Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
stab, o yes......just keeping my fingers X
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bring it on !!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, and that's for Bern Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok here's my latest forecast for Wengen, temps will stay above freezing until late saturday with possible light rain from now until then, it may just be cold enough for it to fall as snow above arround 6000ft, possibly even as low as Murren on Wednesday, the best chance for heavy snow looks to be about a week today, with perhaps 15 to 20 cm falling between Sunday 21st and Tuesday 23rd, longer range forecasts indicate that this cold snap may be particularly cold next week with temps dropping as low as -10C at village level and further snow a distinct possibility before Feb 1st perhaps as much as a further 30cm.

So in summary if you are there this week I hope you have your walking boots, this may also apply to much of next week at lower levels, beyond next week things look like they might get better, but that is at best a 50/50 chance of being right
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
word on the street is about the same, rain starting tomorrow night ( I thought today was wednesday, turns out it's tuesday) and continuing until Fri, then snow up high for the weekend.
If it does rain and doesn't get much colder then I've heard it's closing. Pretty cold these last 2 days and some weather is definitely moving in today, see what happens. I'm considering going to zinal or zermatt for a few days.

Today I caught the train home for the 1st time this year, I hate doing that but the piste is just too icey for me to cope with. Got my broken board back and am going to put an 87 deg edge onto it and give that a whirl.
Apparantley the top part of the Schilthorn area (and no further) is the best place to go at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hear from 2 friends the place to be is First. Apparently they have snowreserves left which they use to cover the open slopes, so there is no ice whatsoever there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not a skier myself, but my wife and I are currently in Wengen, and were up the Mannlichen on Sunday. There's plenty of snow up there, and the piste is open down to Holenstein (the halfway point to Grindelwald). But from there to Grindelwald is closed. Lots of people are skiing quite happily.

There were also a lot of people skiing when we were in Kleine Scheidegg a few days earlier.

There is virtually no snow on the roads in town, but there is still some on the nursery slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brian Bollen, Mannlichen, especially between Lager/Mannlichen chair bottom stations and Holenstein is pretty icy though. While First is said to be simply in good (NOT ICY) condition.

Nurserys are all artificial, or what remains of it... Wengiboden, the nursery stretching to the Park hotel has no artificial, and it shows, cus they had to shut it (nothing left at the top)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, interesting you say it's icey, I was sure skiers were having fun and it was just me having problems with the ice, good to hear everyone is having trouble.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the encouraging rune reading everyone - what a dreadful season so far. When we go at the end of February we are being joined by Mrs T's cousin from Vancouver. We have persuaded her to co0me skiing in Wengen in the worst year for europe in a looong time and the best at whistler for an even longer time...Ooops Confused Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
by the end of feb it will be an epic season and no one will hear from me until the lifts close in april.

at least that's what I keep telling myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The conditions better improve by then as we coming !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bern papers reporting this morning Temps going down sunday Monday. Raining sunday , possible snow Monday so should be better up there in the hills Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, Hi, I was speaking to chalet-service today, they say that its still possible to ski down into wengen! is that true? we're coming on sat.
Is the 3-4 cms of new snow that's forecast going to be enough to sort things out?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alan price, they are talking rubbish mate.
At allmend the piste is roped off and I guess you already seen the pic I posted of the grass, that's the way to wengen.
I jumped said rope today and went down on the closed piste, it's no more than ice and I took the biggest fall I've ever had without breaking anything, got some mild concussion or something, broken neck maybe Laughing Thank god I had my helmet on, would have easily cracked my skull without it.

30-40 cms of new snow would sort it out to be honest, that's sorting it out in a opening up the off piste areas, 3 to 4 I doubt would last a day, the ground isn't that cold anymore.
latest report
stab, have you heard anymore about the weather after the weekend,are they saying its going to snow and how much maybe or any local knowledge about the weather expected for the region ??
snow report
Tomorrow is supposed to be 150km winds on scheidegg, tipi has been lashed to the ground and everything piled onto the sides. Should be raining tonight and that's as far as I know, snow is coming but I don't know how much or how little.
Local people are contradicting each other all the time, some say dump, some say rain. I would go for rain as it was warm today Sad
latest report
stab,hmmmm.not good news then Sad Sad

So how do you get back to the village now..walk or take the cablecar ?
ski holidays
You have to take the train at Allmend, which is what I'll be doing from now on. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
alan price, I suspect chalet service were being a little optimistic, the official report shows that Wengen has just 2cm of snow at the moment, in order to run the piste machine over new snow they need a minimum of 30cm it looks like about 50% of the pistes are open, but without a decent dump of fresh snow (and 3-4cms is not anywhere like a decent dump) the pistes will be hard pressed to last very much longer, thursday and friday the expected rain may wash the last remaing scraps of snow away at low levels, the best hope for the area is that the temps don't rise on Sunday resulting in a fair drop of snow, but having studied the various forecasts I think at the moment that the best chance of a decent snowfall will be on Tuesday next week, the better news is that from Sunday onwards it should be possible for them to start laying artificial snow again.

From Sunday the weather should be colder at the moment it looks like this cold spell will last till the end of the month, however the bad news is that whilst it may be cold, there are no large snow falls predicted, at best it looks like a mere 30-40 cms before the beginning of Feb, I really hope I'm going to be wrong about this but I don't think I am, sorry Sad
snow conditions
Raining & very warm down here in Bern this morning. Sad
latest report
stanton, morning.

Do any of the papers mention snow or lower temps next week or at the weekend ?
latest report
Here are todays local papers (Bern) , getting colder. For the North Friday Snowfall above 2000 lowering tio 1000M sunday

http://www.20min.ch/news/wetter/schweiz

Following site,You can ge the prognosis for say Interlaken & pretty much guess what it will be up in Wengen or Murren

http://www.espace.ch/wetter/

http://www.espace.ch/wetter/schweiz/

I would sayoutlook is genrally rain,snow higher elevations, getting colder snow , freezing level going down.

Beyond Monday who knows Puzzled

This is the official Swiss weather site

http://www.meteoschweiz.ch/web/en/weather.html
latest report
This one of the best sites fomr Basel Uni

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/

And this US Airforce site one of the most reliable

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/hazcharts/eursnow_th.htm
snow conditions
raining in wengen and the mountain is closed Sad
snow report
stab, holidaymakers maybe able to claim compensation with the TO insurance !!

What a season so far...will it improve Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Down here in Bern we are getting the heavy tail winds & rain of "Kyrill" that is currently beating up Germany & the Lowlands
snow report
Guys, I'm flying out on Saturday and from what you say it aint looking good. If the snowdance doesn't work, any recommendations for a good hostilery that sells cheap and cheerful beer! I'll also take the ice axe and might get some decent climing in...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
icebunny, Crystal Bar is the cheapest drinking hole in town (main street), along with Sina's pub (assuming you're staying in Wengen anyway).
snow report
icebunny, which resort ?
snow report
if you go to sina's do not, I repeat do not drink happy hour beer. Unless you like a bad stomach, if you do then go ahead.

For me this season it's the new look rocks, tanne bar oder blue monkey. The rest can whistle, personal reasons wink
snow report
In the spirit of you get what you pay for, I have to recommend the bar in the Falken, on the basis that whilst it's not the cheapest, they do the best Caipirinha in the world - it's a fact! Cool
snow report
As it looks like snow on tue/wed does anyone know if you can ski at tree level towards Grund, or is the run shut before the trees?
snow report
I did the run from scheidegg/arven through the trees down to the tschuggen t bar on monday or sunday, was sheet ice and near on impossible for a board, skiers seemed to be coping. I took the tschuggen t bar back up so don't know how far down to grund you can get. I haven't tried getting down to brandegg yet so know nothing about that run.
After all this time I should at least know the piste numbers but I don't.
ski holidays
Been lurking for a while and I guess I just need to put a voice to my emotions right now.

We have booked an apartment in Grindelwald for a week starting 3 Feb. When should we consider biting the bullet and changing our plans and take the train trip to paris or spain?

Also, is their anywhere in europe where the skiing is actually good right now? I hear Zermatt has snow and saas-fee. Anyone have any info along those lines?

Thanks,

Glenn
latest report
What a storm yesterday,lastnight. OK Im in Bern & nowhere near the centre of Kyrill but we got some severe wind.

This morning @ 07:30 it was 13C Sad

Good News

Temps are going DOWN after the weekend. Predicted 0C on Tuesday & SNOW in Bern on Wednesday Very Happy This can only be even better news for down the road in Interlaken, Wengen etc.

There also saying snow higher up on the preceeding days .

Maybe we just needed "Kyrill" to blow the Auturm away once & for good & get Winter started Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
glennyb, welcome to snowHead 's

Snow is forecasted over the region look back and you will see links to long range weather forecasts for the region,still could be ok by the 3rd Feb wink
ski holidays
stab, When you say it was sheet ice what time of day was it? is it ok early or crap from the start? Are the piste bashers doing thier job? and in your opinion is a few cms of snow going to sort those runs out? I see the metcheck forecast is now predicting less snow and now later in the week! Decision time is aproaching fast (sat am) so looking for as much info as poss. Surely murren is ok in the morning isn't it ? how about first? Just give it to me staight, don't hold back. Whats it like on the wixy and lauberhorn am & pm? Thanks
ski holidays
alan price, Murren is good at the top round Birg and having the new 4str chairlift installed this season means its more accessible. Metcheck and all the other long range websites keep changing as its so unpredictable. Personally, if i was going i wouldnt worry too much as after sunday its all change
snow conditions
alan price wrote:
stab, When you say it was sheet ice what time of day was it? is it ok early or crap from the start? Are the piste bashers doing thier job? and in your opinion is a few cms of snow going to sort those runs out? I see the metcheck forecast is now predicting less snow and now later in the week! Decision time is aproaching fast (sat am) so looking for as much info as poss. Surely murren is ok in the morning isn't it ? how about first? Just give it to me staight, don't hold back. Whats it like on the wixy and lauberhorn am & pm? Thanks

ice was all day, I was on it around 4 in the afternoon. The piste isn't getting slushy in the afternoon, it's just hard all day. I guess it drips from the trees and freezes onto the piste?
The piste bashers around here are a sore subject for me, I'm convinced they never work, or are on strike, not just this winter but every winter. They are scraping as much snow from the sides as they can though and repairing the pistes so they are doing something I guess.
wixy/lauberhorn is ok am and pm, doesn't change.

I wouldn't cancel as there is still skiing to be had and don't forget I snowboard, which isn't easy on ice at all.

p.s. This was all from memory before thu/fr when it has rainied for 2 days Sad I haven't been up since I fell on wednesday.
I may go up today but with most of it closed because of the storm I might just sit it out today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy