Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying new piste skis ... again, but what next?

Poster: A snowHead
New season coming .. new skis to be purchased. You would think by now that I knew what I was doing but I need help again.

I spent most of last season improving my short turns and got to rather enjoy hard pack/icy conditions and short turns in particular. . My Fischer RX8s served me very well but by the end of the season I was beginning to feel that they turned a little too easily ( if such a thing really exists) .. even that they might have been a little sloppy. I wont sell them as they are great for bumbling around on piste, and there isnt that much life left in the edges anyways.

However I would like a slightly stiffer ski to use for short turning piste work when I'm trying hard but am very confused by the blurb and lack of availability, and really need to refine a short test list.

I first looked at the Atomic SL12, but by all accounts they will be too much for me.

The obvious candidates are something a little stiffer than the RX8 from the Fischer range but when I have read reviews from the RC4 range ( and there seem to be a lot of them in that range many with the same/similar side cuts etc. ), I got really get confused additionally shops only seem to hold one model. The other candidates seem to be something from the Tigershark/Racetiger ranges from Volkl, but again the range of choice is doing my head in.

Can anyone help me identify some pure slalom piste skis a little stiffer than the RX8 ... it needs to be model specific so that I can descend on some poor shop . Many of you have seen me ski ( well, if you have rearward vision you have) so all advice appreciated ( apart from joining the darkside).

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossignol 9S Oversize might be one to try. A pure piste ski, 12m radius, fairly stiff torsionally but less stiff longitudinally (much softer than a race ski though, so hopefully not too much to get used to).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dynastar slalom skis have a reputation for being at the softer end of that spectrum (never skied them myself tho) - particularly if you go for the omeglass rather than the full race-room version
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, rob@rar, Thanks very much. Always worth asking here as those are both skis that I hadn't/wouldnt have even considered as noone had reccomended them ... and your narratives seem to be much more appropriate than some of the 'Race skis' that I have been looking at. I do want something stiffer than the RX8s but not something I cant get 'rebound' out of.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Agenterre, Stoeckli Laser SC .... mid life crisis getting worse then ? wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Razz Razz Laughing Laughing I've been dying to 'welcome' you back but didnt want wreck anyone else's threads .. so much for your promises to stick at 6000. I'm starting a book on Gwaelod as well wink

Mmhh .. I'll add the Laser SC to my list ( but thought it was a pure 'race' ski or was that the SL ??) ...

Mid-life crisis has now turned into an obsession for life.. my only fear is getting 'bored' when I stop improving ... but plenty of latitude before that happens rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, head supershape magnums perhaps... I have a pair of race stock RC4 SL's and they are very very stiff. But the RC4 SC is much easier to bend and may be a candidate.

a friend in Oz who skis a lot of different skis is raving over the Head XRC's
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Agenterre, I only promised to pause at 6000 NehNeh

The SL is the "proper" slalom ski but the SC is still a bit of a step up from the RX8. Worth a try though, a great piste ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre, like yourself, I started skiing later in life and it became an obsession too. This coming season will be my seventh and I definitely haven't stopped improving or got bored yet.
BTW try some Rossignol Z5's for pure piste performance.
Good luck with your choice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynamics are a little softer than the Atomics. Mrs Ski likes 3Vs - although she says they are too soft - I reckon they are just more versatile. If you want to cut the mountain to shreds, Rossi (9s oversize) are the ones to go for.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Arno, brian, skimottaret, chris, ski,

Thanks very much indeed. A couple of hours on here and you've put together a test list that would have taken me weeks and I still would have missed loads out.

The list looks like:-
Rossi Radical 9s oversize
Dynastar Omniglass
Stoeckli Laser SC
Head Supershape Magnums ( cant find much out about them other than marketing though)
Fischer RC4 SC
Rosignol Z5s ( but may be a bit soft??)

ski, I'm afraid I have a Salomon aversion ... I skied a rental pair of Equipe SC in the 1st year I skied ( 4/5 weeks in) and they were the softest skis Ive ever skied ( susbstantiated by my instructor) ... maybe they were just 'tired' but these memories last !

Thanks again all .. I reckon any chance to ski 3 of those on the same trip and Ill make a decision. being 1.80m and (hopefully) down to 80 kg by then again I can try <1.70m skis and make a decision.

Thanks very much again.

Oh and sorry about being unfashionable and asking about piste skis !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, Are you looking for old stock or new ones ? Several of the ones on your list have been replaced by something else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, I hadnt realised that as I just 'looked up ' each ski via reviews. Dont give a jot as to which year they were introduced, as long as they help me improve and hit my 'wants list'.
However if there are better replacements then delighted to hear about them. .. and availability is obviously an important element !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, Rossi Z5's soft? I don't understand! They seemed pretty good to me. For piste use, I blatt around (quite fast) on a pair of 12 year old Head Space Xt something or others!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris, Confused I've just spent 10 minutes looking for the review that said Beginner-Advanced and 'forgiving' ( that means super-noodle to me !) and TOTALLY failed to find it ... still going to stay on my list though !
snow conditions
I would try the 2 fischer slalom sc's

so rc4 race sc (bit like your rx8's, but i find them having a higher speed limit and a bit stiffer Embarassed )

and fischer rc4 worldcup sc , (the ones with the flowflex plate, fantastic, but made my dodgy bump skiing even worse, and my legs were well vanished at the end of the day so i went race sc)

try the reviews here

http://www.citizenski.com/ski-reviews/fischer/page/3
ski holidays
Agenterre, the Head Magnums make a good all mountain, but if you want detuned slalom how about the normal Supershape?
snow conditions
Rossi Z5s are soft.

I had a pair in 154s for one season (2005-2006 ski). I had wanted the Z9s but couldn't get them. The previous ski I had was a Rossi 9S (2003-2004 ski). Don't get me wrong, the Z5s were wonderful and easy, but I killed them in a season.

I got a pair of Z9s after that (2006-2007 ski) which were much more stiffer. They are a good ski but not the ski for short turns if that is really what you want to do as suggested by your first post. It was the one thing I really missed being able to do wth the Z9s. So much so that I am replacing them this season with a pair of Rossi Radical Mutix skis that I got from E-Bay for £290 brand new. They're a bit of an experiment, but at that price I decided it was worth it!

My background in that I'm an aggressive girlie skier, 9.5 stone in weight. I also teach so when I buy a ski I tend to think of what it'll be like to teach on the dry slope with. I used to always buy slalom skis but after the 9S I decided to see what else was out there for a change as a lot of the time I'm doing plough work, plough parallels etc. so felt I didn't want a high end ski anymore.

Hope this helps a bit.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Rossignol 9S Oversize might be one to try.

They're what I hoon around on Very Happy if that gives you an idea of what they're like wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, You're right. Having checked again .. its the 'Supershape' that should be on my list .. looking at reviews from different years I think.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, ... oh you suggesting I need something a bit more demanding ? wink

.... well they go straight OK !

snowaddict, well you're obviously a much better skier than I but, yes, I am looking for a pure piste slalom short-turning ski. I have another pair ( Volkl) which cover wider turns and my ocasional off piste snowdrift excursions.
snow conditions
Agenterre, You might want to replace the Stoeckli Laser SC on your list with the Laser SL. The SL is a detuned slalom rather than an allround ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, Ill have to research those tomorrow .. comes to something when you put " SKI XXXXXXXXX review" into Google and the page one returns heavily feature posts in this thread Shocked Hope admin is well paid for that ! wink
snow report
brian wrote:
Agenterre, Stoeckli Laser SC ....

Yes - what he said... or maybe Head SuperShapes?
snow conditions
Agenterre,
Quote:

when you put " SKI XXXXXXXXX review" into Google and the page one returns heavily feature posts in this thread
I found exactly the same - quotes from all over the forum! Toofy Grin
latest report
Agenterre, What About the Atomic SL10, used them for one day last year, very nice, great edge grip and not too stiff.
latest report
Agenterre, I like the look of your list up there. I've never really liked the Head Supershapes myself; but others rave about them.

Where are you at the moment?
snow conditions
Oh yeah, stick the Elan slaloms on the "to do" list, they tend to be a blast.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like the Elan Slalons... not sure of the model number but 2-3 years ago they were making very nice skis...SLX's, I think.

Agenterre, Stockli Laser SC will do all you want....

I tried some RaceTigers as well which were a blast but we need to be careful not to get a ski that wil be tiring all day, ie, you have to drive/ski it ..which is fun, but a bit much if you were on it all week.
That is relative somewhat, to the way you ski, IMV
ski holidays
Thanks everyone .. I think the test list looks like this : -
Rossi Radical 9s oversize
Dynastar Omniglass
Stoeckli Laser SC ( Ill try the SL as well if I can find it)
Head Supershape
Fischer RC4 race SC ( worldcup definitely too much for me I suspect)
Atomic SL10
Elan SLX

That's a long test list and Id be very be lucky to find all in one place but with my RX8s as a reference point that shouldnt be a problem for multiple tests and comparitives...

Mosha Marc, In France at the moment. Not going to Swizzerland until December - and not sure for how long this year.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-09-08 10:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Agenterre, the Elan model looks like it's still SLX.

In fact looking at the ski, it seems to have changed little in the last few years. So you could pick up an older model and save some of yer pension wink

I was also thinking, that if you were over here, you could do some pre-season list reducing test work in a fridge if you were over here. Very Happy
snow report
Mosha Marc, Twisted Evil Actually thought it would a good use of my 'winter fuel' allowance as I could always burn them later. wink

Mhhh .. Fridge as one option and L2A or Tignes or Les Diablerets as the other ......difficult wink
snow conditions
Agenterre, You will be able to find the Rossi R9S, Dynastar Omeglass and maybe the Atomics in Tignes but I don't think you will find the others.
ski holidays
Agenterre, try the Elan Magfire 10. Would suit you down to a tee i reckon
ski holidays
K2 Appache Crossfire? Got them last year and best skis Ive ever owned - 06/07 model. They got one of the best reviews ever in Daily Mail Ski mag, hence the reason I bought them. They are great for fast carving if that's your thing. The new model is a bit wider - 2 cm I think and they are quite heavy skis, but by the sounds of it, this is not a problem?
latest report
Agenterre, you want a stiffer piste ski than the RX8...because the RX8 turns too easily Laughing Act your age man and accept every easy option like it was your last wink
ski holidays
Elan magfires are pants, try the speedwaves which would be much closer to the SLX's
snow conditions
Agenterre, I think you should try a 160cm ski in the range you are looking at. Fischer last year had a ski called Hot Fire if you can find a pair there worth trying. Have a look at this site for reviews click on my ski. www.skipressworld.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy