Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Slightly pedantic I know but Liverpool play Chelsea on Sunday rather than United. I doubt that will invalidate any of the advice regarding where it can be seen though... wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a beautiful day here today.... After a misty start the skies cleared to blue sky and sunshine. Still v cold so snow keeping well. Lots of the powder is still nice even if tracked.
Les Arcs resort runs are holding well - but lower resort runs in La Plagne are very hard pack in places (we took a trip over there today). Think I need to get my edges done!!! Supposed to be sunny for the next few days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice day today...sun came out in the arvo to make for a nice day - didn't get out till could see sunshine down to 1650, but it was a lovely afternoon. Pistes are starting looking firm in the usual places such as froides fountaines and on some of the runs back to 1800. Golf however is still good with soft stuff down the edges...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't say a lot about today in Les Acs...spent it in La Plagne, brilliant. 'Fog' stayed in the bottom of the valley until lunchtime, you wouldn't have noticed if you went straight up - have some photos - will post later. Came back to Les Arcs and hammered (and I mean hammered) down Combe a couple of times before calling it a day.
Brilliant.....What a day.....

Allan
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pmccaff, There are a few places in 1950 with sky, just put your head in the bars and look. But it is crazy expensive drinking in 1950. 1800 is less but still not cheap.

Some good ideas from JimW, BUT do not try and go Skullie 'For off piste, there are some drops off the back accesed from Lanchettes, and the Aigulle Rouge lifts, as well as a hike from the top of Grand Col.' Skullie If you do not have a permit and get caught you will have to pay a hefty fine. Also these can all be very dangerous off piste areas if you do not know the conditions. Rescue is a problem, must be helicopter. Guides and those with licence can go in these areas, but most people that have them know the areas well. Every year people have died in these places due to lack of knowledge. If you want to do stuff like this TAKE A GUIDE EVERY TIME. You cannot become an expert after doing it once.

Without knowing how you ski I would not recommend off piste places, even in the 1600 forest. It is very large and there are cliffs. You can end up stuck in there for a long time and rescue if you were hurt could be very difficult. having people ski down the piste cannot always mean that you will meet up easily unless you know where you are going. There are many entry and exit points.

If you want some help finding a guide PM and I can give you a few names.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today was yet another awsome day. Toofy Grin Did not bother stopping for lunch. 6 hours straight, almost all off piste. The snow is in excellent condition. There are still plenty of places to go for fresh tracks and even the stuff that has been skied is still very good. Soft and light in sheltered places. With the speed flying comp blocking easy access to the Grand Col area, it was not very busy early on. It was funny looking down at the clouds covering half the mountain below whilst having the sun shinning all around and cloudless blue skies high over head.

After finding a few lines on the off piste areas around the Grand col, did a few trips. First from the top of Grand Col down to Nancroix and then from the top of Grizzly lift down through the forest and meadows to Nancroix. Both routes were great with lots of untracked snow, soft and light. On the second decent, the snow was starting to turn as the sun left it and it re-frooze. Looks like there will be some lovely breakable crust in places tomorrow. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy,

The youngsters at the hostel last week came back with this image after getting a bit lost in the malgovert woods...

tut tut!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tuxpoo, That is why I would never recommend people going into that area unguided if they do not know it well. If you get to the cliffs, they are quite big in some places and you could end up skiing over the edge before you even know they are there. take care people Skullie
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, you are of course absolutely right, there is some stuff in the forest that you don't want to be 'finding' just too late.

Please forgive my enthusiasm for recommending things that, with hindsight, have been taught to me over a number of years and visits, and therefore I consider 'general knowledge'. When of course, they simply are not.

Play safe & stay safe folks, and get a guide.

PS you are absolutely right about prices in 1950 - they will kill the golden goose if not careful. Mind you, supermarket prices in 2000 are almost identical, and the range of goods and beer is considerably less.

Stop off in BSM if you can for a couple of crates, the SuperU is doing some good deals, and you can get 36 25cl bottles of K'berg for less than €7 at the moment: which is the price of a pint at 1950.

But cornflakes: €1.79 in BsM , same box: €3.65 in 1950. Pringles €1.05 (sour cream) in BSM 160g can. 50g can in 1950 €1.25 It's no longer funny.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimW wrote:
PS you are absolutely right about prices in 1950 - they will kill the golden goose if not careful. Mind you, supermarket prices in 2000 are almost identical, and the range of goods and beer is considerably less.

Stop off in BSM if you can for a couple of crates, the SuperU is doing some good deals, and you can get 36 25cl bottles of K'berg for less than €7 at the moment: which is the price of a pint at 1950.

But cornflakes: €1.79 in BsM , same box: €3.65 in 1950. Pringles €1.05 (sour cream) in BSM 160g can. 50g can in 1950 €1.25 It's no longer funny.

JimW..Now we have bought this year was our first ever self catering holiday. We brought lots with us but the day after arriving we went to the Sherpa in 2000 (absolutely crap anyway compared to the new Spar in 1950). We bought some odds and ends and got a bill for 84 euro Shocked Sad . nearly fainted. Next day down to Bourg, big shop 63 euro. Shopping in resort can make your eyes and wallet bleed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Worth keep an eye in Arcs 2000 this week for a speedflying festival from 27th to 30th. Being broadcast live on

http://www.speedflyingpro.com/

Intrigued by the entry on the program of events for the week Shocked Shocked

Quote:
Thursday 29th
& Friday 30th « Weather days »
Gravity Day from the cable car Vanoise Express

The event is over (today is base jumping out of the Vanoise Shocked ). Some video footage on the front page though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, indeed - we have been in Vallandry for the last few years and the Sherpa there, while good, was pricey. This year went into Geant in Albertville and did shop for week for 9 for €170
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, They did not allow the Base Jumping today. When I tried to get a reason, seem to hit a brick wall. As a result the VE was crazy this morning. We got there at 10am and did not get across until almost 11am. It seemed to be the same on the La Plagne side. I heard this was still the case at 11. 30am. No idea how long it took to get sorted. Might have been part of the day of action, just have know idea. One thing for sure, many unhappy people in the waiting line.

The conditions today stayed amazing. Due to the continued cold spell the snow remained light and powder was the order of the day. Went to Bellcote and did the powder field on the petit north face. Anyone thinking of going there, the entry is getting very rocky, but once in the snow was great. Still plenty of room for more fresh tracks almost top to bottom. The exit route through the forest was ok but starting to get a little thin. Once back in Les Arcs the pistes were busy but the off piste even at 3pm was still in good condition although very tracked. Another good day is forcast for tomorrow but by Sunday they say the conditions will start to change.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, Thanks for the advice every1, will def shop in Bsm, Cant wait to get their saturday , i here their is a an air strike in france from 28th to the 30th jan , anyone here any news on that ???
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from a very long weekend. Snow in fine shape, the Malgovert is open for our January trip for the first time in 5 years, skied down to Granges and caught the funicular back up. Too many small injuries (tweaked knees / ankles / wrists) in the group to do any off piste this year so cannot feed back on that other than to say the risks are stil 4/5 in some areas, although we did come down through the avalanche barriers on the Ours to 1950 - lovely but made the joints sing a bit.
snow report
Have had the all clear from the doctors after my ankle trouble so I am off to Les Arc on 21st Feb.
What is it like at the mo?
Snow conditions, forecasts etc

Any help
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
thefatcontroller, They did not allow the Base Jumping today. When I tried to get a reason, seem to hit a brick wall. As a result the VE was crazy this morning. We got there at 10am and did not get across until almost 11am. It seemed to be the same on the La Plagne side. I heard this was still the case at 11. 30am. No idea how long it took to get sorted. Might have been part of the day of action, just have know idea. One thing for sure, many unhappy people in the waiting line.

Snowcrazy I thought it was cancelled as the base jumpers were on strike with the rest of France - especially the marmottes in 1950!!

Funnily enough I was chatting to a couple in La Plagne on Thursday who'd been in the same VE line as yourself - they'd also spoken about taking nearly an hour to get across. Come 12:30 ish when I went across it was fine...I was a bit worried that it might have a long q to get back but come say 4:15 it was fine..

Today mainly blatted around the pistes of 2000 bowl..still in very good condition. Saw a few to many blood wagons for my liking, and come friday arvo people were pulling silly stunts such as riding switch past the bottom of arcabule - saw one idiot just run over a boarder as he was busy waving to his mates behind him. Be Nice please!...

Piste Patrol however had a 'speed trap' in place on the Ariandeliers piste...

Overhearing a couple of frenchies chatting to the pisties then it appears that they'd been a couple of big crashes on the piste already that day, and so the put the markers out to slow people down, and were watching people come down the slope and 'having a go' at people who were just straight lining it. Not sure if this is just a friday thing or something to stay in february - if so then there should be the same in other bottlenecks, such as the bottom of the runs into 1600..
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Pleased to hear the crazy lines were gone by lunch time. Hope that does not happen again. Not sure what a strike has to do with base Jumping, but that's the French for you.

Great to hear the speed traps are out. About time. I hope they keep them in place and put them in other places as well, like you said. The bottlenecks at 1600 and down to 1800 as well.

Now I am boarding more, I hate these crazy skiers that do not look and come right up close on your blind side. Just as bad as boarders that do not look or sit in the middle of the piste. I think it is all about education. They do not seem to teach good on piste manners anymore when people start learning. No wonder there are so many crashes. I never thought I would say it, but I feel a lot safer OFF PISTE than I do now that the pistes are getting busy.

Had an easy day today, yesterday was great but hard on the knees. Went up late in the end. Crusied around a few of my favorite spots, had a few nice coffees and finished on the sun terrace at the alitiport. Getting a little warmer today but the snow is still holding up well and now they say some more may be on its way by Sunday/Monday. Hope so.

21 Feb is a long way off, if you keep your eye on this thread you can follow what we say as the conditions change. have a good trip.
ski holidays
Back in Les Arcs after a couple of weeks away. Feels good to be 'back home' Smile Weather and on-piste conditions today were just about perfect. Last weekend's snow has transformed conditions. It's getting a bit busier as we approach February, but no significant lift queues and many pistes are still very quiet. Not much of the easy to reach off-piste is untracked, but there is stuff to be found if you look for it.

My best mate from home is out with me, for his first day on snow. He's skied a bit on plastic back in the UK, and that really made a big difference to how much progress he was able to make today. Very solid technique already, great stance and balance and already comfortable (and in control) on the red pistes down to Vallandry. I was very impressed!

Popped across to Courchevel after skiing to meet up with some friends for an apres-ski drink, including eng ch and her group who were buzzing after a great day with one of the Ski Supreme instructors Smile

More on my blog.
ski holidays
rob@rar, looks fab. How long does it take to 'pop across' to Courchevel?
latest report
About an hour and a bit if you don't dawdle and there's not much traffic.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Cool
ski holidays
rob@rar, thats impressive, getting him down the reds to vallandry on his 1st day on snow...

great day on piste today, things holding up well - early doors the groomed pistes were just superb, firm and fast but not icy...later on things softened a little in the sun..

light dustings forecast most nights during this week..
latest report
Another lovely day, with great on piste conditions as bertie bassett said. Spent a bit of time in the Avalanche Park this morning; boy, it's hard work searching for victims. I saved 5 out of 6, but gave up on the last one when my avalanche probe slide for 40m down the hill and I couldn't be bothered to walk down to retrieve it then back up to prod the victim.

Found a few pitches of nice soft snow off-piste, and lots or really horrid sun crust. Won't make that mistake again!

As it was Saturday it was relatively quiet on piste, but tomorrow will be a bit busier.

More stuff on my blog including a little video of my mate skiing on his first day on snow. I've not posted a video before so I'd be grateful if you could let me know if there are any problems with viewing in. Ta muchly!
latest report
rob@rar, video's great. Congratulations to Tim for an impressive first day effort!
ski holidays
rob@rar, Good to hear you are back. I agree the pistes are holding up well. The stuff in the forests is fun even if ski school has been to many places with tiny kids making impossible short turns. Not busy today, but there are many cars on the roads tonight so guess it will get crowded again tomorrow. In think we are in for another crazy Sunday.

Today managed to find some more untracked powder in the park. Went off the back of Aiguille Rouge and all the way to Le Planay down a very nice couloir and powder field. well worth taking a guide if anyone is coming out soon as conditions are great, but even these remoter areas will become tracked out quickly if this sunny weather continues.

It does look like a change is coming, but not much fresh snow. Hope I am wrong. snowHead
snow report
The weather has changed, so we had a very ght dusting of new snow overnight. This morning it's overcast and snowing lightly.
ski holidays
Saturday was very quiet, we were about the only people on the Vallandry side after about 3:30. They've pisted Bosses, Ecureulls and Combourcier, so now these are very easy. On Combourcier lift there is a notice warning of 'excess speed' on the run, know why now - it's really is easy to go flying down the bottom part, which is actually quite steep.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, But they have only done that as they expect today to be another crazy Sunday. If you get a chance it would be great to have another photo of what it looks like by tonight.

As for me I am using the change in weather as a reason to have a day off. Toofy Grin (Truth I need a rest Twisted Evil ).

Have a good day everyone and look forward to reading your posts.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, it's been surprisingly quiet this morning. A bit busier on piste, but no lift queues anywhere around Vallandry/1800.
ski holidays
We echo that Rob (hi by the way!) - Cant believe how quiet it is all over. Finally managed to meet Bertie Bassett today.....
Seemed to be starting to get windy as we came down the mountain this afternoon...
latest report
jayne durham, hello!

The weather changed today. It was mostly overcast, with occasional snow flurries during the morning adding to the very light dusting we had overnight. It was much quieter than I was expecting, which was a welcome bonus. Spent the morning teaching and the afternoon working on my bump skiing, and for a bit of light relief doing some of the easy jumps in the snow park. I’ve finally concluded that I’ll never be a pro bumps skier; in fact I’m going to have to work hard to even get to be an amateur bumps skier!

Some photos from the day, with more on my blog:

ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
jayne durham, hello! the afternoon working on my bump skiing, and for a bit of light relief doing some of the easy jumps in the snow park. I’ve finally concluded that I’ll never be a pro bumps skier; in fact I’m going to have to work hard to even get to be an amateur bumps skier!

learned that the hard way today - Jayne durham encourage me to have a go at malgovert..which was amusing..still I made it down in one piece without falling over or breaking myself...
snow report
rob@rar, What piste is the top bumps picture? Mrsfatcontroller will sadly read this when I openly admit she is very good at bumps. I just scream and shout through them and think that someone is jabbing red hot needles in my knees.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
What piste is the top bumps picture?

Fond Blanc.
snow report
rob@rar, Just checked my piste map. Still not been brave enough to go down Clair Blanc so will maybe give Fond Blanc a miss snowHead
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar, Just checked my piste map. Still not been brave enough to go down Clair Blanc so will maybe give Fond Blanc a miss snowHead

There's not a big difference between Fond Blanc and Clair Blanc, despite one being red the other black. Fond Blanc is slightly steeper and longer, although the entry to Clair Blanc is normally a bit grim.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I am utterly rubbish in steep moguls turning from left to right and as the run into Clair Blanc would leave me having to turn left to right I normally think twice and ski on. Sad
snow conditions
Today WAS crazy Sunday, the worst I've seen, so far. So many out of control skiers AND boarders.....
snow report
The pictures look amazing.
Roll on Feb 21st is all I can say.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy