Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
cane_, If you have a car a fairly common way is to drive down to the cablecar station at Stechelberg where there's a big car park and take the cable cars all the way up, if the queues are not too bad it should take just over 30 mins to get up to the Schilthorn though you do have to change cablecars a couple of times though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cane_ or......you can park your car in Lauterbrunnen and take the cablecar upto Grutschalp and then get off at Winteregg and jump on the fast 4 man chairlift (travelling time from Lauterbrunnen to Winteregg chair....12 minutes)

ski map of Murren
http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region/muerren-schilthorn

the cablecar ride down from Grutschalp to Lauterbrunnen

http://youtube.com/v/azpgXlAy5Is
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks a lot, I think is better way to come to the cablecar station at Stechelberg.

The ski pass cover cablecar ride, or this is some extra cost?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep Pass covers cablecar from either location so far as I know
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again. Just can't wait to come.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cane_ wrote:
Thanks a lot, I think is better way to come to the cablecar station at Stechelberg.

The ski pass cover cablecar ride, or this is some extra cost?

It does
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like they have had a steady snowfall the last 24hrs in Wengen and further up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman,
Quote:

Looks like they have had a steady snowfall the last 24hrs in Wengen and further up.

Well I told everyone on the 15th to expect snow Weds/Thurs this week, I guess it got slightly slowed, wonder how much snow has actually come down, I was predicting maybe a total of 15cm in Wengen, how did I do ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Murren got 30cm in total over the 2 days
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, Looking at the DHO webcam not to far out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well the good news is I expect the weather to stay really cold for at least next week, the bad news is that there will be minimal snowfall, Wednesday looks like it might give 10 to 12cm of snow at Wengen levels but that looks like it, currently the following week looks like it will stay below zero but that at most there will be a light dusting of snow on or arround 02/03 of Feb
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:
Well the good news is I expect the weather to stay really cold for at least next week, the bad news is that there will be minimal snowfall, Wednesday looks like it might give 10 to 12cm of snow at Wengen levels but that looks like it, currently the following week looks like it will stay below zero but that at most there will be a light dusting of snow on or arround 02/03 of Feb

The region was lucky to get the 30cms + last week compared to most of the french resorts missing out -

Example - Les Coches France (La Plagne paradi skis area)
www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/montchavin/interface.php?pk_interface=65&m=images&r=panoramique&pk_pano=6826

ps..done that resort,have the t-shirt and wouldnt go back!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes wrote:
cane_ or......you can park your car in Lauterbrunnen and take the cablecar upto Grutschalp and then get off at Winteregg and jump on the fast 4 man chairlift (travelling time from Lauterbrunnen to Winteregg chair....12 minutes)
waiting time in the Q for the cable car at Lauterbrunnen in Feb half term because Chris has told everyone how wonderful it is on the 'other side' ???- more than 12 minutes, but probably still quicker than the First cable car! 'Laughing'

Has anyone hired equipment from Alpin Centre in Wilderswil?
The Wengen shops all charge Adult rates for 13-15yr olds, so with 4 of that age in our party it's looking a bit pricey - (they are all still growing so it's not worth getting their own skis and boots yet). Obviously the service in Central sport is second to none, but its over £250 difference over 8 days - that's enough for a weeks worth of Rugenbrau and Brandegg Apple fritters ! 'Razz'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Taxi Service for the Lauberhorn race -

http://vimeo.com/18891368
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Talking of videos - just been watching Natural High - a freeride / history film about the Bernese Oberland. Well worth a look. http://www.naturalhigh.ch

Loads of footage from Wengen and even more from Murren snowHead
snow report
Now that's what Murren and Grindelwald need ! A chopper taxi...
latest report
Air glaciers has been doing that for years Wink

Slightly pricey, but you can hire them to fly whereever you want Wink
latest report
An experienced British skydiver has plummeted to his death while attempting a base jump in Lauterbrunnen

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350392/British-Base-jumper-dies-leaping-High-Ultimate-rock.html#ixzz1C7eTezbH
ski holidays
Some more off piste skiing at Winteregg and the Schilthorn 23/01/11

http://www.vimeo.com/19103580

thanks to Patrick Pearson for sharing
http://www.piz-gloria.com/index.php?id=13&L=1
ski holidays
Hurry up and snow please !!
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:

New moon next weekend I think - usually changes things.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

New moon next weekend I think - usually changes things.

I hope that works as i would like more snow before we arrive ....lol (like last year 150cm in the village....powder heaven !!)
snow report
Latest PR video for the Hotel Eiger, Murren...lol

http://youtube.com/v/rrpz6JjAFw8&feature=player_embedded
ski holidays
D G Orf, please give me some good news and tell me next week the temps will drop back down with a good dumping of snow
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
D G Orf, please give me some good news and tell me next week the temps will drop back down with a good dumping of snow

Looks like the weather is going to change at the weekend - for the worse. Tropical temperatures and sun forecast Sad
snow report
I know, that's why I'm asking if the temps will drop back down next week with new snow...its not looking good and will be out there soon !!
ski holidays
Lots of detail (and noise) in the weather outlook thread, but the blocking high over the Azores seems to be reluctant to move at the moment, sending all the Atlantic lows too far north to be of any use to the Alps.

ski holidays
I don't want to do this but ....

No snow for foreseeable future, very warm temps from Friday peaking around Sunday at +9C dropping slightly early next week but then possibly getting warmer again around Sunday 13th
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DG Orf: "No snow for foreseeable future, very warm temps from Friday peaking around Sunday at +9C dropping slightly early next week but then possibly getting warmer again around Sunday 13th"

SF now looks a bit more positive about 12-13th onwards , temps dropping to around freezing and 'snow showers'.
Fingers crossed, otherwise we'll all be joining Chris up in the Engetal Smile
ski holidays
I love Wengen, it is a great place to stay and it is as picturesque as any of the Swiss resorts. Godd nightlife, the list goes on, it is a favorite of mine. I wrote a blog article about it Hope it provides a good insight Very Happy
snow conditions
jim1515 wrote:
I love Wengen, it is a great place to stay and it is as picturesque as any of the Swiss resorts. Godd nightlife, the list goes on, it is a favorite of mine. I wrote a blog article about it here. <link> Hope it provides a good insight Very Happy

Your blog is inaccurate: access to the mountain is limited to cog railways which are slow and can be frustratingly infrequent. The lack of snowmaking facilities can also be frustrating

So you didn't discover the Mannlichen cable car then, which takes 5 minutes to get you to 2200 metres, nor did you notice the millions that have been spent on snowmaking in the past few years.

If you're going to publish facts, let's make sure they're actually facts!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-02-11 16:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jim1515, as you only appear to use this forum to spam your own website, I have removed your link from all of your posts.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
damn.....did i miss something !
ski holidays
Train crash!!!!

Happened at Allmend yesterday - nobody hurt. Official press release from JB: http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/winter/unternehmen/medien/mitteilungen/detail/archive/2011/02/article/kollision-bei-der-wengernalpbahn-630/
latest report
Oh dear, I often wondered whether or not they had train crashes in the Jungfrau! Everything seems to run with such efficiency but I guess everyone has their "off" days! Lets hope it's a very rare occurance.
snow report
It was +7C at Winteregg at 1PM Saturday just gone, very slushy in the sun, less so as the altitude increases but not looking great for the future, it seemed to just get warmer each day.
That said the skiing on the whole was pretty decent, and the temp dropped to -5 overnight which rejuvenated the slopes temporarily, but come 11AM the sun bathed spots were rather on the wet side.
snow report
eddyr, thanks for the update, keeep them coming !
latest report
The high slopes at Grindelwald although warm, were in remarkably good condition, rivalled Murren, both seemed a little better in my view than Wengen.
There's still plenty of skiing to be had, just get up early and come down a bit earlier than you might normally Wink
snow report
Hi Guys, how is weather there? snow conditions? I was in January 22/23 (Saturday Wengen / Sunday Murren) and it was beautiful. I'm coming tomorrow morning, again.
latest report
telford_mike, as I recall several years ago a particularly strong gust of wind toppled one of the trains off the tracks above Wengeneralp which I believe is the reason they now stop the trains in especially high winds.

Fortunately such events are rare and usually result in no serious injuries because of the slow speed of the trains

Weather update, 50/50 chance of snow from Sunday, may be light rain if temps are a bit high, total snowfall won't be huge, perhaps 20cm by thursday next week.

Following week may get the odd flurry of snow but not much however from the 23rd temps look like the may well drop considerably, as per all my forecasts anything beyond a week away is likely to change
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy