Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Underwear?

Poster: A snowHead
Have spent ages searching the web to no avail. Why didn't I just search here first?

More info than you probably want but I generally ski in insulated trousers with thermal long johns.

I've just bought a pair of shell trousers (as the insulation sometimes is a little too cosy in spring) and I'm trying to find a pair or two of fleece longjohns with about the same weight as my mid layer top.

Everything I find seems to be base layer weight which means I think I'll be freezing my hind parts.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might sound a bit odd..... But the closest I have seen in this country are actually thermal Pyjamas! I have a couple of pairs which are medium thickness fleecy material that probably would do the trick..... I have seen fleece pants elsewhere, specifically mec.ca which is where I intend to get mine.....

ad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use windproof running tights, not good for sitting around in the snow but great when on the move.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buns, thanks, I found the MEC site but am being boring about paying more than the cost of the pants in shipping and duty! They look good.

Masque, I have a pair of patagonia r1 tights, which I'll use as default (and use for winter running, but I still think I'll have a cold bum.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried these? http://www.planetfear.com/product_detail.asp?d_id=2&c_id=59&s_id=563&p_id=4319
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, I favour these as leg layers too. The North Face make, or made, lightweight fleece long johns that are exactly what you seek. I've got a pair that I use under Goretex XCR shell mountaineering trousers. They're more of a closely fitting tracksuit bottom than a thermal tight. On the very coldest glacier days I wear thin Icebreaker merino thermals underneath as the base layer (the Icebreaker stuff is brilliant gear, highly recommended).

I can't find them on-line in any of the obvious places but I know that the TNF store at Covent Garden had them last year. The closest thing at S&R is Patagonia: http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/Patagonia/products/MPTAT.htm

hey it's saturday night and I'm laid on the sofa with a case of raging flu, looking at pictures of thermal undies on the internet....woo woo!! Madeye-Smiley snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And I'm trying to find the best price for a audio equiped 'Red' helmet for 'spawn' of Masque for his birthday - and saving money for the week after next. I already owe Kuwait Ian a beer and I'm assuming the camel sh***r's gonna have a raging thirst!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I be likin' the cut of them. Thanks folks! Johnny sorry to hear of your illness, but hey! more time to surf Snowheads. Masque, good luck...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, just make sure you avoid cotton!!! Merino wool and/or polyester or other hydrophobic fabric.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got some good thermals by Sub Zero for Crimbo from little brother which I've just tested for a week in the Pyrenees. The packaging says they do 2 weights. I have the heavier type (2) which is fleecy lined tactel, wicks well, comfortable and warm. Good feature is they are quite short as I don't like thermals going down into the boot. Unfortunately I can't find a web site. I also have Low Alpine leggings recommeneded by Masque which also work well after getting me mum to chop a 8" off the legs and hemming them back up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found a supplier with Sub Zero gear https://wwwsecure.net/bikersparadise/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=9&subcat=18&cat=Winter+Clothing

Also noticed the lowe Alpine leggings are already 3/4 length, could have saved my mum some sowing if I'd known about those!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh, absolutely, as they say, "cotton'll kill ya"

Although Vaude do a nice line in proofed jeans http://www.vaude.com

Ideally all I want is a polartec 200 weight long john. Can't be so hard one would imagine...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rich, But they're for 'ladies' (Q Little Britain trailer, ssh will NEVER understand). But then with the physiological changes in the human form that have been recently noted . . . maybe it won't make much difference.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,

Not sure why you would want more than base layer. I use Gore-tex shell pants with long johns and always use a base layer weight. And sometimes they are too warm. I have certainly never considered I would need something warmer!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, I'm just of the opinion that I need to compensate for the lack of insulation in the shells. My recently expired pants were similar weight goretex by with an insulating layer. Underneath had Peak base layer. Definitely think I need the same degree of warmth for winter.
snow conditions
David Murdoch,
I'm thinking my legs got used to the cold running around playing football for all those years..!!
snow conditions
Look more at climbing stores for a wide range. I have a pair of Lowe Alpine fleece joggers which I use for almost all winter sports under shell salopettes.
snow conditions
JT, didn't play football!
snow report
Do you reckon all these "technical base layers" are actually worth the effort? I've skied with and without and never really noticed the difference. Nowadays I just wear a long-sleeve cotton t-shirt under my jacket, and just a pair of boxers under the salopettes, and I don't get cold. I ski the Alps, mainly in January, and I am not "big-boned" before you ask!!!!
I might feel differently if I were to ski in Jan in Canada but I can't help feeling all these £40 base layers are a bit of a rip-off.... sorry!
ski holidays
Definitely worth the effort (having tried both sides of the argument). Don't need to spend 40 quid though...

Found a fine pair of midweights at tog24
ski holidays
Icebreaker merino base layers are worth every penny and will last for yonks. I feel the cold worse than most on lifts and climbs. I also ski hard and sweat hard! Skiing's a sport and cotton's completely hopeless as a sports fabric - ask any runner.
snow conditions
the ice perv, cotton ain't good. It soaks up sweat and stays wet, so it will cool down. You'll be cold and damp as a result honest.

David Murdoch, I use a pair of ski pants that are very nearly a shell as there's nearly no insulation at all. But this hasn't been a problem for me in Europe, although the old back bottom can get a bit chilly on long lifts.

As I'm off to Canada this year I plan to use an old pair of cut down Ron Hills on really cold days.
snow conditions
I've been using thermals made by the Swedish outfit ODLO for a number of years now. Can only recommend them. I also use them with just a thin Gore-Text shell. I'm told that a lot of cross country skiers use this stuff because it's just brilliant at carrying the sweat away form your body. See http://www.odlo.com/ . There's a page with lists of shops selling ODLO stuff in Britain if you're interested http://www.odlo.com/custom/shops/ .
snow conditions
Odlo gear is not cheap but is very high quality and well worth it. The speed with which it dries out is incredible. I've got a some Odlo base and mid-layers that are still in great nick and going strong after 10 years of use every winter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy