Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the worst airline carriers for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Lou, we've got a Halifax Easycash Visa Electron just for booking flights, it's free with the Electron card.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard wrote:
thefatcontroller, your blindness to the world around you bothers me not one whit. NehNeh

Coming from you I take that as a compliment Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
Lou, we've got a Halifax Easycash Visa Electron just for booking flights, it's free with the Electron card.

Lou, See you can save wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, though I drove to central Italy and back in August for £300, incl. diesel, tolls and ferry so yes you can save if you want wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly BA or a proper airline. I took 50+kg to Zurich last week and had no problems. On the way out it was all in one bag and went as oversized, on the way home I was asked to split it into two bags as one item can not weigh over 32 kg apparently - one went as check in luggage the other containing skis and a few bits as oversized.
The BA check in staff were perfectly civil and it wasn't a problem.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grimsby Ranger, thanks, a helpful tip.

thefatcontroller, great, but do you get my point? Toofy Grin

Never mind.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weeSKI, yes, but people want the expensive service while paying a budget price. (Apart from that Thomas the Tank Engine chappie, who just wants to advertise his mobile nightclub.) Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou, I genuinley do Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
thefatcontroller, though I drove to central Italy and back in August for £300, incl. diesel, tolls and ferry so yes you can save if you want wink

Would be interested to see the breakdown in costs?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
weeSKI, yes, but people want the expensive service while paying a budget price. (Apart from that Thomas the Tank Engine chappie, who just wants to advertise his mobile nightclub.) Laughing

100% agree all for paying a real cost for real service. Toofy Grin .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
weeSKI, yes, but people want the expensive service while paying a budget price.
But then I've rarely found BA much (if indeed any) more expensive than the 'low-cost' airlines - especially if I plan to fly into an airport that's actually where it says it is...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BA lost my luggage along with 50 other last season- I missed out on 3 days skiing and they didnt offer me anymore than $50 of compensation- teminal 5 working- rubbish! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

100% agree all for paying a real cost for real service. Toofy Grin .

I'm at work so haven't got the exact costs with me but from memory the ferry was £35 return, booked well in advance. My car uses diesel and easily gets 60mpg on a run if I don't thrash it too much, we got most of our diesel in Luxembourg and paid about €1.16 a litre. We obvously started with a very full tank in England to get to Lux. and also had top ups in Italy and Switzerland coming back before we got to the cheap stuff. We got the ferry to Dunkirk and went Belgium, Lux, France, Switzerland, Italy route to avoid the French tolls. We had a few tolls to pay before Italy but hardly anything, the Italian tolls were €38 each way. I probably should have said around £300 as I can't remember if it was just over or just under all in all but it wasn't far off. Oh and it included the Swiss tax too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
and went Belgium, Lux, France, Switzerland, Italy route to avoid the French tolls.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Jesus you would need a holiday after that?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a nomination for best carrier for skiing ( if it's based on price).

Germanwings from Stansted to Stuttgart, we paid £36pp return 7-15 Feb 2009 inc 20kg bag, all fees & FREE SKI CARRIAGE. I'll let you know what the service is like when we get back.

Stuttgart airport is right on the Autobahn on south-west of city, so pretty handy for all points E of Zurich and W of Innsbruck
snow conditions
luigi, I've flown on business with German Wings - they were fine.
snow report
blizt wrote:
Quote:

Ryanair also charge £30 (£15 each way) and Easyjet charge only a bit less. Basically they would prefer if we had no luggage.

snowball, Ryanair now £50 (£25 each way) for a pair of skis or a snowboard Shocked Shocked It'd be far cheaper to buy them a seat on the plane - do you think they'd be allowed aboard without a passport? Laughing

Yes, you are right - I should have checked before writing that. Is it Easyjet who are £30 or have I just got muddled with another year?
snow conditions
snowball, Easyjet quoted us last week over £30 each to carry skis, will hire for the short break on that basis.
snow conditions
I flew with BA from terminal 5 last week, to Munich. As it was early in the season the check in girl evidently wasn't aware of their own sports equipment policy. I said I had 3 bags, she said that's £25 excess per bag (or whatever the amount is). I said but it's skis and boots, she said oh righ - sports equipment, but you can only take one bag. I say no - your website quite clearly states skis and boots. Check in girl had to call a supervisor to confirm. I was getting slightly wound up, they should know their own rules! (and i should have taken a print out of them with me).
latest report
Quote:

Is it Easyjet who are £30 or have I just got muddled with another year?

snowball, we paid £33 for the return journey with Easyjet at Xmas. Still seems a lot but considerably less than the Ryanair £50. When we were booking our Xmas flights, the Ryanair outbound flight that we could have used was quoted as £0.00 but by the time we'd added on tax, a hold bag & skis it worked out more than the Easyjet flights
snow report
Lou,

Quote:

and then a whopping charge for using a card to pay. How the hell else am I supposed to pay online?

Saw Dick Turpin (or whatever his name is....) that runs Ryanair on TV this week. He says it's free if you pay by Visa Electron and that 20% of Ryanair customers use that payment method.

Anybody got one? Do all the banks do 'em? Or do you get them through Visa or something??
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Lou, Saw Dick Turpin (or whatever his name is....) that runs Ryanair on TV this week. He says it's free if you pay by Visa Electron and that 20% of Ryanair customers use that payment method.

Anybody got one? Do all the banks do 'em? Or do you get them through Visa or something??

You mean the incredibly successful multi millionaire business man who broke Are Lingus's monopoly on Irish air travel and also the cartel the main airline carriers had on european air travel?

Answer was in thread above.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1062649#1062649
snow report
"Dick Turpin" He would have a laugh at that, which is better than him laughing at you!!!
snow conditions
This is one of those subjects that I've completely ignored thinking - I'll never need to fly to go skiing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So now what am I about to do? Yes, fly to go skiing.

So I've hit the search function and ended up with this thread which seems to have recent posts on the subject. I don't know how you all manage - we will be flying Easy Jet out of Stanstead (assuming that the world finance crisis doesn't cause them to go out of business the day before rolling eyes ). I've been told I've got 20Kg to play with as hold baggage Laughing Laughing Laughing So I thought, well while I've got time to spare I weigh my suitcase with just my boots in it (we are hiring skis when we get there) and see what I've got to play with. The bad news is that boots + suitcase weigh 10.4Kg Shocked Shocked Boots weigh 4.2Kg just by themselves Shocked (I own a big solid body suitcase).

So I thought I would put boots and hand luggage into the seach function and you are discussing the issue here, but as per other cursory looks that I've had at threads on the subject there appears to be no definitive answer even here in this recent thread. So at the risk of being told to and use the search function, does anyone know whether I will get away with boots as hand luggage flying Stanstead to Geneva in the middle of December or whether I have to put them in my suitcase?
snow report
tbanting, I went with Crystal on my first hol (flew BA) and we had two baords and two sets of boots in one bag and just paid the fee for one set. No-one checked and even when the BA handler's back nearly snapped in two loading it into the oversize baggage scanner, it wasn't queried. Just test it and see if they can be bothered to implement HQ's protocol...
snow conditions
Megamum, get a lighter bag. A 10kg suitcase is just silliness.
ski holidays
Megamum, My boots weigh 6Kg Mad . You will not be able to get them on as hand luggage. You just need to pack very, very carefully not forgetting what you wear doesn't count and you can take a hand luggage bag. As Lizzard says look for a lighter bag.
snow report
Easyjet always send you an email advertising a sale the day after you pay for the flights..

plus once you've used easyjet or similar once then you know what teh charges are likely to be so can't really be seen as hidden.

Bristol airport porbably says no boots because the always seem to ask you to take your shoes off, or probably more to do with their long security queues then a specific threat issue
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleasyjet have just emailed me with a skis fly free offer if you book in the next week

- only 2 drawbacks

1 Click on the terms and conditions & it says offer has been withdrawn for technical reasons

2 Only valid for return flights before 28 March (obviously all snow in Europe melts on this date) - if I was being cynical I might suggest this is deliberate to continue to extract Ester bookings from people who might not find out they do not qualify until too late.

Michelle - want to have a word/
snow report
I do find these threads a tad amusing ... it is the same forum where folks dont object to paying £100+ each-way from airport to resort and undoubtedly a few quid more from home to airport as well .. I am right?

Sorry to tell you guys but the days of 'Cheap' air travel have gone ... EZ and others now have to deliver the occasional profit ... there'll always be another mug who thinks aviation makes money ... here today and errggghhh gone today as well.

I dont like the way the industry 'cuts-and-dices' its fare structure/(s) either but everyone SO loved £1 fares ...
snow report
weeSKI wrote:
Fly BA or a proper airline.

To where?

I don't want to go to London to ski and BA don't fly anywhere else from here.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
BA don't fly anywhere else from here.

Move then wink
snow conditions
Agenterre, how could I have been so blind?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, How long have we got ? ... Shouldnt we be asking Mrs G that question? wink
latest report
Agenterre, no need. She asks me every night.
latest report
Mosha Marc, Laughing Laughing Laughing -- Touchee!
snow report
Megamum, Richard E took his boots through Stansted as hand luggage in Nov 2007 to the PSB - however, I don't know if the same applies now.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
This is one of those subjects that I've completely ignored thinking - I'll never need to fly to go skiing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So now what am I about to do? Yes, fly to go skiing.

So I've hit the search function and ended up with this thread which seems to have recent posts on the subject. I don't know how you all manage - we will be flying Easy Jet out of Stanstead (assuming that the world finance crisis doesn't cause them to go out of business the day before rolling eyes ). I've been told I've got 20Kg to play with as hold baggage Laughing Laughing Laughing So I thought, well while I've got time to spare I weigh my suitcase with just my boots in it (we are hiring skis when we get there) and see what I've got to play with. The bad news is that boots + suitcase weigh 10.4Kg Shocked Shocked Boots weigh 4.2Kg just by themselves Shocked (I own a big solid body suitcase).

So I thought I would put boots and hand luggage into the seach function and you are discussing the issue here, but as per other cursory looks that I've had at threads on the subject there appears to be no definitive answer even here in this recent thread. So at the risk of being told to and use the search function, does anyone know whether I will get away with boots as hand luggage flying Stanstead to Geneva in the middle of December or whether I have to put them in my suitcase?

Megamum

Get yourself a 'big' kit bag - i.e. a board bag or two. The bit you missed with sleazy is that once you've paid for 1x pair of skis you get an extra 12kg of luggage allowance, so you know have a 32kg luggage allowance. For long weekends I've just stacked the board bag with all the kit and then taken a back pack with the valuables, I've managed a couple of 5 day trips that way, but haven't yet made a 7 day trip with 'just the board bag' although i need to try. They never check whether you've got skis in or not. So get one 'board bag' shove it full of boats for the family and spare thermals ec, pay the dough and roberts you're fathers brother
snow report
bertie bassett, Thanks for the tip, but I think the bit you missed in my post is that we haven't paid for taking skis we are hiring in resort as its only a short trip. I've got the big ski bag with wheels from the epic VT by train trip last April, but won't be using it in Dec. due to not taking my skis.
snow report
Megamum, as above, lighter bag, wear more out there, pack as much into hand luggage and expect to smell a bit when you run out of fresh clothing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy