Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your views on Solden

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
just about to book my ski trip for january 31, im thinking of heading to solden, is this resort ok or not?
Im only a beginner just skied twice before i like good aspri bars after ski and good bars at night, so would like advice on this resort,
Just two males going together as a couple, if anybody would recommend any other good resorts please do, all advice and info wellcome.
We have being to st Johann and sallbach. didnt really like sallbach its made out to be better then it was,
I did like st johann,
Please give me all the help ye can to choose a good trip. i do like lots of good deep snow, i dont like south facing slopes were there is to much sun snow melts to quick like last year in sallbach
Cheers all,
From jay in Dublin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayo wrote:
Hi all
just about to book my ski trip for january 31, im thinking of heading to solden, is this resort ok or not?
Im only a beginner just skied twice before i like good aspri bars after ski and good bars at night, so would like advice on this resort,
Just two males going together as a couple, if anybody would recommend any other good resorts please do, all advice and info wellcome.
We have being to st Johann and sallbach. didnt really like sallbach its made out to be better then it was,
I did like st johann,
Please give me all the help ye can to choose a good trip. i do like lots of good deep snow, i dont like south facing slopes were there is to much sun snow melts to quick like last year in sallbach
Cheers all,
From jay in Dublin

Hi Jay

Welcome to snowHead

Not been to Solden myself, but generally speaking the austrian resorts are more 'lively' in terms of apres-ski than the French ones.

I think you've posted this in the wrong section - it might be better in 'resorts' and probably worth starting a new thread for it as well, along the lines of 'views of solden?'

Good Luck wherever you end-up going!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jayo, I have been to Solden, and if you want Nightclubs and bars that stay open 'til the early hours, you won't go far wrong. The Clubs and bars are spread right along the main road that runs through the town. The skiing will be more than adequate for your needs and it is snowsure. There are not many British TOs going to Solden, and therefore not many Brits about, but plenty of Dutch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solden is good. Very good.

Skiing area I thought was excellent, but not too many challenging pistes. But some spectacular scenery and the snow should be good. Good lift network, although some queues getting out of the village in the mornings.

Apres ski - quite a few lively bars and clubs, titty bars to boot if that get's your attention. Fire & Ice bar excellent.

We went there as an alternative to Ischgl, but Ischgl wins hands down, imho.

It's major drawback is the main road which runs through the centre of town, it just takes away from that 'magic alpine charm' which Ischgl, St Anton and other resorts in Austria have.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, yeah I agree about the road, and lack of challenging pistes Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
*IncogSkiSno*, yeah, the road is not very Jager-friendly Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith, Laughing Laughing

Not sure when you went, but we were there New Year and that main road was awash with fireworks. We saw in the New Year, in the round bar at the bottom of one of the pistes (sorry forget the name) and on the stroke of midnight the roof slid back to view the firewark display - the Austrians sure know how to do New Year Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
*IncogSkiSno*, I think I know the bar you mean, at the bottom of the pistes at the far right side of the lift network (as you are looking at it on the piste map). No fireworks in mid Jan. But a good atmosphere none the less.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The main road is not a great asset but just off this there are some great little corners of the resort. Solden is the statistically the biggest winter resort in Austria. Debates rage as to which is the best apres ski but Solden is up there amongst the very best. It also has 2 glaciers for complete snow sure reliability. Sodlen in jan will be cold and the snow should be very good. Snowing there right now and here in Innsbruck, at least my village above Innsbruck.

have a great time
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Solden is a fine resort with reliable snow, predominantly intermediate skiing and great apres ski. Attracts a lot of Dutch who are always up for a party. English speakers are few and far between. However, by Austrian standards it is not a particularly attractive place. A main road runs through it carrying traffic that is merely passing through. It is also at the bottom of a narrow valley which means that much of the accommodation is hillside. When I went you could ski from the hotel to the lift station in the morning but the prospect of the walk uphill back to the hotel was too daunting so got a taxi every time. If you've got a few more pennies to spare I would recommend Ischgl, just as reliable snow, prettier place and totally manic apres ski. If Carlsberg did ski resorts they'd do Ischgl.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have only skied in Austria once (mayrhofen) but have booked solden for March. I did lik Mayrhofen, but that road seemedfairly busy and dangerous after leaving the ice bar Blush

The terrain in Mayrhofen seemed a lot easier than all the French resorts that I have been to, the grading seems totally different to france. How does Solden compare to Mayhofen?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy