Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone seen this or tried it for cheaper Saturday skiing?

http://www.lesarcs.com/Samedijeskie-com,1768.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller wrote:

Seen it / heard of it, but it's really aimed at les francais n'est pas? - not much point if you've got a season pass...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
unny old day today - looked overcast and flat light, but come about 10:30 the sun came out and it was well nice on renard and similar pistes. All the upper lifts were closed - i.e the links to 2000 bowl due to high winds. This left the lower runs a bit busy especially during morning ski-school. Saw the back end of a nasty crash on a blue / red junction in Peisey-Vallandry - an ambulance was later seen ready at the mont blanc bar.

Around 12 the sun went in but the pistes around Derby were nice, and out of the wind. Come 2pm then it seemed to get even more windy, snow was being blown off the pistes so it was getting icy in exposed pistes - event the ones down to 1800, top of the vagere was particularly unpleasant. come around 2:30 the arpette opened briefly, and on the way home around 3:30 the gd renard was open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Mmmm I do agree about the entrance to Clair Blanc, by far the worst part...

Today was fairly quiet again, although the higher lifts were closed because of high wind. Pistes are holding up very well, but most off piste, 'in sight' of piste is well tracked out....unless you know.....

Sprinkling forecast for tonight.. fingers crossed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, bertie bassett, Yes, The Fench use
Quote:

this a lot at weekends, I believe it's basically Saturday half price.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ou est la neige? Local forecast said a fair amount of snow today, but we ended up with a lot of wind and a good amount of sunshine. A few lift queues because more people were squeezed into a smaller area due to the top lifts being closed for most of the day, but not manically busy. Bumped into bertie bassett a couple of times, once when he was in ski school and then again in the afternnon so we skied together for a litlle while.

Spent an enjoyable morning teaching, then a bit of work on my bumps and a quick blast with Bertie before heading down to Bourg for a session at the launderette. What fun! A few photos from the day, with, as usual, more on my blog.

Who said snowboards don't have a use? Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Brought it back to Hampshire with me wink

Had a great 2 weeks there - every sort of weather imaginable, & a fantastic off piste trip from St FOy on Friday with thigh deep beautiful powder. For the first time I experienced the 'floating' thing in powder Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
genepi, nice!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm wrote:
rob@rar, Mmmm I do agree about the entrance to Clair Blanc, by far the worst part...

Keeps those that really shouldn't be on it off though... but hopefully not sending them down Fond Blanc, which is, as you say, just a bit bigger bumps, and slighty steeper, for that little bit further.

I think last time I did it, I made a complete plonker of myself - late in the day and far too tired to do anything even approaching stylish. More a survival descent!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The weather was kinder today, with hardly any wind and only a bit of high level cloud which slowly disappeared as the day went on. Spent most of the day around the Arc 2000 bowl. On piste snow remains in excellent condition, and it's fairly quiet around the resort. No lift queues and quiet pistes if you avoid the busy ones Smile

Went to see the Husky dogsled pack below Arc 1950 in the afternoon. A very impressive group of animals, who can haul along their sled at a fair old pace.

Continuing the wildlife theme, I saw my first Marmottes of the season appropriately enough at the Marmotte lift near Arc 1950:

More photos and stuff on my blog.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:

Continuing the wildlife theme, I saw my first Marmottes of the season appropriately enough at the Marmotte lift near Arc 1950:

good to see they are no longer on strike like they were last week..along with the rest of france!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

good to see they are no longer on strike like they were last week..along with the rest of france!!

Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
today - mixed sun/overcast, not that windy and generally the pistes are holding up well - early doors the groomed ones are loverly for blasting, then come around 11 given it's been quite warm (relatively) then they've been softening up and getting a little lumpy. Off-piste is hard packed or crusty really.

Need a top-up - some forecast for Thursday night, but the weather feels very changeable at the mo...so it's a believe it when we see it...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, You've said it all about the conditions, but IMHO, there seems to be a large percentage of numphties about, although it's actually fairly quiet, overall. Very nearly got 'taken out' a couple of times today, there seems to be quite a number of people determined to go 'slighty' quicker than perhaps they should? Perhaps it's me.......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm wrote:
bertie bassett, You've said it all about the conditions, but IMHO, there seems to be a large percentage of numphties about, although it's actually fairly quiet, overall. Very nearly got 'taken out' a couple of times today, there seems to be quite a number of people determined to go 'slighty' quicker than perhaps they should? Perhaps it's me.......

Haven't felt that, but then i tend not to hang around myself and there's a big 12:30 drop off for 90 minutes, as everyone goes to play football rather than ski so that's a good time to blast, work on the lumps etc..

I have noticed a lot of people just skiing without looking around at the crossing points and going stragitht through without checking no one will crash into them. I guess I'm pretty aware now of where most / all the crossing points are, but people seem to have poor peripheral vision.

For a quiet week - I've seen a ridiculous number of blood-wagons, an average of 4 a day at the moment...
ski holidays
Apart from the usual bottlenecks where two or three pistes come together I haven't felt it was that busy. I've been a bit more cautious than usual because I've had a beginner with me for most of the past week, but I don't think I've been too bothered by the few idiots who ski with more speed than they are capable of controlling. Just wait for the next couple of weeks to see how busy it can get...
ski holidays
rob@rar, bertie bassett, Yes, That's exactly what I was saying - crossing points, etc..... I don't hang about either.....
Got a guide tomorrow, not sure where we're going, looking forward though, will keep you posted..

bertie bassett, will be in the Le'Relax tomorrow at about 2:30, if you fancy a 'coffee'.

Allan
snow report
allanm, where is the 'le relax', might see you there if the weather is ok tomorrow. Am having a day off from the races in Val.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, bertie bassett,
Bottom of Vallandry lift, as you go down to the lift, it's just on you're left looking down. Would be great to see you again - I have lesson / off piste 12:30 to 2:30, so won't be there before 2:30, but will probably stay there for a while when I get there.

Al'
snow conditions
Another odd day today - was meant to be warm but didn't feel that way probably due to the wind. Still come 7pm it was still not freezing @ 1650 so that gives you an idea of the temperatures. Pretty windy again come the afternoon - Varet, cable-car and grand col all closed come around 2pm as too windy. Pistes starting to suffer in places, especially in the 2000 bowl, with some stones and dark patches starting to show on the high traffic pistes - e.g towards the bottom of plan and in places on teppes. Really need a snowfall before next weekend when the masses descend...
snow conditions
allanm, I got to the Relax at 3pm, could not find you, guess I was to late, hope we can meet up another time. bertie bassett, did you manage to get there.

Today on my return I was amazed at the change in snow conditions. Icy into peisey, vallandry, 1600 and 1800. Arc 2000, 1950 areas were also starting show some warn patches. Even up on the grand col you could find small stones if you were not careful. The wind has done its worst. The off piste was either very crusty and wind blown or so well skied it was very smooth and icy. Again, the wind and a lot of side slipping had made quite a difference in a few days.

I do not want to make it sound all bad. Malgovert still looks fun and crusing the pistes whilst it is not to busy was quite enjoyable. But as bertie bassett, says, hope we get some more snow before the masses start to arrive over this weekend. It is the start of the French holidays on saturday.
latest report
snowcrazy, Must have missed by seconds...I left at three.

Did the off-piste route from the top of the Transarc back to Nancrois, think we ended in 'Combe de L'Etroit, but not really sure. Conditions were very poor- very flat light and crusty, windswept snow, but as it was the first time 'properly' off-piste, it was great.

ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
allanm, I got to the Relax at 3pm, could not find you, guess I was to late, hope we can meet up another time. bertie bassett, did you manage to get there.

Didn't make it as was running down to BSM in the arvo..

Today on my return I was amazed at the change in snow conditions. Icy into peisey, vallandry, 1600 and 1800. Arc 2000, 1950 areas were also starting show some warn patches. [/quote]

I went over to 1600 today and actually though the piste into 1600 was in better condition than I'd seen it one some previous occasions - there was a complete lack of the 'icy marbles' that you sometimes seem to get on it which I guess comes from snow making. The pistes around 1600 Arolles, Mont Blanc still generally in decent shape..

But yes more snow required..signs by the derby promised snow down to 500m tomorrow, but like all weather forecasts this week, believe it when I see it..
snow report
allanm, yep must have just missed eachother, pleased you had a good trip down col du chal. After the promised snow this weekend rolling eyes it might be fun for you to do it again next week in good conditions. Let me know if you are interested as I am sure we will be doing it after the new snow.

Went up today, had a quick blast, then watched Chemmy in the combined. Great result for her. Then met up with others and had a nice tour around. The snow did seem a bit better today but still loads of icy patches just under the light spray from the canons. Very easy to catch an edge. Going down to the Grizzly in Vallandry was good at the edges but still icy coming into the lifts. The same over in Arc 2000 going down to the marmotte. But away from the lifts the snow canons have been doing a good job keeping a light dusting of fresh snow.

bertie bassett, sorry to disagree with you but going down arolles in the afternoon (towards 1600) there were still plenty of icy patches in the middle and coming into the lifts in 1600. The sides of the pistes are ok and there was some better snow just off piste behind the markers but we really do need more snow now. That's the great thing about skiing, it is different for everyone. Chatted with two locals on the funic going home. They said even now they still found good snow over in the park with there monster skis. They were testing some new skis. Some of the widest I have ever seen.

Hope the foercast for tomorrow is true. Snow predicted down to 400m rolling eyes HOPE SO Twisted Evil IF this turns out to be true you will need to have snow chains tomorrow if you are driving up the mountain in the afternoon.
snow report
Stayed on the blacks today over 1950/2000 + Clair Blanc (entrance hard - rest easy) + comborcier which is now quite nice. Varet was deserted, most bubbles going up empty, so made good use of that. Dou de L'homme, Launches & Cretes were all good fun, but quite difficult (for me) as it was hard to see the next bump, never mind pick a line.
snowcrazy, Unfortunately I have to return to the UK for a few weeks, will get back as soon as I can, but a definate is March 13th for a 'few' weeks.
ski holidays
allanm, I do not hear people use the word 'NICE' and 'comborcier' together very often. Have they pisted it recently or are there still monster moguls? Have a good break back in the UK, with the numbers of people coming out here for Feb I do not think you will miss much. Hope we have good snow when you come back to make that trip.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, it was pisted last week I think. I skied it earlier this week and the bumps were very small, and quite nice Smile
snow report
rob@rar, snowcrazy, Yup, but it has grown....Still quite nice though..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
currently snowing at 1650, according to the forecast it was meant to be snowing down to 500m today.

Watching the footage (in a pub) from val despair - looks quite nice and sunny in parts, whereas in Les Arcs its all a bit flat light - apparently the 2000 bowl was quite nice this morning..but I haven't made it out yet. Can probably ride from my front door come this arvo..
latest report
resort definitely filling up - quite a few more cars around, and the ski-tech from shop next door just popped in a said they've been busy all morning...
snow conditions
Finally snowing in Bourg. SnowForecast has had it 'snowing', and showed it as going to snow for the last 4 day time period and we are just seeing first flakes. Just shows how crap that site can be.

In other news Alagna in Italy has a 4 day snow total of over 100cm and rising...
snow conditions
What can I say, as long as you're not toooooo put off by bad light, today was brilliant - good snow - slopes deserted, apparently loads of people having problems getting up the hill. Over the bowl was especially bad light, Vallandry, either between or in the trees was fine.

A great day.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
currently snowing at 1650, according to the forecast it was meant to be snowing down to 500m today.

Watching the footage (in a pub) from val despair - looks quite nice and sunny in parts, whereas in Les Arcs its all a bit flat light - apparently the 2000 bowl was quite nice this morning..but I haven't made it out yet. Can probably ride from my front door come this arvo..

I did ride from my front door - spent 150 minutes out on the board, riding around with a couple of buddies. Loverly conditions, a 6 or 7cm 'dump' of snow definitely made a difference and the pistes weren't quite 'fresh tracks' but pretty nice. Round the edges definitely better. Didn't get further than the top of the derby as the trees helped the definition.

Nightmare traffic conditions - mate took 4 hours to get to GVA and 3 hours to get back - wouldn't want to be transfer repping on a day like today..

Still snowing (lightly) as of now.
latest report
It's still snowing - only lightly but it's been pretty continuous from 11am Saturday...

Very overcast - sometimes the vis was 20 yds, sometimes the vis was 200yds. Still lots of fun to be had on the runs around the trees above peisey-vallandry...

Light snow forecast for most of the rest of the week...
ski holidays
Hello Bertie & all. Had such a good day today. The powder was lovely and light. Quite a good depth in many places.

Only had one horrid run...... Someone told us the black "ecureils" was really nice. By the time we got there the mist had come down totally - hardly any vis - and the powder was all scraped in to piles leaving really nasty hard pack in between. Yuck
Trees around 1600 were great fun however.

Sounds as if more is on the way next week so anyone heading out here will have fun fun fun!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Looking VERY cold over the next couple of weeks according to GFS
ski holidays
And it is still snowing lightly right now. Very bad vis today but about 10cm of fresh covering during the day. Should be more by tomorrow. Going down the side of bois du l'ours was good, with soft fresh snow covering all yhe nasty bumps. But towards the bottom it did start getting tricky. The bumps just got bigger. Under the Comborciere lift in the trees was also good with no bumps and fresh snow.

As jayne durham, said, the 1600 forest was the best, good vis and forgiving soft snow. Tomorrow should be even better, but it would be good if we can see where we are going.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Sounds great. Comborciere has to be one of my favourate runs there.
snow report
Just heard latest forecast on Les Arcs radio, at breakfast time - another big dump forecast for tomorrow!
latest report
Just did the Vallon des Rossets off-piste run for the first time this season, this afternoon. It was brilliant, though the light was a little flat, the new snow provided excellent cover all the way down to Nancroix. This is the run which starts behind the restaurant at Cold de la Chal, but should not be attempted without a guide. There were 6 of us, including two qualified BASI instructors. We found some lovely untouched powder to practise our turns on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy