Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you ski and be green ?

Can you ski and be green ?
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 14 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 25 ]
Not bovvered
38%
 38%  [ 24 ]
Voted : 63
Total Votes : 63

Poster: A snowHead
The quintessential David Goldsmith question brought to you by 'The Guardian'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2008/sep/28/skiing.eco?page=all

If it were a poll answers would be :-
a) Yes
b) No
c) Not bovvered.

Me ? Not bovvered.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be pretty dishonest to say anything but No.

I am bothered however - so am a bit of a hypocrite.

Having said which - from an ecological point of view the best thing we could do is kill ourselves. So life always involves a compromise.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends who the authority of 'Green' is.... if it anything to do with this government.... don't make me laugh..
but in general we should take more care of the environment we live in.....but how that can possibly work on a world-wide scale, who knows...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It would be pretty dishonest to say anything but No.

I am bothered however - so am a bit of a hypocrite.

Totally the same with me. I'd fly to the Alps over choice, yet i know doing so is damaging the environment and therefore the skiing itself. I do care about the environment, but in the short term, care about skiing more Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
C for me
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another hypocrite here. Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chalk another one up for Option C - I'm *way* too selfish to be an eco-mentalist.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got to have some pleasures in life Very Happy and occasionally they can cause problems, usually for other people Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Add me into the hypocrite camp... although just the one foot..

I reckon that i do way more than the average person in every other way, so I more than balance off the fact that I ski (at least that is what i tell myself).

Besides, everyone has to have some pleasures. If we lived our lives by what's good for the environment, we'd all be living in tents with no electricity, no means of transport and no home comforts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The problem of course is : How green?
There is a massive can of worms (green ones)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course!

"Skiing" doesn't just mean taking the lift up and sliding down. There're many other ways of skiing. I slide horizontally a lot. Wink And I evne walk uphill under my own power before sliding back down.

Still, if I could change my vote, I'd vote C. For if I'm not skiing, I probably would be driving to the mountains to walk or mtn bike, which is not particularly any greener than skiing.

Perhaps the most "un-green" part of my life is to be healthy and live a long life, spending a longer time to trample on the prestine earth! Wink And skiing is indeed an essential part of what makes me healthy (mentally and physically). Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm one big hypocrite.

I advocate protecting the environment especially the mountains.

Yet my passions and activities are hardly conserving them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends what is meant by "green". Like most others, I don't want to wantonly despoil the earth, but I don't subscribe to the rubbish spouted by full-blown eco-fascists such as George Monbiot. I believe that we might as well as enjoy ourselves while we're here, and since skiing is a major component of my enjoyment, I won't desist.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Government terms "green" is a a term for adding stealth taxes. Would agree with laundryman, a lot of the "eco-facists" spout are bull. Phuq them all!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can I go and watch the Swans play football and be green (I don't live near Swansea anymore).

I've just been out on my Mountain Bike. How green is that?

Like a few people have said I am sympathetic to the environment, but I also want to enjoy myself.
latest report
No! The real problem is the world is over populated. Life should be a rich experience & would be pointless if just a struggle to bring more mouths into the world of miserable existence. People, myself included are too selfish to make sacrifices. Skiing resorts, I think, are generally subject to more environmental scrutiny than other realms, much of the joy of skiing comes from the beauty of the environment and we would like to perpetuate it. But then again we are snow addicts and live for the moment.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
It depends what is meant by "green". Like most others, I don't want to wantonly despoil the earth, but I don't subscribe to the rubbish spouted by full-blown eco-fascists such as George Monbiot. I believe that we might as well as enjoy ourselves while we're here, and since skiing is a major component of my enjoyment, I won't desist.

Spot on. I voted 'No' BTW.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
from an ecological point of view the best thing we could do is kill ourselves.

Saw a guy in town the other day wearing a T shirt with the slogan, "Save the Planet, Kill a Human". Cool
snow report
Not unless you are Yoda or feeling very ill wink
snow conditions
"Well we talk about saving the world now, Eddie
It's our vanity gone mad
She'll survive us all perfectly well
When we're all long buried and dead
Clever monkeys with technology
Barely out of the caves and the trees
It's all vanity, all vanity - we try to have control
It's all vanity, all vanity 'cause Chaos rules it all"

Courtesy; New Model Army
snow report
Option C for me

The world will blow up eventually = who cares

Seriously I think there are a few things I can do to minimize my impact - like driving there at 70 rather than 100 Toofy Grin
snow report
Boris, and that way you save more money! Very Happy

For another trip. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Green is a colour - I have no intention of changing colour.

If they mean some some sort of "environmentally friendliness" the term green can be taken to mean almost anything, so could be yes or no depending on how the question is framed. Since there are too many people, and we live too remotely from our more natural origins just living can never be truly "green".
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,

I would have never believed that I see NMA lyrics on here..

I'm off to get me clogs..
latest report
A bloke passed me on the way up a mountain. We were both ski touring (so not using a ski lift) but he had a pair of cross country skis & boots strapped to his back. While I used the car to get there and therefore wasn't totally green he probably set off from his home in the Ausrian alps and was fully green, which was nice.
snow report
Can be bovvered to vote can't be bovvvered to comment Confused snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

and was fully green, which was nice.

Why, it does annoy me that those cross country skier's can't use a hankie Very Happy wink
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Can be bovvered to vote can't be bovvvered to comment Confused snowHead

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
85% of frances electricity come from nuclear power stations, so the electricity that powers the TGvs, lifts, lights, and snow machines is as low carbon as it comes (lower than that from wind turbines etc). Unfortunatly the same cannot be said for the other alpine countries.
ski holidays
JimSearle wrote:
85% of frances electricity come from nuclear power stations, so the electricity that powers the TGvs, lifts, lights, and snow machines is as low carbon as it comes (lower than that from wind turbines etc). Unfortunatly the same cannot be said for the other alpine countries.

Austrian has a large percentage of hydro power, most of which is run of river.

Greenpeace don't agree that Nuclear is so green ....
http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/climate/nuclear-power-increasing-carbon-emissions
ski holidays
I don't think Greenpeace will ever be happy with any form of human economic activity beyond subsistence, and possibly not even that.
snow report
DB, Because Greenpeace is a neutral source that don't get over emotional about issues and don't exaggerate their point.
snow report
Im a member of Greenpeace but dont agree with their (our?) stance on Nuclear, hydro has a big impact as does wind and wave. Nuclear is the only way to produce industrial quantities of low carbon electricity that is relatively cost efficient. At the end of the day neither I nor anyone else is likely to change their energy consumption habits very much so we have to be realistic, for me having looked quite closely at the arguments and economics that means the nukes are the way forward.
latest report
Greenpeace rather lost the plot with the Brent Spar saga - and I have been sceptical of their campaigns since.
snow conditions
JimSearle wrote:
hydro has a big impact

Bigger than Nuclear, if so in what way?

It's not only greenpeace who don't see nuclear as the full solution ....

Quote:
It is said that nuclear power is emission-free. The truth is very different.

In the US, where much of the world's uranium is enriched, including Australia's, the enrichment facility at Paducah, Kentucky, requires the electrical output of two 1000-megawatt coal-fired plants, which emit large quantities of carbon dioxide, the gas responsible for 50per cent of global warming.

Also, this enrichment facility and another at Portsmouth, Ohio, release from leaky pipes 93per cent of the chlorofluorocarbon gas emitted yearly in the US. The production and release of CFC gas is now banned internationally by the Montreal Protocol because it is the main culprit responsible for stratospheric ozone depletion. But CFC is also a global warmer, 10,000 to 20,000 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

In fact, the nuclear fuel cycle utilises large quantities of fossil fuel at all of its stages - the mining and milling of uranium, the construction of the nuclear reactor and cooling towers, robotic decommissioning of the intensely radioactive reactor at the end of its 20 to 40-year operating lifetime, and transportation and long-term storage of massive quantities of radioactive waste.

Quote:
At present there are 442 nuclear reactors in operation around the world. If, as the nuclear industry suggests, nuclear power were to replace fossil fuels on a large scale, it would be necessary to build 2000 large, 1000-megawatt reactors. Considering that no new nuclear plant has been ordered in the US since 1978, this proposal is less than practical. Furthermore, even if we decided today to replace all fossil-fuel-generated electricity with nuclear power, there would only be enough economically viable uranium to fuel the reactors for three to four years.

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0415-23.htm

http://www.nirs.org/factsheets/kyotonuc.htm
latest report
People appear to be split on how long the economically viable Uranium will last if there was a big shift to Nuclear - some say 3 to 4 years some say decades.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Statements/DDGs/2006/sokolov01062006.html

But isn't this just a temporary "fix" because people can't really be ars... bothered to really change? Will our great grandchildren and their descendants have masses of nuclear waste because we couldn't come up with a real solution?

People often blame todays current situation on actions of others in the past but ask them to find a long term solution for the future and they say things like "At the end of the day neither I nor anyone else is likely to change their energy consumption habits very much so we have to be realistic".

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 1-10-08 8:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB, ...and most of that essential Uranium is to be found in which country Confused
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
DB, ...and most of that essential Uranium is to be found in which country Confused

The land of the Bruce and Sheila?

http://www.inb.gov.br/english/reservasMundiais.asp

http://www.world-nuclear.org/education/mining.htm
ski holidays
I'm sure that unless you live in scandanavia and still hand make your skis from local timber that it's impossible to be green and ski, however it is possible to be enviromentally aware and ski, even if that means not buying new kit every year, travelling by train instead of flying to your destination and not dropping litter or worse cigarette buts all over the slopes, you can also choose to go to resorts that have a more enviromentally aware policy
snow conditions
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Mans-Size-Green-Skisuit-Good-Condition-EVF_W0QQitemZ190255300000QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190255300000&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy