Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
masmith, there's popular and then there's upmarket.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PJSki, Courchevel, for example. Is it popular, upmarket, or possibly both ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith, yes, but with upmarket British clientele. You never go there to save money, would you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, well not in the resorts I frequent they won't, because Brits are a tiny minority of visitors. Been out all day today and not heard a word of English. I have noticed, though, some welcome moves to the kind of "menu" I describe above - because French visitors are also reluctant to spend much money. As ever, the big majority of French family skiers are doing self-catering holidays on a tight budget.

Prices are expensive in the big places, especially if you have to pay in £, as we and most British skiers do. But I get fed up with everybody complaining that the French are "rude". I suppose they might sometimes be rude to the sort of boorish British punter who rocks up without so much as a "bonjour" and mumbles an order in poorly articulated English without even the courtesy of asking "Do you speak English"? But today, I will hear not a word against them. My husband lost my season lift past - virgin one, never been used, down some unreachable crack between the metal seat supports in the car. The woman in the local pass office, with whom I'd had a joke when I picked up the passes yesterday, got on the phone to her head office and in 10 minutes I had a brand new one. She said she wasn't going to charge me the admin replacement fee, as they'd told he she should, as she knows me and I buy a pass every season. So just 2 euros for the holder (refundable at the end of the season) and I was on the slopes. I had written off at least half a day to battle with that one.

She speaks not one word of English. My French is not fantastic by any means but I could explain what had happened, she listened with a grin, gave a Gallic shrug which meant "men, what can you do with them", and got on with it. It'll be one more thing to joke about next time where down there with visitors, helping them to buy passes. It's the same kind of story all around - lifties, the man in the ski shop, the restaurant people, shops. All charming. I don't know what some people must do to drive French people who are basically there to make their living by parting them from their money to be rude to them. By nature and culture they are usually polite people.

On my odd forays to the ski factories of the Tarentaise I do sometimes shudder at the behaviour and general demeanour of some of my fellow-countrymen. Maybe the Austrians are just more ready to grin and bear it, for the sake of the cash, than the average Frenchman?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When comparing bar/restaurant prices please remember VAT currently in a British bar/restaurant is 15% in a French restaurant its a whopping 19.5%.
Anyone know Austrian or Italian rates?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, http://www.scopulus.co.uk/taxsheets/european_vat_rates.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I've have seen a few shocking examples of bad behaviour towards French shopkeepers and felt the need to apologise once, though the people concerned were absolutely nothing to do with me. I think most Brit punters are OK though.

I'm interested to see what happens in Megève this year. It does fall into the 'upmarket' and 'significant British clientele' categories. Although I can afford the prices, I'm expecting the 1:1 exchange rate will be a psychological barrier to me. I'm expecting to eat more at the 'free' breakfast buffet and afternoon tea (if I'm back in time) than normal and skimp on lunch. I'd be surprised if takings weren't down in some establishments.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When and that is a very probable "When" the Restaurant's and Bar's are empty, they will be forced to reduce prices to attract punter's. As with any business the laws of supply and demand apply.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki wrote:
masmith, yes, but with upmarket British clientele. You never go there to save money, would you.

Agreed, I woudn't go there with the intention of saving money, but then again I'd never go skiing at all if that were the case.

I have only been to Courchevel twice, I am British but not upmarket and always travel with a moderate budget and on both occasions the holiday cost no more than equivalent ones on say Meribel of Val d'Isere. I think it has a large proportion of upmarket guests yet but not exclusively so. I guess it boils down to your interpretation of upmarket and popular. For me, Courchevel, Meribel, Val d'Isere, Megeve are a few French candidates that fit into my definitions of both.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, if that happens, I don't think it will be until next season, probably on the back of a bad start to the season and then only in a few resorts. And even then only if Sterling hasn't recovered. There's still enough wealth in the system for prices to remain 'high'...along with the sound of people moaning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will be interesting to see if the traders in Val d' Isere raise their prices for the World champs in February, or will they resist getting out those half term menus early Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem is that skiing attracts the Costa del sol types, who are used to behaving badly abroad. Those of us used to more genteel parts of the continent, who like and appreciate the foreigners, are not rude to them and get on perfectly well with them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, your wrong, it all boils down to your manners and values. Wherever I holiday, I treat everybody with respect and hope to be treated the same in return. Manners and a smile cost nothing Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Hannibal Lekter on how to treat 'free range rude' Twisted Evil

Also I quite like Chianti Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpinebullit, Yes I agree. I always make a point of a quick bonjour to lifties, or at least a nod or something. It's remarkable how many people just ignore them and this ignorance crosses all nationalities.
ski holidays
masmith, very very true.
ski holidays
p.s that goes for the lifties at the top of the lifts too !
latest report
pam w, I admire your posts. They always reek of common sense - a quality I greatly admire.

I did make reference to the restaurant staff in St Gervais fitting the French stereotype of rude and surly and this was slightly tongue in cheek and for comedic effect. Myself and the particular group I was with are by no means fluid in French but always start with a "Bonjour" and an attempt at continuing in French - easy ordering beers - less achievable discussing binding settings wink . I am also horrified by the ignorance of some fellow Brit travellers and try to make an extra effort on their behalf sometimes. However, this guy was grumpy and not as a result of any borishness on our part - maybe he was stereotyping us as loud, ignorant Brits?

Anyway, one swallow does not a summer make and I am returning to France in a few days. The lesson I have learnt is that I will check the menu prices before committing to eat or drink anywhere. One waiter having a bad day is not going to put me off a nationality. I do business withe the French and apart from their price demands wink they are some of the most charming and gracious people I deal with. Certainly better than British farmers but that's another thread entirely... Laughing
snow report
3.8 €uros for a 0.4 litre beer weekend before last in Sant Cristina (Val Gardena) and the same up the road in Selva. Spag bol or Lasagne was 7.6 up in the mountain huts. Prices seemed the same from hut to hut there.

Got a 1 litre jug of house wine with dinner one night and that was 12 €uros. So not that bad.... Those prices are better then France but in Saalbach last Feb we stopped in one bar up the mountain when we saw the 3 €uros for a half litre beer. And nice beer it was!!! Cool
snow report
Ignorant Rude Brits !!

In Les Arcs this Easter I was coming out of a mountain restaurant (cant remember the name but very close to the Vanoise Express) The floor was VERY slippy, so I informed the chap going in. His reply was " Slippy floor ! you wouldn't expect that when it is wet and you've got ski boot's on would you ".

He went into the restaurant and fell flat on his back and got a round of applause from the multi national crowd who had heard his quip.

Ignorant Rude Brits, if the powder had not been so fantastic, it would have been the highlight of my week. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Kel, priceless ! Very Happy
snow report
Of course not all Brits are ignorant and rude. Only a tiny minority. Like only a tiny of French people are rude and surly. It's just that sweeping generalisations tend to get my goat - especially on a day when I had such superlative service in our local resort.
ski holidays
pam w, I fully agree with you, there. And if you're a Brit in France it really doesn't take much effort.
latest report
A quick look at one of my local mounain huts, spag bol 7.9€, or 5.20€ for kids spag bol - which is probably loads anyway. see here http://www.schafalm.at/ausflugsziel-schafalm-planai/documents/SCH_SPEISEKARTE_2008_dtneu.pdf
snow report
Jo225 wrote:
The best value meal we had was the dish of the day in the restaurant half way down La Face on Val d'Isere - boeuf bourgignon for €12.50, which was absolutely delish (although after skiing the Face, I think anything would have tasted wonderful!)

Last week:
Restaurant on the Grattalu piste in Tignes: €7.70 for a plastic bowl of not very nice watery vegetable soup and a bread roll, self-service. Seating area slightly chilly and noisy. Toilets were faily horrible and ostensibly €0.5 in addition, although no-one was collecting money.

La Taniere (the restaurant halfway down Face): €7.70 for a waitress-served bowl of nice vegetable soup with bread, cheese and croutons. Restaurant virtually empty but nicely decorated and comfortable. Toilets warm, clean and free.

La Taniere must get about 1/4 of the custom of the other restaurant, yet they manage to run a much nicer restaurant.
ski holidays
Frances, that resto on Grattalu may, or may not be called Panoramique. An absolute pile of shoite, and yet above le Lac on the Aiguilee Perce side, the two restos there are both of excellent quality. Puzzled
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
............... But I get fed up with everybody complaining that the French are "rude"...........................

I think they are pretty good a lot of the time. And both when the Metro phased me, and when the trains I was goin on had a major reschedule due to a problem on the line, those around me were almost amazingly helpful.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, there's a lot to be said for asking locals which mountain places are good to eat at. It can be a bit trial and error otherwise. There seems to be a huge variation around the Tarentaise resorts, from excellent to awful. Although with the euro and pound at parity I'm eating back at the apartment most days so it's all a bit academic really...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a result of this thread we have just introduced the idea of packet lunches for our guests which can be pre-ordered and paid for in sterling before the holiday! I'll let you know if it proves to be popular - I have a feeling it might!!
snow conditions
If You Can't Beat Em, Join Em.

Nowhere near finished packing yet, but you can see the roof box is full, the skis are also up there, the floor of the boot is loaded with Coke, Beer, wine, Gin, Baileys, you name it I've got it even Stilton and baguettes made in France.

There is no way I am paying £100 for lunch and a few beers for the 4 of us over 9 days, especially when the apartment I have rented is on the slopes. I will be eating out probably every other evening and going to a few bars, but with the exchange at 1:1 taking a family skiing, this has to be the way to go.

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/SNV80059.JPG
snow conditions
Spag Bowl.

Not sure about France but here in Austria the bolognese is made with at least 40% Pork. That also applies to all the Hamburgers that are served on the mountain.

Maybe in France they do not even use meat in the sauce & some folk still pay 14 pounds Shocked I would not pay 1.4 Pounds.
snow report
stanton wrote:
.......Not sure about France but here in Austria the bolognese is made with at least 40% Pork. ............

That'd be a betrayal of the customer here.

Quote:
The recipe, issued in 1982 by the Bolognese delegation of Accademia Italiana della Cucina, confines the ingredients to beef, pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, meat broth, red wine, and (optionally) milk or cream

which is pretty much what I expect - though I concede Wikipedia continues

Quote:
However, different recipes, even in the Bolognese tradition, make use of chopped pork or pork sausage....
ski holidays
is Bikeandsnow, saying that this is expensive or cheap for spagetti bolognaise as it seems average.
snow report
Kel, thats some serious amount of coke! Shocked
snow report
Liam wrote:
Kel, thats some serious amount of coke! Shocked

Yes it is, 120 cans to be precise.

Lets do the maths £3 per can on the mountain = £360, 25p per can at Tesco = £30

Saving of £330 on Coke alone Puzzled
snow conditions
Kel, tap water, on the other hand, is free. If you really want sugar in it, you can add your own.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Kel, tap water, on the other hand, is free. If you really want sugar in it, you can add your own.

You are correct, however it is all about choices, I choose to drink Coke, You choose to drink water. No problem.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

If you don't mind drinking the filthy foreign water. wink
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
If You Can't Beat Em, Join Em.

Nowhere near finished packing yet, but you can see the roof box is full, the skis are also up there, the floor of the boot is loaded with Coke, Beer, wine, Gin, Baileys, you name it I've got it even Stilton and baguettes made in France.

There is no way I am paying £100 for lunch and a few beers for the 4 of us over 9 days, especially when the apartment I have rented is on the slopes. I will be eating out probably every other evening and going to a few bars, but with the exchange at 1:1 taking a family skiing, this has to be the way to go.

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/SNV80059.JPG

Loved the photo - looks like our car when we go (except I prefer diet coke). We usually make sandwiches as do many of the French but that is not good when the weather is bad. Have a great trip!! snowHead
ski holidays
PS I meant to say are you going to be selling the handwarmers out there?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy