seem to serve Red wine directly from the cellar

A good way of hiding the tannins in a too-young bottle of wine.
snow conditions
£12 for some tongue................. Embarassed

Le Sauget, top of first chair lift out of Montchavin. Wife asks what plat du jour is. Waitress replies in French, wifes says she understands and it is Veal. Sounds nice I'll have that please. Out arrives on my plate some veal, sadly it is veal tongue. It was the whole tongue, boiled and pale looking with some rice and tartate sauce. There is a calf somewhere in the Alps wiht a very bad lisp. Thankfully I had a pint ordered and the bread was nice to. 12 euro for the privledge of a bit of French tongue (cheaper than I normally pay Embarassed )
latest report
thefatcontroller, £10.00 for a Jacket Potatoe in Les Arcs 1800 Shocked but £4.50 for a very good Spag bol Smile
snow report
£14.50 fairly typical for spag bol in Meribel and 3V last week, beer prices roughly as mentioned in other thread, i.e. approx €6 to €8.

Every cloud has a silver lining though - the pistes were dead quiet - not sure how much this was down to the silly prices scaring people away or just a general downturn, but certainly MUCH quieter than previous trips to this are at same time of year.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, £10.00 for a Jacket Potatoe in Les Arcs 1800 Shocked but £4.50 for a very good Spag bol Smile

Boredsurfing is Dan Quayle. I claim my £5 Very Happy
ski holidays
Genius
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:

Le Sauget, top of first chair lift out of Montchavin. Wife asks what plat du jour is. Waitress replies in French, wifes says she understands and it is Veal. Sounds nice I'll have that please. Out arrives on my plate some veal, sadly it is veal tongue. It was the whole tongue, boiled and pale looking with some rice and tartate sauce. There is a calf somewhere in the Alps wiht a very bad lisp. Thankfully I had a pint ordered and the bread was nice to. 12 euro for the privledge of a bit of French tongue (cheaper than I normally pay Embarassed )

I adore tongue. Generally pressed and cold. It has a great texture, reminds me of some other time I feel tongue against mine... Laughing
snow report
Quote:

the French always seem to serve Red wine directly from the cellar

The French are known the world over for knowing nothing about wine. wink
ski holidays
They don't serve the wine straight from the cellar at Aviemore.

In fact, they don't serve it at all Very Happy
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:

That would depend on what the tongue was doing Little Angel
snow report
Well, I'm skiing tomorrow and Sunday in the mountains - there's 45cm of fresh fallen in the last day and a bit and more falling as I type, I'm typing this from home and will be there early enough for the first lift up in the morning, lift tickets are £15 (pre-booked) for a day at the weekend, cheaper during the week, and I'll be able to get spaghetti for under a fiver (Sterling). I'd rather get a nice curry though and they're available at a place down the road cheaper than the place near me... and they're nicer actually!

Yup, I'm off to Scotland to ski for the weekend! snowHead

Oh, and the beer is cheaper than here too! Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 23-01-09 21:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

That would depend on what the tongue was doing Little Angel

I'm trying not to link that remark to the 'location' details to the left of it
latest report
David Goldsmith, Good Grief! I thought you wuz dead wink

You still lobbing Sodium into these calm waters? wink
ski holidays
No, just minding me own business, as always
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, something tells me you're feelin' frisky . . . I'll give you a call next month when it don't(sic) cost me $1.20 a minute
ski holidays
Italy (Dolomites) is certainly cheaper than France (Les Arcs) - based on my experience over Christmas and this week. A typical pasta+sauce in France was around €12, whilst in the Dolomites it's been around €8.
Also there is only me here in the Dolomites, whilst in France I had wife and son in tow as well Very Happy - seems to affect the bill quite dramatically!
snow report
If you pay it then they will sell it,,,, LOL
latest report
Not too bad in Austria

edit and why is it that when I resize the photos they become blurred, even when I have up loaded the picture without compressing it ?
latest report
rayscoops, mmm, I could just do with a steaming bowl of Gulaschsuppe right now!
snow report
Having only been in austria once when i was young can some elder snowHead inform me exactly what Gulaschsuppe is and what it tastes like? Looks good!!
snow report
got a mate who's back from the 3 vallleeeeees. he showed me a receipt from a mountain restaurant at Courchevel.

one pizza, one plate of chips, 2 grande beers and one large glass of coke...

wait for it, you will be amazed...

96 euros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked
latest report
scrubyjoe, It is basically a beef stew, with some spice but not too much (mainly paprika I think).

It is very good, and both warming and filling. Often also available with dumplings.
latest report
shoogly, really?

Christ.
snow report
How does that 96 euros break down?
ski holidays
How big were the 'grande' beers?
ski holidays
shoogly, that is a pretty good trump card, what was the restaurant?

i have heard rumours that some places have put prices UP due to lower levels of trade... certainly beers have gone up around my place but plat du jour has gone down a wee bit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy