Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Near Albertville/Moutiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs C and I have booked accommodation in Albertville and Moutiers for a week from 29th December. (Incidentally we have opted for Albertville on New Year's Eve as last year it appeared to be the home of the ONLY - yes ONLY - open restaurant in France outside of a ski resort... A great Indian at that!)

As veterans of the usual mega resorts in the area (such as the 3 Valleys, Espace Killy, Paradiski and La Rosiere) we'd be interested to know if there are any lesser known/less frequented resorts worth a day trip?

Is Les Saisies worth a visit, for example? If so, how long will it take to drive from Albertville?

And what about St. Foy? I've driven past it many times but not skied there yet.

Although we like to ski some challenging stuff we always find that new places are great to ski provided there's decent snow. For example, we had a great couple of days last New Year at St. Francois Longchamp and Valfrejus.

Any thoughts or any recommendations?

Inevitably we'll end up putting in 2 or 3 days in the 3 Valleys (as we find that its lift system and pistes cope ok with the New Year crowds) but wouldn't mind trying somewhere different for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Areches is not that far away, two mountains, about 2 to 3 km apart and not linked. One is mostly all reds. There is about 50km of pistes. The off piste was quite fun when we were there for a day, but it was hammering with snow. There was no one there at all. Quite a few drag lifts. I think it took about 40 mins to drive there from albertville. Les saisies is not far either. I am sure Pam w will be here soon, or do a search on her posts as she has a place there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Albertville La Clusaz is within a striking distance for a day trip and Megeve (Domain Evasion) isn't that far off either.

There are 1600km piste in Tarentaise so a week or two is only good enough to scratch its surface.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
John Crawford, it will take you 40 minutes to drive from Albertville, via Villard sur Doron and up to Bisanne 1500, to access the Espace Diamant. You could spend a day or two exploring the Espace Diamant - 175km of pistes without taking your skis off. At Bisanne 1500 you will be able to park free all day, right by the Rosieres chairlift, and you can buy a lift pass there too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If there's any soft stuff around then you've got to St. Foy (not that I've been) but it's on the list for this season as a bit of an off piste paradise.

I'd also spend a day looking at some of the smaller 'resorts' i.e. a few chairs and a couple of drags - you can find out more of these places here - http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Northern-Alps

HAve fun!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Is Les Saisies worth a visit, for example? If so, how long will it take to drive from Albertville?"

...depends how well you know the road Twisted Evil 28kms can be negotiated fairly quickly if its dry, its a cracking drive up AND down. One day i will get to drive it in my pride and joy and next summer i'll be cycling up it snowHead

Is it worth a visit? ...for sure, probably better snow for it's height than many other places close by and whilst the skiing on piste is probably not the most challenging, the area is nicely linked with other smaller resorts and scenery more than make up for that.

You've also got access to Les Contamines (via Hauteluce) if you don't turn off to head up to Les Saisies and that has some good testing terrain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crest Voland not too far either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valmorel just up the road - very nice and a bit 'different'.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Crest Voland not too far either.

Crest Voland is part of the Espace Diamant - you can get there on skis from Bisanne 1500. Depends on the weather; in high winds and poor vis CV has the tree skiing. But for challenge, Notre Dame de Bellecombe is the answer. Long (and usually pretty deserted) red runs and some accessible off piste.

To go to Les Contamines, be sure to find the route via Hauteluce to Belleville, which isn't obvious if you don't have a good scale map. It's far quicker than the trek round by road and you get straight up to the best of the skiing. Plenty of free parking at the bottom of the gondola in Belleville.

Areches-Beaufort, well worth a visit particularly if the liaison between the two areas is open, apparently has some brilliant off-piste, but I wouldn't know about that. wink It's a really "different" place to ski; you are unlikely to hear English spoken in Areches though it's more and more common in the Espace Diamant as DIY skiers discover the area. Areches can be cold and exposed - best avoided on the chilliest days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike,

When the OP mentioned St Francis LongChamp he was already skiing in Valmorel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much for all the advice so far.

Looks like we'll be exploring some new places this new Year! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I second (third?) Valmorel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Areches Beaufort is officially (I think) the closest resort to Albertville. But don't go there. No, no, nothing to see, stay away. Not the best off-piste in the Alps at all. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Sainte Foy is also superb, on and off piste. But I would say that... Seriously, the area is relatively small, but much bigger than the 4 chairlifts would suggest. The on-piste has a nice, continuous gradient and is very well maintained. The off-piste, well, it's almost as good as Areches...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy