Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap version of obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Have been looking around for the perfect resort for us as a family which consists of, a very nervous 3 weeker who is technically good but mentally struggling!, 10 and 7 year old girls who don't want lessons because they are soooooo boring (but I do want them to have them) and myself who likes a couple of good hearty pisted runs in the morning followed by a play on the easier slopes with the family in the afternoon.
I am thinking after a couple of trips to La Ros (which we all like but the transfer is tooo long) that Austria is worth a shot. I have skied there many times on a lads holiday but never with the family but I noticed last year they seem very well set up for the kids ( I want them laughing and chatting and having group involvement, races etc.). My Austrian search has pointed me towards Obergurgl which seems ideal. The crunch however is that the purse strings are tight and Obergurgl doesn't seem to be a resort which can be done on a budget no matter how late we leave it, so are there any other resorts in Austria that offer similar facilities but on more of a shoestring?, date is unimportant after the first week of february.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ollski, Serfuas could fir the bill but don't know if it's much cheaper than Obergurgl http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/news/wetter/ I would normally recommend Oberlech but it is definitely not cheaper than Obergurgl but I'm off with family to Stuben as a cheap base to ski St Anton and Lech http://www.stuben.com/index.php?id=3&L=1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ollski,

Reading between the lines is Obergurgl too expensive because they only have hotels? I was looking for a Brit operated chalet in Obergurgl, the only one I found of reasonal price was Ski Total.

Are you trying to put together your own holiday or do you want a package?

Roughly what's your budget?

If a chalet are you happy with sharing a large one with others?

Are there 4 of you I couldn't work that out? How many rooms do you need?

Do you want self catering, B&B or H/B?

If you can be more specific then you've more chance of sensible replies.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern gets rave reviews on here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obertauern is good and might work for your family, although it's also not cheap compared to most Austrian resorts (although cheaper than Obergurgl I think). I would also definitely look at Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis as per boabski's recommendation. They're really marketing on being a family resort and in terms of ticking the boxes, it has a large-ish area, good snow and wide choice of accommodation. You're not likely to get a package there though, it will need to be DIY.

There are on the whole not a lot of Brit-operated catered chalets in Austria as a whole, literally only a handful, but there are usually plenty of very reasonable 3* half board hotels which are small-ish and family run (plus family-friendly) in most resorts. If you are happy self-catering, then there will be plenty of good value apartments to rent in almost any resort.

If you let us know what kind of accommodation you are looking for, as well as your general 'must-haves' and 'nice-to-haves' we may be able to help more.

D
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well as a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids (10 & 7) we are looking for a resort with plenty of gentle, easy confidence building slopes for my wife and fun ski school with the opportunity for the kids to make other English friends. We would rather have accomodation where we get a chance to socialize with some other adults / families but are limited by budget this year to about 1 - 1.2k as a package. We are going outside school holidays so hoping to do a package rather than Diy as I have just found that with the various costs and unreliable cheap airlines in the last few years diy has become too expensive and unpredictable to do for a family trip, especially with late booking deals.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Billiggurgl or Chavgurgl rolling eyes wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lechbob wrote:
Billiggurgl or Chavgurgl rolling eyes wink

No good, not flying from London airports.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inghams go to Serfaus http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/AUS/SER/index.html as do Crystal http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinations/austria/serfaus/serfaus.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serfaus starts a just shy of 4k!!...mid march!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, I stand corrected!

ollski, do you mean £1k-£1.2k for the whole family, for flights, transfers and accommodation, or £1k each to include liftpass, equipment, tuition etc.?

Sorry not being awkward, just want to clarify.

If the first, then I would suggest that somewhere like Rauris might fit the bill, and you will be able to get a cheap deal there. There isn't masses of terrain but it is varied and very family friendly. Niederau/Oberau also similar, smallish area but greay for families, also Alpbach.

If the second, then I still would recommend Serfaus, but it isn't really cheaper than Obergurgl.

Other cheapish resorts in Austria include Mayrhofen, Zell, and in general the Skiwelt area (Soll, Ellmau, etc.). You will be able to get last minute offers to the Skiwelt, Mayrhofen, Niederau and Rauris, so this might well be a good place to start with your shortlist. Hinterglemm might also be worth a look.

D
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry posts crossed, scratch Serfaus off completely then!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Delia I mean 1 - 1.2k for the package for the family, kids are young and we share a room so I'm probably looking for quiet resort weeks at 5/600 pounds per adult with free child places....that's my logic at the moment.

Rauris seems to have been booked out by tui but even so the resort seems a little small although as a 199 cheapie it may be an option.

Been to Mayrhofen about 5 times including the very first time 19 years ago and would say that there is not enough easy stuff there tbh, also not as family friendly as we would like
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ollski, agree re Mayrhofen, it's more of a groups of friends kind of place than family.

But yes you should get a good deal to Rauris, or the Skiwelt resorts like Ellmau etc. Agree Rauris is small but it is nice and good value.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm taking my family to Obergurgl at Easter and the cheapest way I could find at the time was going self catering. This is also better for us with two kids.

Booked in the Broser apartments which were the only one I could find.

http://www.broser.cc/english/index_start.php

I've not been to Obergurgl before but looks very good for kids from what I read.

The Easyjet Gatwick to Innsbruck flights have also just been released!!

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
David how did you book it?, I can't get that daft booking page to load properly in ie or firefox!
latest report
It seems to work for me so I'm not sure whats wrong. I sent almost the whole town an enquiry looking for somewhere to stay so they where one I sent a block email to. Their adress is wohnen@broser.cc
snow report
ollski, £1000 to £1200 for 4 of you for a week????? Please let me know how you get on as I am completely intruiged. Are you Mafia???? FFS I'm paying £1300 just for flights from Edinburgh to Innsbruck Sad - could have possibly got cheaper by going esyJet but to Munich etc, and don't want the hassle of 10 of us (my family of 5 plus my borther in laws 5) getting long transfers etc. Good luck though.
latest report
As I say, shopping around, booking late, flexible dates, free child places etc all adds up. There is a lot less money around this year and the same number of vacant hotels and apartments. I have already seen lots of 199 package deals now into first week of Feb...just not where I want to go Very Happy
I organized a cheap lads trip to Mayrhofen last year in the first week of march which cost us 200 each for flights, hire car, fuel and accomodation, chucked another 30 quid each in for a trip to the supermarket and we were fixed up for everything except passes and ski hire. (miles cheaper to fly to salzburg / munich and not much longer at all)
snow conditions
Managed to get package to Obergurgl on 17/1/09 (s/c pension) for 351 each with free child places (+supplement) and a little lads trip to Soll on 7/3/09 for 179 B&B
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy