Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier grading should be abolished!

Poster: A snowHead
If everyone calls themselves 'an intermediate' it's meaningless. So we should abolish it.

Discuss please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like "Middle Class"?

But what about, for example, the SCGB Gradings?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm losing the will to live.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Better question. But then advanced or expert will become meaningless. I think I prefer grades of intermediate ; early (still learning mostly to cope with all blues), mid (red) and late (black).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely the most effective method of grading is to see who has the most co-ordinated kit?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Like "Middle Class"?

Can't help thinking there really does need to be some sort of equivalence procedure carried out with the "Snow & Rock skiing ability scale" before we get into how well off/loaded SKGB skiers are.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought "intermediate" is good for an experienced skier trying to put up a humble front and something a beginner can brag about.

Why abolish it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the gradings you get on the personal profile thing on this forum is fairly accurate. Gives a good description. One of the only ones where I've actually been able to confidently tick one of the boxes!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
snowball wrote:
Like "Middle Class"?

Can't help thinking there really does need to be some sort of equivalence procedure carried out with the "Snow & Rock skiing ability scale" before we get into how well off/loaded SKGB skiers are.
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cattlegrid_79 wrote:
I think the gradings you get on the personal profile thing on this forum is fairly accurate. Gives a good description. One of the only ones where I've actually been able to confidently tick one of the boxes!

Not as particular as the SCGB grades and does not have away of distinguishing between skiers once they reach grade 7 (there should be at least one standard above that. Indeed, SCGB grades are directed at punters - at an absolute level there should be grades above their Gold).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-10-08 12:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we use a totally different grading system here...

• pish
• awright
• nae bad
• gallas
• pretty good like
• gid
• dugs baws
• f'in brilliant

the sooner skiing bodies all over the world adopt this system the better.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, I'll drink tae that. (Lagavulin oor The Macallen?)*

* I'm only a part-time-wannabe Scott, I'm afraid.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 23-10-08 12:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly,
Quote:

gallas

That must be Scots for intermediate, 'cos I have no idea what it means.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd have thought awright and nae bad were grades of Intermediate too. Perhaps even "pretty good like"?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
shoogly,
Quote:

gallas

That must be Scots for intermediate, 'cos I have no idea what it means.

Originating in France, it emerged in West London vernacular around 2000 and later spread to North London (I'd have thought you'd have heard it).

It means "high-intermediate centre-back".
ski holidays
laundryman, wink The fact that I live in South London must be why I haven't heard it.
latest report
Hurtle, my mistake. Embarassed
ski holidays
gallas is a brilliant word.

We generally take it as meaning that someone who is "gallas" at something is confident, fearless even and nothing will stop said person. Doesn't always mean their as good at something as they make out, but that they have a certain aura around them that would have someone beleive that they're great at it. Means their willing to give anything a go with lack of fear or intimidation... does that sound like an intermediate?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
gallus
(ga·luss) Dialect, chiefly Scot ~adj.
1. self-confident, daring, cheeky.
2. stylish, impressive (esp. Glasgow "He's pure gallus, by the way").
3. Orig. derogatory, meaning wild; a rascal; deserving to be hanged (from the gallows).
snow conditions
ski grading is relative to who you are sking with and sharing your patch or snow with .. thus you are not an 'intermediate' just 'more intermediate' than that bloke over there
latest report
Totally off topic, brian, but that reminds me of John Wylkes (18th century radical):
The Earl of Sandwitch said to him "Egad sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox." to which he replied "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
latest report
We seem to be missing the bar/pub ski gradings which frequently drop several grades when applied to real snow conditions. Smile
snow report
Quote:

we use a totally different grading system here...

• pish
• awright
• nae bad
• gallas
• pretty good like
• gid
• dugs baws
• f'in brilliant

the sooner skiing bodies all over the world adopt this system the better.

think you could probably add 'braw' in there too, between 'gid' and 'dugs baws' i reckon

also, where i come from, after 'f'in briliant' there is 'moth'
latest report
"gallas"... had completely forgotten that wonderful word, as it's a while since I lived up there and I never did become fluent with the language.
I have three grades of skier: "about the same as me", "better than me" and "not as good as me" (never mind the grammar.....). Today, up on the Tignes glacier, with all that race training, practically everybody on the hill was in the middle category. Watching 8 year olds coming down a hill at speed, perfect line and position, and only realising when they get closer that they're only wearing one ski....
ski holidays
laundryman,

Gallas is gash.... wink completely and utterly
snow conditions
Grading can be hurtful.

After a few drinks last year one of the ladies in our group told me I was a really good skier. I said I wasn't, and that the more I skied, the more I realised how true this was.

So of course she says, "Well, what level of skier am I then?"

I told her she was crap.

It's great to have me as a mate! Twisted Evil
latest report
Kramer wrote:
If everyone calls themselves 'an intermediate' it's meaningless. So we should abolish it.

Discuss please.

You can't "abolish" a term from normal English usage, no matter how meaningless you may think it is.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Discuss please.

You can't "abolish" a term from normal English usage, no matter how meaningless you may think it is.

BUT you can simply "erase" or not use the term "abolish" when skiing is the subject.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc,
Quote:
I told her she was crap.

Does that line crack it in Halifax ? wink
snow report
Lechbob, worked for me Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
Kramer, Most unfair being intermediate is something I'm just starting to aspire to.
ski holidays
Megamum, sorry, too late, the window has closed, the pattern is full, it's been abolished and you'll just have to find something else to aspire to.
snow report
Kramer wrote:

Discuss please.

can't think of anything I care less about... Smile

more importantly, nobody needs a helmet or a leash on a snowboard - both utterly useless wastes of time Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy