Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

whats your favourite italian resort......

Poster: A snowHead
just interested people but i'm flying into milan (bergamo) for 4 days in feb (26feb-2march x 4people)and wondering whats everyones favourite resort in italy and why ? best for nightlife,best for snowboarding,amount of lifts+runs,for value,accommodation etc..... Very Happy
after you have all voted and gave your personal opinions i shall maybe try and decide which one to choose cos i'm finding it really hard there is so many......... Puzzled

thanks in advance guys look forward to hear what you think !!!

p.s. if i choose your resort then i will dedicate the first round of beers to you...and if you happen to be there also i will buy you one Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
charlieduff, Anywhere on the main Sella Ronda area, Reason = Beauty!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
charlieduff
Been to (in order of visit) Courmayeur, Cervinia, Selva, Sestriere. I would go back to (in order of preference, for various skiing and apres reasons) Cervinia, Selva then another country. But Turin is a better starting point for Cervinia.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charlieduff

Welcome to the snowheads. It's great to see new people on here asking questions about resorts and wanting to get the low down. You will find that you get a very different response to the 'favourite/best etc' depending on what people value as important. To some Val Thorens (2300M, modern 'plonked on hill' french purpose built resort') is the do-dahs, for others then somewhere like Alpbach (austrian on the valley floor, quiet, small number of runs but utterly charming) is the bees knees.

At lot of the basic 'factual' information can be found on some other websites - for example http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/ allows you to select resorts based on criteria that's important to you - e.g. snowsure, beginners, off-piste and then makes recommendations for you based on that criteria - also "Where to Ski and Snowboard" (WTSS) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Snowboard-2008-Chris-Gill/dp/0953637190/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224189315&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21 provides additional information, and really should be on your xmas present list - although it has come in for some criticism on here for update speed on certain resorts in the past.

The power of snowheads is not neccessarily to get the basic factual information but is to get those extra 'tips' on restaturants/bars, sneaky back routes/roads, who the best boot-fitter is, tips on driving to the alps and other things that you can get from real local knowledge, as a good number of people on here are often frequent visitors to the same pleace or property owners in various places, as well as perhaps the social side.

Good luck with your searching, frankly for a 4 day trip - I would focus on (a) Resort size (don't want to ski it out on the 1st day) (b) Transfer times (keep it less than 2-2.5 hours) and snowboard friendly (not too many drags) and then just get on with it. I can't imagine you go too far wrong with any of cervinia, sauze or sestriere (but I haven't been to the last 2 personally)

Enjoy the trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers for that bertie......people on this site are so helpfull it really is great !! i was supposed to fly to turin but the flights are all booked out heard alot about this cervinia place would love to give it a go but best way to get there is thru turin right ? well either way i shall book somewhere and soon then just watch the live webcam for the next 4 months !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Thuile Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of where I have been in Italy:

1) Madonna di Campiglio (Stunning scenery, fast lifts)

2) La Thuile (Small but interesting resort, good scenery, relaxed atmosphere, good food)

3) Passo Tonale (Excellent snow, fast lifts, good value)

4) Livigno (Good snow, very cheap, but long transfer)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charlieduff, I've skied in Livigno, Passo Tonale, Bardonecchia (twice), Sauze D'Oulx, La Thuile. Really liked La Thuile although it's not a party town (some nice relaxed restaurants though), Passo Tonale had great snow, nice wide, open pistes and is all pretty convenient (Hotel Orchidea was very nice), Bardonecchia has two sides for skiing and the snow on the Jafferau was better both times I've been, Livigno was great for apres and the skiing and snow were also fab (early Jan), but the transfer is a bit of a killer, from wherever you fly into and it's certainly not worthwhile for 4 days. Sauze was OK but very busy (early January), not great snow, very lively nightlife but not especially 'Italian' Very Happy - you could be anywhere! If I was under pressure to choose somewhere to go again, I'd go with Passo Tonale (and it's pretty handy for Bergamo) or La Thuile (not sure that's so handy though).

I've always enjoyed skiing in Italy, for the skiing, the apres and the general atmosphere. Good Luck!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One to avoid - Claviere - it was a sh**hole, quite literally - all the toilets were holes in the ground!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
Quote:

also "Where to Ski and Snowboard" (WTSS) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Snowboard-2008-Chris-Gill/dp/0953637190/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224189315&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21 provides additional information, and really should be on your xmas present list - although it has come in for some criticism on here for update speed on certain resorts in the past.

Brilliant book! Latest 2009 edition now available at a discounted price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Snowboard-2009-Chris-Gill/dp/0955866308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224229150&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski, that's not a very fair review of Claviere. Yep, some of (not all) toilets are holes in the ground, but that's culture for you, eh? I can actually only think of 3 places (one on mountain and 2 in the village) that still have toilets that are the old french/italian style hole in the ground...

Claviere is a brilliant quiet wee village with ski/lift access to some amazing skiing/boarding on the via lattea. The place has culture in abundance, something that is sorely lacking from a lot of resorts in the alps.

It also maintains a superb snow record and, along with Montgenevre, holds snow long after many other resorts are struggling.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For your criteria i'd go along with Cervinia.

Shortish transfer from Turin but about 2.5/3 hours from Milan, lots of piste (plus you can go over to the dark side in Zermatt weather permitting) nightlife ok and the view of the matterhorn is just superb!!

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boabski, I think the majority of people who have been there would disagree with you. Not all the toilets are holes in the ground.

It is a small resort linked to a very big ski area. The only Italian resort I've skied through in winter, therefore the only one I can accuratly review.

Good food, variety of slopes, traditional village, snow sure and France next door. An area I will return to.

Has a lovely night out to a mountain restaurant by skidoo ride.

Claviere shouldn't be overlooked. Although I went to the dolomites in the summer, and that is somewhere I'd very much like to go sking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I Love Italy. Very Happy Only skied at Livigno whilst learning, Canezi & over to Cervinia a couple of days from Zermatt. Livigno was great - cheap , ice cream, pasta family hotel no problems sleeping on the transfer & great spaghetti & red wine lunch on the way but I probably want more skiing now. Didn't care for the traffic fumes in Canezi - was a atmosphere inversion or something, the Sella Ronda is magical but much of it only Italian because the border is drawn that way. I see Cervinia is favorite with a lot of people - I had a nice lunch in the village must have missed something Puzzled , the main lift station - ughh. Sad I should ski somewhere truly Italian - any opinions .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only skied in la Thuile so can't compare to others but I can say I liked it a lot. Quite open pistes up high with great views and very little queing for lifts. The town is small and quiet on the street but there are good places to eat. Parts of the planibel complex can be noisy (a couple of my friends asked to be moved further from the bar area) but is very convenient for the lifts.

I have a secondary question, unless I should start another thread - can anyone recommend an Italian resort that would also suit non-skiers (my OH and my mates OH have stopped skiing but still like a winter break in snowy mountains)? Somewhere that is nice enough to spend time and/or convenient for day trips to somewhere nice.
snow report
It's got to be La Thuile.Great skiing,links to France.Food and beer alot cheaper than other resorts. Very Happy
snow conditions
been to Claviere, Champoluc and Campitello no idea why its all ones with C.. Claviere is nice and like people have pointed out the access to other areas and snow is really good. Champoluc is nice with godd access across 3 other resorts and makes for a good days long skiing. But I must say I enjoyed Campitello and the whole Sella Rhonda access the most..okay the village is very quiet and you needed hotel bus to ge tto the lifts..
snow report
The Dolomites are my favourite - stayed in Selva 3 times in a row - fantastic.

Also been to loads of other Italian resorts - Pila is one of my favourites - its good for a day out - not too big and not too small. La Thuile is good too, although the button/drag lift that links La Rosiere is a bit of a nightmare!
ski holidays
Must have had a bad experience then in Claviere. Puzzled Only decent thing I can remember about the place was Kilt restaurant (which I incidently wore my kilt to on New Years Eve 2 years ago) for the best pizza ever and the wee restaurant at the foot of the slopes selling the best gluhwein ever. We were pretty restriced to Claviere due to the age and ski ability of our 3 kids but hated the following about the place;
1) horrendously busy road which you could not really avoid and had to walk on due to parked cars and snow 2) food in mountain restaurants was really disappointing and like motorway food in a lot of instances 3) having to queue to order food, them to pick up drinks then to pick up food - so you had to queue 3 times just to get your lunch! 4) pretty old lifts, and one of them I could not even rest my weary legs on, as it was made for midgets. Managed to get to Montgenevre one day and everything improved significantlly just by crossing the border - better lifts, signposting and restaurants.

Was probably exaggerated by the fact that I went to Oberlech a few weeks later with the Mrs and another couple which was complete oppoulance compared with Claviere. Think Selva sounds and looks like a much better option than Claviere. Have been to Courmeyeur years ago and really liked it. Only downside was the cable car and cable car down scenario
snow report
boabski, You point no. 1 has been improved already since you've been there. A tunnel has been completed which bypasses Claviere, similar to Montgenevre's tunnel.

If you're refering to La Coche in point no.2 I dont know how you concluded that. I have had the best 7 course traditional Italian meal ever up there. No comparisons with motorway food. There are other mountain restaurants, but I havent tried them.

and Point 4, due to the Olympics there are no drag lifts in Claviere that are arterial routes. Beforehand there were way too many draglifts.

I do prefer Montgenevre though, but thats France not Italy.
snow report
Favourite..?? Not sure, but ones I'd go back to would be Alagne, but just a pig to get to and now they have pisted Olen...hmmmm
Gressoney, to be central for the Monterosa and it owes me some great snow.
Courmayeur..lots to do there for me..
Cervinia..not just a cruisers paradise

Places that are calling and I am sure I'll get there..

La Thuile
Grand St B... seems to straddle the border so that counts I think....ditto Montgenevre.
Arraba
snow report
How about staying in Aosta itself and then you can ski in Pila which is linked to Aosta by a gondola. Courmayeur and La Thuile are a bus ride away. Non-skiers can do the culture bit looking round the Roman ruins in Aosta, enjoying the shops, cafes and restaurants, or going to the Nike outlet! Favourite area has to be Madonna/Folgarida,Marilleva though.
ski holidays
Have been to Andalo (dolomites) and courmayeur. Really liked both. The only drawback about Courmayeur was having to get the cable car across each morning.
latest report
That place at the bottom of tyhe slopes in claveire also makes the best Bomberdinos out of anywhere. Never tried the mountain resturants as just got some nice cheese and ham from the deli and had lunch on the fly while trundling along that blue from sanalonga down to the san sicario link
ski holidays
charlieduff, you're gonna end up confused with all the replies across the 3 threads you've started about your trip. wink Puzzled

Has Sauze fallen by the wayside?

Just for the record my favourite is also Selva and the Sella Ronda, been 3 times, heading to another resort on the Sella Ronda this year. Not especially popular with snowboarders though, some skiers might think it's better left that way, not me of course. Toofy Grin
snow report
luigi,
Thanks for tip on discounted WTSS. Just gone and bought one.
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
charlieduff, you're gonna end up confused with all the replies across the 3 threads you've started about your trip. wink Puzzled
Has Sauze fallen by the wayside?

Indeed - Charlieuk just as a helpful tip compared to some other forums the average age on here is a bit older and therefore people can read more than one or two lines in a post.

If you'd opened with something like "flying to bergamo - resort suggestions pleased" and stuck your interest in Sauze, but wanted other feeback you would have got it. As luigi says you've now got lots of good advice but buried across different threads.

BB
snow report
ok gotcha......well i am new to snowheads after all Puzzled will keep that in mind for the next thread about which is the best bar to go to in the whole of italy and i might open it up across a variety of threads and websites see how that one runs Laughing seriously though dont really mind reading through them find peoples opinions quite interesting and it does help !!
sauze d'oulx has fallen through for the simple fact that the flights to turin were sold out for the days and dates i wanted hence the question about resorts near milan,after reading through them there though it looks like it could be a toss up between la thuile,passo tonale or a very possible cervinia or shag it i could just sit on the bus for lots of hours and head up to livigno for the 4 days,the thoughts of that journey after flying though doesn't exactly tickle my belly with excitement rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy