Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for first time at Milton Keynes Snozone

Poster: A snowHead
I am hopping from foot to foot with my excitement; my first time - ever - on skis is fast approaching Very Happy

Have lessons book at Milton Keynes on Friday and will hire a jacket and sallies at MK but what do I wear underneath?
I don't own any sports-type clothing apart from fencing gear (highly unsuitable for skiing - though the mask might save my noggin from a few knocks, heh). I do have some lightweight Icebreaker T-shirts and ski socks. It's the legs I'm worried about - I only own jeans and cotton tracksuit pants...

All suggestions welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G, it's not cold, only cold enough to stop the snow melting. And there won't be any wind. You won't need extra layers for warmth. A lightweight icebreaker shirt under the jacket, and a pair of boxers under the salopettes should be fine. You'll be working hard. You'll be required to wear a helmet, so no need for a fencing mask. You will need gloves - and if you fall they might get wet. When I did a snowboarding day there my very tatty gloves got saturated but I still wasn't at all cold. If you're a very cold bod you might want an extra layer under the jacket, at least to start with - anything will do really, you're not doing a mid winter hike up a glacier in the wind, so the usual strictures about breathability and high techy stuff isn't too critical. Scruffy old acrylic jumper, for example.

People who turn up at a snowdome in £1000 worth of high tech gear look daft wink wink

Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, I don't go there that often but normally only wear a T shirt under my jacket and underwear under my trousers. However on your first lesson you're likely to spend a lot of time standing around, side stepping up the slope etc. I think their gear is pretty well insulated so if you don't feel the cold too much that should do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hoodie, fleecy/sweat pants & maybe a hat (hire salopettes if you plan on falling over), indoor snow not very wet, fleece gloves. The full monty gear looks out of place you're not exactly going to have to survive an icestorm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, Have you been in there when they've turned on the snow making machines? Pretty damn cold then. Don't think they do it too often though when there are customers in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, You must have gloves - it's mandatory, and you can't hire them so remember to take your own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers folks, am relieved I didn't rush out to buy that sexy one-piece then Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
fatbob, Have you been in there when they've turned on the snow making machines? Pretty damn cold then. Don't think they do it too often though when there are customers in.

No but I've enjoyed the Kannonblaste while navigating the icy patches of many a home run gong show - makes you yearn for a flight home when at least you get warm gravel thrown in your face (usually in a bag) wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was there at the weekend and although they had 1/2 the slope closed due to a race the other half was not busy - I think the race had put most normal punters off. The side I skied had no obstacles and the snow was fairly good for the place in my experience. Overall the best of the 3 visits I've had condition wise - hope you get the same
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G, are you male or female? Blokes may wear only a tee shirt and boxers under their outerwear because they are "hard". I actually wear thermals top and bottom, and a fleece, under my (padded) outerwear Embarassed .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, I'm a bloke and I always wear thermals as a base layer. If nothing else they are a lot easier to wash than anything padded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi I'm a woman, so do tend to suffer from cold extremeties when inactive. I might consider digging out a pair of old leggings that have been buried in my closet since the *cough* 90s. I saw on the Snozone site that they sell cheap ski gloves online for £15, which I thought would suffice for the indoor gig. Do they sell them at MK?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G,

RE: gloves, you should be able to get away with the fleeced ones and they might double for other use. I wear them in the Dome but I don't plan to fall over. When I was last there, I was asked by a bemused lady what kit I was wearing and why.... it seems nobody had briefed her. I would arrive early and get yourself organised with kit. You can see what others are wearing whilst vewing through the big window but for the 1st lesson you might be standing around trying to get used to these long planks underfoot. If you feel the cold I'd use the Icebreaker and a mid layer ( not thick, just another layer ) and your leggings. You might well get this wrong and be too hot. It is problably better this way round for your 1st time. They will also give you a helmet which will keep heat in. As you will be in a closed off area, I wouldn't think it too hard to take off a layer and stash it nearby. You will all be in the same boat if this is a group lesson. You'll have a laugh, make friends etc...

You'll soon be back here, buying all sorts of stuff...and the cycles continues..!!! Laughing

There are a couple of clothing shops to entertain you that sell all manner of ski kit..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi,
Quote:

I actually wear thermals top and bottom, and a fleece, under my (padded) outerwear
what on earth will you be wearing at Tignes in December then? wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, Don't ask... wink or you'll have your work cut out with the Magster and Rednose...!!!
snow conditions
Zero-G, ooooh - have fun on the snow! I'm sure you'll be hooked - and remember its 10 times better actually on a mountain snowHead snowHead
snow report
Zero-G, if you're a fencer, your legs will be in great shape for skiing. All those lunges! snowHead
snow report
it can get real cold when they make snow or have to shut off the underground cooling pipes. The cooling was shut off last week when an unnamed snowHead drilled through pipe when setting a race course and set off a geiser of green glycol... Laughing Laughing Half the slope was shut for a few days and it got major cold inside but he snow was good....
snow report
Zero-G, You wont need anything underneath apart from underwear and a t shirt. There isn't much standing around - you'll always be shuffling up the slope to be next in line for the next task, or be doing something yourself. Decent gloves are a must, so get them before you go.
If you do fencing I would imagine that you will cope with the lesson without any problems.
A woolly hat might not be a bad idea, just in case you start feeling nippy.
ski holidays
When I went to one of these indoor thingies, I was absolutely freezing and really wished I'd had a middle layer on.
ski holidays
paulio, Was that your trip to Landgraaf? Much, much colder there than MK, you need proper ski kit where at MK it's more about waterproofing than lots of extra layers for warmth.
ski holidays
homphomp, yes. Bloody freezing.
latest report
paulio, Indeed it is....good excuse for a warming Gluwein in the bar though! Very Happy
ski holidays
And I got a soaking wet @rse from spending all my time sat down in the middle of the run, proper snowboarder style.
latest report
Zero-G, have a great time, but remember, if someone shouts "fleche", it has nothing to do with an aggressive charge towards another skier with your ski pole held out in front of you Shocked .....it's a sort of giant slalom race..... wink

That said, you skills may come in handy for any boarders that get in the way..... Toofy Grin
snow report
The last (and first) time I went to Castleford I just wore a fleece and jeans. Didn't find it cold at all. The problem I did have is that after a while, my gloves got a bit damp from sweat and sitting down and stuff, and then my hands got very cold. But the temperature itself wasn't a problem Smile

Anyways, have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
MK was freezing 2 weeks ago and for a 2 hrs session I was glad of ski jacket/sallies and decent ski gloves.
Have fun Smile
ski holidays
Ok, will take a few extra layers in case I get cold. Will buy the cheapo Snozone ski gloves at MK for the purposes of my lessons. And will most definitely have fun! And I'll be trying out my spanking new fitted ski boots too.

Chasseur wrote:
[b] ...remember, if someone shouts "fleche", it has nothing to do with an aggressive charge towards another skier with your ski pole held out in front of you...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Though the more likely scenario is that I'll drop into the en guarde position any time the instructor asks me to do something Embarassed

(Right now, I feel like a little kid counting down the hours before xmas)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Though the more likely scenario is that I'll drop into the en guarde position any time the instructor asks me to do something

you could do worse. wink
snow report
pam w en guarde with skis might prove funny, if not disasterous Shocked

Btw do they have lockers at MK, to stash one's valuables while losing one's dignity on the slope?
snow conditions
Zero-G, yes, they have lockers. They are £1.00. Or call it £2.00 as you will always either:
a) Put everything in, lock it, realise that you have left something vital in it and have to open it again and insert another pound
b) Put everything in, lock it, realise that you have left something vital out of it and .......

But you won't have any £1.00s anyway because you will have used them all for the car park ticket rolling eyes
snow conditions
maggi, or you can put in a 20 cent euro coin...... they work just fine.....
ski holidays
skimottaret, good tip, thanks! Now you've posted that, I expect they'll see quite an increase in foreign currency transactions Laughing .
snow report
skimottaret, at the current exchange rate there isn't much difference rolling eyes
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
Ok, will take a few extra layers in case I get cold. Will buy the cheapo Snozone ski gloves at MK for the purposes of my lessons. And will most definitely have fun! And I'll be trying out my spanking new fitted ski boots too.

If you've already paid out what must have been a reasonable sum for the boots, why buy cheapo gloves? seems like a false economy to me because you'll need a decent pair in resort.
Decent gloves are not expensive. Cheap ones are a waste of money.
snow conditions
maggi, you didnt hear about from me wink
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
. Will buy the cheapo Snozone ski gloves at MK for the purposes of my lessons.
Probably too late to say this (it is now Friday) but Snowzone don't have a shop - the ski shop is Ellis Brigham, also in the Xscape building and beside the Snowzone entrance.
ski holidays
snowball, snowzone does sell cheapo gloves but if you want something decent EB is your best bet...
ski holidays
My biggest gripe with MK in general (not the snodome) is the cost of parking. Try the green lined spaces near the garden centre - they are free Happy
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
snowball, snowzone does sell cheapo gloves but if you want something decent EB is your best bet...
Oh OK. Is that a change? Couple of years ago when I left mine at home I was directed to Ellis Brigham.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy