Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
pam w,
Quote:
Are those pistes really icy, or just very hardpacked?

Haven't found them that icy, more hard packed, softening up mid morning if you can soften up in -5?. Briefly went down to low on the La Plagne side to Montchavin on Sunday and that is the iciest place in the whole of La Plagne/Les Arcs and it was in really good nick. An odd bare(ish) patch showing up but its not as bad as I thought it would be Cool . Looking out the window and now snowing quite hard. Will update later got to get ready and get 3 kids ready for lessons.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for info - will be good that he can meet up - instead of playing scrabble with us wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

if you can soften up in -5

snigger snigger, chortle chortle - I should say so Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimW - cheers mate, the trans arc is defo the way forward then that will work out well, now all we need if some fresh stuff around the 16th then happy days!!

guys thanks for the heads on the walking boots, thankfully they have that all sorted as they went off to get some the other day.

How are the roads up to 1950 at the mo, pretty clear?

I hear there is some fresh stuff today and tomorrow, enjoy.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we are coming out on saturday...lets hope for more snow - any more forecast?????
just a quick question, we are staying in 1600 and wondered if we took the bus to 1800 could we ski back to 1600 without using a lift pass? i know there are free weekend lifts and with the credit crunch just trying to save a bit of cash, but not sure of which run would take us back?????

thanks Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
macduff wrote:
we are staying in 1600 and wondered if we took the bus to 1800 could we ski back to 1600 without using a lift pass?

No, it's not possible without two bus rides and walking uphill for about 20 minutes, and if you do that all you'll be able to access is a very dull blue piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok thanks...it looked quite simple on the map!!! And dull blues are good for a beginner like me!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh what a day Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Forgot to mention this morning that yesterday mrsfatcontroller hit a rut and didn't notice as her feet were numb with cold that her big right toe was black. She pierced it last night ( I voluntered to do it Toofy Grin ) but she only managed to ski down with the kids from 2000 to 1950 before she was doubled up in agony. No skiing today, of to doctor. Saw the Doc in 1950 and he gave her a bucket of drugs. At this point being the husband I am I said I would stay in with her (I did swear at her for being so stupid!). Decided to give nanny the afternoon of and headed down to Bourg to the pharmacy. Going down to Bourg also gave us a chance to get some supplies, went to the SuperU and Intermarcher(?), great shops and much cheaper than resort. Trying to avoid moaning about costs in France thsi year but it is scary. Plenty of ways to save money though.

Just been down to Bourg form 2000 so to answer.

nisaacs wrote:
How are the roads up to 1950 at the mo, pretty clear?

Not a problem. All clear and fine.

It stopped snowing about 11am today but great news it just started again. Cool Cool Its light but more due overnight so we are told. It was -4 in Bourg and -11 at 2000 @ 3pm.

Some photos from the balcony.

The top of the free lift from 1950 to 2000.

Across to Bois De L'Ours and Arpettes lift, you can see Bois is pretty bare and is closed.

Lanchettes lift going to up to the Aguillerun to Villarogier.

Of out for some bum boarding with the kids. Cool

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 6-01-09 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

if you can soften up in -5

snigger snigger, chortle chortle - I should say so Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing . Going for a wee can involve some searching on cold days Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller wrote:
Some photos from the balcony.

Wow, truly ski in/out. Looks great. Hope the nanny's toe gets better.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, How long did it take you to drive down to the Super U?

Frostthesnowy The fats front door is even closer to the chairlift than mine Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, great phots - not at all envious of your pad. Any chance you could pop the key under mat so I could pop in for coffee when over that way next week
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, We were trying to guess which apt was yours when we got on that very lift last week (with his lordship cruising the Villaorger challenge). Now we know and indeed your place is even closer to teh lift than his Lordships or our place but only just Toofy Grin

We always dribve to BSM and super U for our weekly shop as it is cheaper than up the mountains. Although the other week we managed to spend 241 euros and there was no booze purchased - yikes. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, Good to hear your place is finished. I hate taking photos with cold hands so do keep them coming. Not much fun today you did the right thing going shopping. Very cold, icy, fresh snow made no difference, to little. Hope we get the promised dump tonight it seems like everyone but us is getting some right now. When do you guys leave, let's try to meet for a beer while you are out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mouth wrote:
We always dribve to BSM and super U for our weekly shop as it is cheaper than up the mountains.

Did a very minor shop in the sherpa in 2000 and got a bill for 83 euro Shocked
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, How long did it take you to drive down to the Super U

Think it took about 30-35 mins coming back up?
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
When do you guys leave, let's try to meet for a beer while you are out.

Leaving Saturday, back last week of March without the kids. Think when we come back we will be able to use your services as rob@rar made me aware of the benefits of SCGB guiding.

For those interested been snowing lightly now for a few hours.

Russian Xmas today I think, fireworks lightly in 1950. So many Russians around.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
thefatcontroller, Good to hear your place is finished. I hate taking photos with cold hands so do keep them coming. Not much fun today you did the right thing going shopping. Very cold, icy, fresh snow made no difference, to little.

Sums up the conditions perfectly if you ask me.

We spent the majority of the day on the lower lifts (p-v sector) and low in 1800 - if you went to the top of the vagere then you froze. Still good that the arpette is not completely rammed...
snow conditions
Snowing heavy up in 2000 Cool Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Fireworks display tonight above 2000 and 1950. Not sure if it is a weekly event but it is Russian week here so might be in their honour? Floodlight skiing available tonight on marmottes until 7.30pm.

By the way anyone coming out to 1950 and 2000 and hiring should do so from here

http://www.arc2000-lesgentianes.twinner-sports.com/en/about-us

Brand new shop opened up in the new building beside the Lanchettes chair and very close to the free bubble between 1950 and 2000. New shop completely kitted out with new kit. One of our kids hire boots even had the paper in them, they had never been used before. Also not that well know and quiet wink .
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Brand new shop opened up in the new building beside the Lanchettes chair

Does that place have 10-pin bowling? I skied past it en route to the Lanchettes and vaguely remember seeing a big bowling sign?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Brand new shop opened up in the new building beside the Lanchettes chair

Does that place have 10-pin bowling? I skied past it en route to the Lanchettes and vaguely remember seeing a big bowling sign?

Yes thats the one, got a bowling alley. Ain't gone into it, bowling wiht kids is my idea of hell Skullie . Seems it has been built for seasonal workers. Thought I hadn't seen them advertised for sale.
snow report
7am here in Arc 2000. Doens't look like it snowed much during the night Sad . mrsfatcontrollers's toe still sore, not sure if we will ski today.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, your gilet is here
ski holidays
No snow today at all despite it being forecast. Sad . Last nights snow has made no difference. Good news was the mrsfatcontroller big toe was better. Very cold and gale force 300+ blowing in the 2000 bowl. Skiing down into it and trying to get speed up across the flat bit in the middle when not the most aerodynamically Embarassed Sad designed was not easy.

Went down first thing to Vanoise. L'ours was great fun at the bottom as they have built huge piles of manmade snow and have nearly blocked the run Cool . Went across Vanoise and down to Montchavin. Icy wall of death into Montchavin up to its normal icy standards. Did a bit more on the La Plagne side and then came back across as we needed to be in 1950 for lunch. Did some more runs in the bowl and then took the kids up in the gondolas to the glacier for a walk.

All good, not a cloud in sight. At 3pm it was -18 up on glacier. Supposed to get a bit warmer tomorrow and Friday (please, so cold, feet hurting).

Photos later, including an amazing Russian in a fartbag Shocked
ski holidays
Some photos

Transarc, photo taken from top of Varet Gondola

In Arc 2000 bowl. St Jaques lift and Varet Gondola

Disneyland in the Alps. Sorry Arc 1950

Arc 2000. Taken from top of Glacier.

Looking down from Glacier gondola. Its steep

Close up of the top of Varet Gondola and the Glacier gondola

Glacier lift exit

The black of the glacier

Black again up on the glacier. Blurred a bit due to it being -18 and wind blowing snow up.
latest report
thefatcontroller, Where's the Russian?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Its over here but its so good why not here as well

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1124373#1124373

Russian lady, Arc 2000 today.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic pictures! -18 explains why I was a tad chilly on the chair lifts this afternoon as we were over in La Plagne.
More snow is definitely needed. Lots of very hard pack on the lower runs - and some blacks very stony and thin
Still - It was nice skiing with good vis and sunshine - so not all bad. Little Angel
snow conditions
Fantastic pictures! -18 explains why I was a tad chilly on the chair lifts this afternoon as we were over in La Plagne.
More snow is definitely needed. Lots of very hard pack on the lower runs - and some blacks very stony and thin
Still - It was nice skiing with good vis and sunshine - so not all bad. Little Angel
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Great photos Toofy Grin

I rather like the fartbag Confused Embarassed
snow conditions
So are the conditions for skiing really bad - you all make worrying reading for a beginner!!???
latest report
macduff wrote:
So are the conditions for skiing really bad - you all make worrying reading for a beginner!!???

For a beginner they are very good, a little icy maybe but coverage everywhere. Its the off pisters who are moaning like hell as everwhere is tracked out
latest report
Sorry Macduff - dont worry you'll have a great time. When I first learnt - it was April in Andorra - and looking back on it the piste was brick hard and I still loved it. Dont think I felt nice snow for about 3 years!! But we just get fussier.
The area is amazing. High up is still really lovely - and lower down is still good considering there hasnt been snow for a while because the cold temperatures have kept it.
We just all fancy a big dump of powder wink
ski holidays
As another aside to a days skiing in Les Arcs today we saw a blind skier and his guide. They were getting in le Derby in front of us. She had a mike that came across her mouth and small loudspeaker around her waist. He was wearing a waistcoat over his gear that identified him as being blind. He did what she said (kind of like me and mrsfatcontroller minus the mike and I am not blind Confused Embarassed ). Didn't actually see him ski the top end as we went in the opposite direction but fair dues to him. Cool

Also met 2 guys on the Vanoise Monday who were telling us that as they are over 72 years old they get Paradski passes for free. For a start we couldn't belive they were over 72, (one was actually 80+). They were staying wiht Ski Beat in Peisey for 2 weeks. They travel the european resorts making use of OAP discounted passes. They had already been to St Anton and the season pass there had cost them a huge 10 euro. Again I hope and pray I am still skiing at 80.
latest report
For those interested its started snowing lightly in Arc 2000 about an hour ago. Its light but better than nothing and I will let you know in the morning if it was more than nothing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
thanks for the reassuring notes!!! Im sure it will be a blast!!!!! And we are praying for snow!!! Laughing
snow report
thefatcontroller, The black on the glacier looked fun.... Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm trying to figure out which skis to hire since I can't take my own sets and so need to cope with just 1 pair this time! I'll be there next Friday and so far anything narrow with stacks of edge hold seems to be the way to go based on current reports - wish I could take my sl skis lol.

Intersport have Volkl Tigershark 10fts which might be up to it but was really hoping for at least SOME off piste Sad

£100 for 8 days rental is also crazy.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Is it really a glacier off Aguille Rouge?... not noticed it being so (at least not on the front side where the piste is) when there in the summer. I know the piste map calls it Glacier du Varet, but I'm not really convinced! Perhaps I need to look harder...

9 days and counting...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy