Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First lifts in the morning.... are we the mads ones?

Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:

But not in April. The sun doesn't go down till well after 6! Why stop the lift at 4:30? Though I suspect this is a European thing? In N.A., it's pretty common to run the lift all the way till 5:30 after daylight saving time starts (March/April).

Not having been but I had been lead to believe that in NA that lifts shut early any time of the year and this was one of the downsides. Where does the truth lie?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I had heard the same about US ski lifts closing very early.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, i see mostly hills, occasionally with slush and rarely with good skiable snow Sad

fortunately, bigger hills with snow on are only a couple of hours away Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for sharing your opinions, I'm glad I'm not totally mad, but it wouldn't have changed me even if you'd all said I was. The more time I can spend on the slopes, the more chance I have of improving and pushing myself to achieve greater goals!! Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevew, I thought everyone would be like me and was a bit confused when I organised a trip for all my mates who hadn't been before and they all complained about having to get up for ski school at 10! It seems that even the majority on snowHead aren't like us so maybe the answer to the original question is: yes, we are mad - enjoy it. Wink

At least I can understand my OH not skiing at all some days now. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First tracks rock. In Mont tremblant if you buy accomodation, you get free first tracks, which are unaveliable for other skiers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevew wrote:
abc wrote:

But not in April. The sun doesn't go down till well after 6! Why stop the lift at 4:30? Though I suspect this is a European thing? In N.A., it's pretty common to run the lift all the way till 5:30 after daylight saving time starts (March/April).

Not having been but I had been lead to believe that in NA that lifts shut early any time of the year and this was one of the downsides. Where does the truth lie?

The truth lies with the calendar (or the Sun, really). Lift closing time changes with the season. In mid-winter, it's cold and gets dark early. So lift closes early. But late in the season, the sun is out longer so the lift runs till later.

Funny if you put the stareotype of NA skiing together, it doesn't quite fit:

"The mountains are small". So who cares if "the lift is closing early" if you already covered all the pistes 3 times over? Especially if there's "no lines at the lift", nor any "mountain resturants" to have a leasurely lunch! Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
in the fresh stuff i'll be itching to get on the first lift but as other have said first onto boilerplate is less attractive to me and whats left of my knees Laughing

Not many things as fantastic as looking around first thing on a powder day whilst on a lift and knowing what you're about to spend your day playing in......... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

"The mountains are small". So who cares if "the lift is closing early" if you already covered all the pistes 3 times over?

That isnt the meaning of "small". The stereotype is that there is quite a bit of area, but not much vertical. (i.e. "small" in this context means "low").

Quote:

Especially if there's "no lines at the lift",

God knows where you got that "stereotype" from. I always thiught there are far more lines at the lifts in NA, largely because they tend to have more runs per lift than in Europe.

Quote:

nor any "mountain resturants" to have a leasurely lunch! Wink

Not sure why that would affect your desire to have the lifts close later. The people who want leisureley lunches also tend IME to be the ones who don't actually ski much after lunch.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love the first lift, the empty piste, the silence, I adore hearing my skis work on the fresh snow. The first run of the day is always my favourite. It the light is always fantastic too .... ahhh about time I hit the snow again.

BTW I'm a ski the backside out out of it person too, I'm too tight to not get the most out of my lift pass!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am a holiday-lover as well as a ski-lover, so what time I get up/eat/ski/come off the mountain is completely dictated by what I feel like doing on any given day. Sometimes that is first lift up and last down, sometimes it's long lunches and very little skiing, sometimes it's late starts and no lunch, or late finishes etc.

I don't set an alarm but am usually up at around 7.30ish. I would hate to be on holiday and feel 'bad' at having inadvertently slept in and missed the first lift, and I feel that making the most of the holiday/liftpass etc. means doing whatever makes me enjoy the holiday the most, be that skiing my a$$ off every day, or having a few leisurely days in between. I don't feel obliged to ski 7 hours x 6 days if I don't feel like it.

But we are all so very different, which is undoubtedly a good thing!

D
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First lift for me unless it's a freeze thaw day with no fresh snow. It's a criminal offence to miss the first lift on a powder day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
first lift.. in fact i like to be up n out well before the first lift.. nothing like it early in the morning no one around no rushing.. if the weathers crap ill still want to get up early get up the mountain and hang around in the area i want to be . if the light gets better your ready to go.. if it dosent then i sooner have a few beers up top rather than in the hotel .. and even if its a shocker its still fun to do a few runs in terrible conditions
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course you have not had a real mountain experience until you are smack in the first chair or even better gondola (when there are more tired people to look at, of course) in the morning , minus 12, and you observe the manchester grooves are only waiting for YOU... ! wink wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing better than knowing the mountain is all ours for 30 - 40 minutes

ski holidays
try Copper Mountain, Colorado - BeeLine pass gets you on the lifts approx 15 mins before the crowds, first on the lift, first day of the holiday, blasted the first piste - superb snowHead
ski holidays
I'm not much of a lark but last season I coerced into first lifts at Radstaadt, loved it so much, did it again the following day. Wouldn't do it everyday but if the conditions are right, it's definitely worth it
snow conditions
Quote:

Not sure why that would affect your desire to have the lifts close later. The people who want leisureley lunches also tend IME to be the ones who don't actually ski much after lunch.

You maybe entitle to your own opinion. But that opinion is not backed by facts.

Smart skier gets up for first chair, have the mountain to themselves for 2+ hrs. Break early (~11:30) for a leasurely lunch (up to ~2hrs), and still have plenty of time to get in quite a lot of skiing, without having to fight the mad crowd on the piste back to the village!
snow report
I'm a first lift person, usually quieter slopes while the ski schoolers are sorting them selves out. Maybe a mid morning break, or an early luch, again this means more choice and, if the weathers bad (snowing snowHead ) a table to sit at inside. The afternoon basically goes for as long as my legs will carry me, sometimes not so long! Sad But that also can have an advantage of a seat on a mountain restaurant before ski-ing back to resort as late as I can. So, I ski, rest ski, eat, ski, rest, ski ! (Rest, may include the odd beverage wink )
Its a hard life really. Smile Roll on Friday 15th and Val Thorens !! snowHead I just hope my training has prepared me for all this 'resting'. wink
latest report
abc wrote:
Quote:

You maybe entitle to your own opinion. But that opinion is not backed by facts.

Yes it is.

I said "IME" and it is a fact that those few people I know who go for a leisurely lunch habve a tendency not to do too mauch afterwards.

Quote:

Smart skier gets up for first chair, have the mountain to themselves for 2+ hrs. Break early (~11:30) for a leasurely lunch (up to ~2hrs), and still have plenty of time to get in quite a lot of skiing, without having to fight the mad crowd on the piste back to the village!

You may well do that. But since I don't know you, that means you are not part of "IME". Very Happy

I'm sure there are others who act like that too. There are always execptions to any "tendency".
ski holidays
abc, alex_heney, since neither you has the facts to back up whether this is, in fact, a general 'tendency', what on earth is the point arguing about it? rolling eyes
latest report
I don't generally get to the very first lifts, but I do like an early(ish) start, family and skiing companions permitting. Ideally to beat the 10.00 ski schools at the vary latest.

However I also like an early(ish) finish so that you miss the crowds queuing to get the last lifts down, and instead watch the carnage on the narrow runs back from the comfort of a warm BAR with a nice beer and Schnapps chasing away the aches and pains.

Balancing exertion with relaxation is for me the secret of a perfect skiing holiday. snowHead
snow conditions
IME, people who claim to be pacing at the lift station waiting for the first lift, and then claim to ski all day and follow the pisteurs down at night, tend to exaggerate, especially with regard to their own ability Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
abc, alex_heney, since neither you has the facts to back up whether this is, in fact, a general 'tendency', what on earth is the point arguing about it? rolling eyes

Becauase he told me that "my experience" was not "my experience" Smile
latest report
Ooops, just realised that I did the whole 'reply to the thread at the bottom of page 1 without noticing it had moved on to page three' thing. Embarassed

Sorry to interrupt chaps, do continue ..... Now in your opinion who's experience was a valid basis for forming an opinion?

Toofy Grin
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Becauase he told me that "my experience" was not "my experience" Smile
You are wrong ....................................................... as he is a SHE Very Happy
ski holidays
Axsman, Frosty the Snowman, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Hurtle is a 'she', but alex_heney, was talking about abc (I think) or is he a she also. Puzzled

That's it, my head hurtz.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

alex_heney, was talking about abc (I think) or is he a she also

I think he was and also think that she is.
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle, Aha! That's cleared it up then. Laughing Laughing

Now shall we get another lift, or have another beer?*

*IMHO the most important question of the day Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Axsman, It's still lunch time in France Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Well that makes the decision somewhat easier - mine's a 1664 - cheers! Laughing
latest report
Axsman, Petit, Grande or Serieux? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Serieux, naturellement! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
my first week in the alps in jan il be at the ski school with the crowds....

wen i did scotland i think we got to cairngorm 30mins after the lifts opened still a relatively early start
latest report
Axsman wrote:
..... Now in your opinion who's experience was a valid basis for forming an opinion?
Toofy Grin

The one formed at a (or two?) snowhead bash!
snow report
abc, Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

alex_heney, was talking about abc (I think) or is he a she also

I think he was and also think that she is.
Laughing Laughing

I was, and I didn't know Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy