Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike wrote:
AdrianV wrote:
telford_mike,
Webcam is excellent - though facing into the room may be more interesting in the evening!

I have IE7 (not such an old browser!) on the machine I am using at work, and the menu list at the left is displaced to the right so it overhangs the main frame.

I believe I have fixed this glitch now - if anyone could confirm I'd be most grateful!

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml

Yep, fixed.........apart from a tent in the middle of the picture!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AdrianV wrote:

Yep, fixed.........apart from a tent in the middle of the picture!

Yeah, most inconsiderate. Unfortunately no amount of effort on the Style Sheet is going to fix that Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris,

thanks - have been in touch with the skischool. Sadly they tell me that there is not enough snow to go off-piste at the moment. So we will play it by ear and hope for snow.

Any uptodate reports welcome!

Jed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike - no. the place is pretty dead. There's not much atmosphere, the locals are not really interested in the punters, but the flipside is tables everywhere and absolutely no lift queues, and emptyish pistes Happy

eddyr we just moved to Grindelwald today, after a nice bug dump last night. We saw the lower slopes from the train on the way over and they looked completely transformed - good soft cover Happy. i bet the skiing up in Schiltorn / Riggli etc was amazing. The snow in Grindelwald was fantastic - soft dry powder, very forgiving and lots of easy off-piste. Cue lots of back bottom-over-titness and laughter Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent! I like quiet, and snowy quiet at that Wink

Always love to dive into the trees and such like where possible to get away from people. Did that in Whistler/Panorama more than I've ever in Europe mind.
I really liked the First ski area, some cool runs up there (particularly the bowl type area, with some awesome high speed rolling runs!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from 3 days skiing in Murren.Skied Fri 7th to Sun 9th January. Very quiet on the slopes and in the restaurants on the mountain. Lunch two days in the Piz gloria revolving restaruant, didn't book and both times had no trouble accommodating 10 or 12 on the tables by the window. lunch on the third day was in the cozy atmospheric Shilthornhutte.

Very warm weather (for January), temparature 5 degrees in Murren at 9.30am on Friday. Snow getting stripped off the lower pistes at an alarming rate and spring conditions higher up. we still had lots of fun skiing though. There was however about 3 inches of fresh snow in the village on Monday morning when we left.

We stayed at the Eiger Guest House http://www.eigerguesthouse.com/. I can't praise this place highly enough, Eva and her staff treated us wonderfully, including baking an enormous birthday cake for my 50th birthday on Sunday. We couldn't finish the cake, and were given doggy bags with pieces of the cake to eat on thejourney home. I was forced to salsa dance with Eva on my birthday as well, fortunately there is no video evidence of the resulting crime against dancing.

I would recommend the Eiger Guest house to anyone who is looking for (relatively) cheap accommodation in Murren. The rooms arew modern and clean, and the staff are friendly. Note that the Eiger guesthouse is not the same place as the Eiger Hotel (which I understand is also very good). It is situated directly opposite the BLM station.

One of the party organised a quiz on the Sunday night. The quiz subject was me. There were 4 teams of 3 players. Embarrasingly my team came last!. It seems my friends know more about my life than I do Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike wrote:
Who the hell told the Lauberhorn people they could build a marquee in front of my webcam?

They have also moved the Figeller/Sports Centre webcam to show more big tents - and the stage for the Lauberhorn festivities this weekend. Check it out any evening Thursday, Friday and especially Saturday to see the post-race Partaaay! ('Madeye-Smiley') Fond memories from my visit last year, looks like cracking weather this weekend as well, shame the snow isn't better. My brother came back on Sunday and said that the runs into the village were getting very slushy. ('Sad')
Hey there will be another interesting sight on Mike's DHO webcam, for anyone who moans about queues in Feb half-term week/ high season, check out the queues for the Lauterbrunnen trains after the race has finished on Saturday afternoon. Last year they were round the station, up the hill, past the CO-OP and down the hill and under the railway. I went home the long way via Grindlewald!

sorry, forgot to post the webcam link http://www.myjungfrau.ch/de/page.cfm/cam_wengen
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More news for anyone with Eurosport HD on Satellite or cable: Lauberhorn Super Combined, Downhill and Slalom are all Live on Eurosport HD on Friday/Sat/Sun - now that's what I got my new 50" HD TV for! 'Very Happy'
(Other Eurosport channels are available in std def.)
For anyone with Freeview, BBC are showing the Downhill on the RED button on Saturday 11:30-12:30, Slalom on Sunday morning, with Ski Sunday covering the downhill at 16:45 on Sunday. Set your videos folks (does anyone still have a Video?)
If anyone is missing the 'Lauberhorn Live', or like me can't wait until February, try the Ski Challenge game, free to download here http://www.skichallenge.ch/en/. The Lauberhorn 2011 course is now available. But be careful, it gets very addictive! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spud9 wrote:
Just back from 3 days skiing in Murren.Skied Fri 7th to Sun 9th January. Very quiet on the slopes and in the restaurants on the mountain. Lunch two days in the Piz gloria revolving restaruant, didn't book and both times had no trouble accommodating 10 or 12 on the tables by the window. lunch on the third day was in the cozy atmospheric Shilthornhutte.

Very warm weather (for January), temparature 5 degrees in Murren at 9.30am on Friday. Snow getting stripped off the lower pistes at an alarming rate and spring conditions higher up. we still had lots of fun skiing though. There was however about 3 inches of fresh snow in the village on Monday morning when we left.

We stayed at the Eiger Guest House http://www.eigerguesthouse.com/. I can't praise this place highly enough, Eva and her staff treated us wonderfully, including baking an enormous birthday cake for my 50th birthday on Sunday. We couldn't finish the cake, and were given doggy bags with pieces of the cake to eat on thejourney home. I was forced to salsa dance with Eva on my birthday as well, fortunately there is no video evidence of the resulting crime against dancing.

I would recommend the Eiger Guest house to anyone who is looking for (relatively) cheap accommodation in Murren. The rooms arew modern and clean, and the staff are friendly. Note that the Eiger guesthouse is not the same place as the Eiger Hotel (which I understand is also very good). It is situated directly opposite the BLM station.

One of the party organised a quiz on the Sunday night. The quiz subject was me. There were 4 teams of 3 players. Embarrasingly my team came last!. It seems my friends know more about my life than I do Puzzled

I hope you had a memorable time for your birthday. In general did you like Murren and what it has to offer?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sherlockis wrote:
More news for anyone with Eurosport HD on Satellite or cable: Lauberhorn Super Combined, Downhill and Slalom are all Live on Eurosport HD on Friday/Sat/Sun - now that's what I got my new 50" HD TV for! 'Very Happy'
(Other Eurosport channels are available in std def.)
For anyone with Freeview, BBC are showing the Downhill on the RED button on Saturday 11:30-12:30, Slalom on Sunday morning, with Ski Sunday covering the downhill at 16:45 on Sunday. Set your videos folks (does anyone still have a Video?)
If anyone is missing the 'Lauberhorn Live', or like me can't wait until February, try the Ski Challenge game, free to download here http://www.skichallenge.ch/en/. The Lauberhorn 2011 course is now available. But be careful, it gets very addictive! snowHead

yes....very addictive !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sherlockis,

Nice one - cheers! As for the queues for the train, I guess it would be quicker to walk down to Lauterbrunnen from Innerwengen if there's not too much snow, although this might be a daunting prospect for those who have had a bit too much hospitality!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Spud9 wrote:

I hope you had a memorable time for your birthday. In general did you like Murren and what it has to offer?

Yes. Loved it. There's something for all levels of skiers (although not a lot of each). Murren perhaps gives a little glimpse of what 1950's skiing was all about (although with better lifts). Will certainly return at some point, probably for another 3 day break.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love the Lauberhorn ski challenge - such a time waster!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skilegs wrote:
Love the Lauberhorn ski challenge - such a time waster!!

Skilegs - not so much a timewaster but a very blunt instrument to show just how much easier these computer games are than the real (scary) thing Shocked
You can certainly look at trying to spot the lines right for your next trip down 'Lauberhorn Live', but get anywhere near my game 'personal best' in real life - never! better to add a nought to the minutes. These days I just time it until I have to take my first stop to sort out my burning thighs, normally somewhere near the board where the Wixi no 44 splits off!.
Great pictures of the Super Combined today, lovely and sunny but very warm- 5c in Wengen this morning. Check the time-lapse webcam for the course finish for today and tomorrow
http://www.bildersammlung.ch/lauberhorn-webcam-wetter-lauberhorn/webcam.php
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike wrote:
sherlockis,

Nice one - cheers! As for the queues for the train, I guess it would be quicker to walk down to Lauterbrunnen from Innerwengen if there's not too much snow, although this might be a daunting prospect for those who have had a bit too much hospitality!

Mike - there were a few hardy souls trekking down the path last year, and no, there weren't many sober locals! Check out the Mittagshorn webcam
tomorrow afternoon to see if anyone is braving the walk down to Lauterbrunnen, as the snow has almost disappeared it should be a safe trudge down - and much quicker than the train. Last year they said queues were 60-90 minutes - and the walk is free
http://www.bildersammlung.ch/wengen-webcam-live-wetter-webcam-wengen-live-cam-mittagshorn-schweiz/webcam.php
ski holidays
I haven't been following this thread from the beginning, can someone summarise it for me in one sentence please? Cool
snow report
Wengen is better than Murren Laughing
snow report
Smokin Joe, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, Laughing Laughing
snow report
And Both Wengen and Murren are better than Grindelwald wink Laughing
ski holidays
So how are the conditions there generally other than a bit warm? Heard they shortened the course because it wasn't so good
snow conditions
Smokin Joe wrote:
Wengen is better than Murren Laughing

LMAO! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Time-lapse view of the DHO-cam now available: http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/Wetter-Wengen/446-Wengen-Wetter.php
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Time-lapse view of the DHO-cam now available: http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/Wetter-Wengen/446-Wengen-Wetter.php

looking good...The region needs snow asap !!
snow conditions
Looks like the area might get some (maybe 6 inches) Wednesday/Thursday this week, more importantly it looks like the weather will be colder so any new snow should stay, there maybe further light falls the following week but at the moment it doesn't look great for huge snowfalls
snow conditions
Just got back from Murren, had a great time and ditto to Blewyn about hotel Eiger, staff really "rocked" nothing was ever too much trouble, food was superb and hotel spotlessly clean. The area could have done with a bit more snow towards the end of the week though. This was the first time we had been this early in the season and had a lovely surprise at how quiet the area was, on Friday we had most of the pistes all to ourselves.
Saturday morning we watched the ski race from Wengen using the binocular's from the hotel terrace.
We met a 96 year old British skier staying in the hotel with his family, he had been skiing since he was 2 years old and had no intention of stopping yet!
latest report
suzysue2 wrote:

We met a 96 year old British skier staying in the hotel with his family, he had been skiing since he was 2 years old and had no intention of stopping yet!

That would be Peter Lunn. Total respect! Cool
snow report
suzysue2 wrote:
Just got back from Murren, had a great time and ditto to Blewyn about hotel Eiger, staff really "rocked" nothing was ever too much trouble, food was superb and hotel spotlessly clean. The area could have done with a bit more snow towards the end of the week though. This was the first time we had been this early in the season and had a lovely surprise at how quiet the area was, on Friday we had most of the pistes all to ourselves.
Saturday morning we watched the ski race from Wengen using the binocular's from the hotel terrace.

Im glad you had a wonderful time. Was this British skier by any chance Peter Lunn ?...a wonderful gentleman.
I didnt think he stayed at the Eiger Guesthouse but the timing is right for the 68th Inferno.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Chris, yeah it was Peter Lunn, what a gent, I hope I'm still skiing at 60 never mind 96! We were in the Hotel Eiger not the guest house. He is not entered in the Inferno this year but was still out skiing a few times during the week. Total respect!

Do you know about his career? He was telling us all about it, very "colourfull!"
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:

Awesome, Thanks Mike. Spot the Q's on Saturday, I'll never whinge about Feb Half Term again!
ski holidays
suzysue2 wrote:
Hi Chris, yeah it was Peter Lunn, what a gent, I hope I'm still skiing at 60 never mind 96! We were in the Hotel Eiger not the guest house. He is not entered in the Inferno this year but was still out skiing a few times during the week. Total respect!

Do you know about his career? He was telling us all about it, very "colourfull!"

Sorry, for some reason i thought you stayed at the Guesthouse even thou you had posted it previously.

Yes, i do know about his career and yes, extremely colourful and very interesting. We sometimes bump into him in Murren and know him due to being a K member. To still be skiing at his age....Amazing !!!
snow conditions
suzysue2, as one who has just turned 60 - it's easy, just more coffee and apple fritter breaks at Brandegg before hauling these old bones back on to the piste........and then leaving the kids (Number one son and number one daughter) floundering in your wake. What fun!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Totally agree about Peter Lunn. I've never met the Gent, but he sounds amazing.

Hope he visits the best resort (across the valley) from time to time snowHead
ski holidays
Hi, I'm planing to come in Jungfrau next weekend (Saturday morning arrive), I never been there at all. I'm coming by car, how I can reach the Murren ski resort. Where I can park the car and how to get Cableway.
Or, for my first time there maybe is better go to Greinwald. Where is easiest way to park the car and get lift to ski slopes?
snow conditions
cane_, Welcome to Snowheads.

You can park your car at the multi-story carpark in Lauterbrunnen. It is on the left just before the railway station. The Murrenbahn valley station is just across the road.
snow report
cane_, Be aware that Saturday is Inferno race day, which is all rather fun but will somewhat restrict where you can (or can't) ski in Murren. And the whole town will be full of crazy fools in unpleasant coloured skintight lycra carrying silly long skis.
ski holidays
cane_, I would suggest you go to Wengen instead. The train to Wengen goes from just beside the car park. Best scenery in the entire alps.
ski holidays
cane_ If you are staying for 7 days or more then you can book the car park (useful as it's Inferno weekend, so it might be busy), otherwise it's take pot-luck when you arrive. The car-park does get busy at weekends and when events are on
http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/parking/multi-storey-car-park/lauterbrunnen-multi-storey-car-park
There are other car-parks in Lauterbrunnen, but these are open-air. The other option would be to drive on to Stetchelberg and go up to Murren on the cable-car.
latest report
cane_, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

As mentioned above you are arriving when the Inferno is on from the 19th- 22nd so unless you are entering it be prepared for a limited ski area. I would suggest visiting Wengen for the day specially if you fancy skiing on grass (lol) at resort level.
As you will see for yourself when you visit Murren the views from the slopes above are the best in the region

ski holidays
If anyone fancies capturing some of the flavour of the Lauberhorn weekend, here's some interesting pictures Very Happy
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/galerie/bildergalerien/galerie/lauberhorn11/

let's hope that the blue skies and wonderful views on the TV coverage don't encourage any more visitors in Feb half-term.
Still, there were enough shots of the grass pistes to keep Chris happy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thanks for replay. telford_mike, under a new name, skilegs, sherlockis and Chris Brookes

I'm temporary in Strasbourg (FRANCE) right now, so, I will come in Wengen this weekend (22/23 Jan.) , only Saturday and Sunday for ski.

I already booked room in Interlaken city. As I said, I never been there, I come with friend, family will stay at home, this is only ski weekend for me,
If I find useful for whole family, we will come back, for sure.

So, I think, the best way to see most of resort is to go in Saturday to Grund place, get the lift and go to the top, Sunday I will come to Murren, for sure.

But, in Murren, is it only way to get slopes by train? or not?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy