Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda fans.

Poster: A snowHead
AlastairS, this link may help but depends on arrival time and it looks a long transfer time: http://www.fassa.com/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=25222&s=447&l=EN

where are you flying from and what are your dates ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlastairS, Welcome to snowHead 's

Probably as cheap to hire a minibus or even a couple of taxis if you dont fancy driving.

Have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, how do you get from Campitello to the Terra Incognito beyond Ortisei?

Unsubtle bump or what? But a genuine question.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure whether you are talking about getting there to stay, or to ski it.

If you are talking about to stay, then Passo Sella is normally open between Campitello and Plan de Gralba, and from there you just drive down Val Gardena until you reach Ortisei.

If you are staying in Campitello and want to ski that area, then your best bet is probably to ski to Plan de Gralba then jump on a ski bus, although it is possible to do it by taking the lift up from Plan de Gralba to Piz Sella, skiing down to St Christina from there, taking the underground "train" across town to the Col Raiser area, the lift to the top of that, and ski down from there to Ortisei.

If you have time, you can then get a lift up from Ortisei to Alp di Siusi, but I don't think it reasonable to expect to do that and back in a day from Campitello.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, I did mean to ski. We have booked into an hotel in Campitello for Feb half term. We went round the Sella Ronda a time or two last year and want to go to some different places this year. Will we be seeking taxis and buses then?

Getting a taxi to Ortisei from Campitello seems a reasonable option then?

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:
alex_heney, I did mean to ski. We have booked into an hotel in Campitello for Feb half term. We went round the Sella Ronda a time or two last year and want to go to some different places this year. Will we be seeking taxis and buses then?

Getting a taxi to Ortisei from Campitello seems a reasonable option then?

snowHead

It would probably be the quickest way, but won't be cheap.

I'm not sure if there is a regular bus service over the Passo Sella from Campitello to Selva. If there is, then that would probably be better, followed by ski bus down Val Gardena.

Did you try the Marmolada last time? That is quite a good day trip on skis from Campitello. When we did that (a group of six of us plus the Crystal rep/guide) we left from the Belvedere at 9:30AM, and we got back into the Belvedere at about 3:15PM. The other group were about an hour behind us.

The views from the top of the Marmolada are just stunning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes. WE were in Arabba last year and did the Marmolada (loved the valley ski-in best!) and bused it over to the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri with the Neilsens trip.

Is it a long way to Ortisei from Campitello then? I have a map somewhere....

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, Would be surprised if you can get a taxi or bus that doesn't take a great big slug out of the day.

Looking at the Dolomiti superski map I got a year or two back you could easily just head down the valley a bit (the one you will drive up from the airport) and explore either Predazzo (gondalo from there) or closer to home Pozza di Fassa (new gondalo/chairlift links to Buffaure - which links to Alba - you could ski down to Alba, then ski bus to Canazei or back to Campitello). There was talk about linking Alba up to the top of the Pecol gondalo above Canazei but don't think that has come to much as yet. Haven't skied those two areas but being well off Sella Ronda circuit will be v quiet no doubt and equally great.

Have a great trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish, you could ski Campitello to Ortisei and back in a day:

Up the cablecar to Col Rodella then down towards Piz Seteur (with 2 uplifts along the way), off the back and up to Piz Sella, down a bit then up to Ciampinoi, down the Men's Downhill to Santa Cristina, across the valley on ValGardena Ronda Express shuttle train, up to top of Col Raiser/Seceda area then down the long red into Ortisei. Not sure you would have too much time to go up onto Alpi di Siusi, depends how quickly/early you get to Ortisei. The way back up to Col Rodella from Ciampinoi seems to take longer on the way back, so be careful you don't miss the last lifts, or you will need that taxi.

As patrick318 said, you could also try the areas in the Fassa valley from Campitello, check them out here: http://www.fassa.com/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=54629&s=909&l=EN. The Vigo-Catinaccio area looks particularly scenic.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, I found the webpage which details the Val di Fassa Ski-bus service, hope it helps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the Snow Reports section, I've started a new thread called "Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09". It follows the pattern of some of the other area- or resort-specific reports in that section, it may be of interest to those who are travelling that way this winter, please add your comments, favourite webcam links, on the ground reports, etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are regular vistors to the area, usually Selva. We are there in Dec and in Canazei for NY.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Downhilldan, that's great, you'll have to post some early season snow news after you get back! Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, There is about a 150 metre walk from the bottom of the piste at LA VILLA to the connecting chairlift that gives you the height to ski to Pedraces. Going the other way depending on snow conditions it is a shorter walk. The only problem you may have with Pedraces as a base is that the pistes to and from the village can get very cut up if it is on the warm side as the valley is very open to the sun . Plenty of beer however.
Apparently a new chair "Colz" has just been installed so that one doesnt have to cross the road Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone recommend a pension in Ortesei , Covara or resort suitable for virtual beginner near ski schools- unfortunately for the half-term week.
Thanks
ski holidays
trevor, you can do an online availability search at: http://www.suedtirol.info/SInfo/EntryPage/EN_EntryPage.html

Bear in mind when searching that Ortisei is in Val Gardena and Corvara is in Alta Badia, don't discount results from other Alta Badia resorts such as Colfosco, La Villa, San Cassiano & Badia, all good places for beginners, just make sure you can get English instruction.
snow report
Hey luigi, you seem to be the man in the know!

I *think* I've finally managed to sort out accommodation for my group. Plumped for Ortisei over Canazei/Campitello due to Ortisei looking like it was a bit bigger and nicer and also it has the Alp di Susa area nearby for when we don't want to trek over to the Sella Ronda!

We've found a place near the Ratschotz chair. Looks relatively easy to get up to Seceda and down into Santa Christina then on to Sella Ronda - is that true? Are the red runs down ok for the novice skiers and boarders in the group?

Just waiting for confirmation of booking now... snowHead
snow report
carled, the collective knowledge of snowHeads snowHead is great indeed!

Ortisei has a pretty little town centre. Only been on the Raschotz chair to access the 5km toboggan run from the top to mid-station, that is a 'must', especially in a group! Never laughed so much before or since!

The chair was a single, wooden and very slow (20 min), so not sure if you'd want to use it regularly to acces the skiing. Never done the red from Raschotz/Rasciesa down to the Seceda cablecar, but the reds off the top down to S. Cristina are long and steepish but wide, so didn't faze the confident second-weekers I was with.

There's a regular ski bus service (ticket costs €6 per week) that runs from Ortisei up to the Sella Ronda lifts around Selva:

http://www.valgardena.it/?pagid=454&artid=66&lang=eng

Not sure how close the bus runs to your accommodation, the Raschotz chair is quite a way up the back of town. Also, not sure how you would get back after skiing as it must be an uphill hike from any of the pistes.

Alpi di Siusi area is very scenic but mainly short runs and some face the sun so can get soft.

Hope I haven't put you off, but you would be better off near one of the Sella Ronda lifts in Selva or S.Cristina or near a ski-bus stop. May cost more though. Sad

If you've got a car, none of this is a problem and I would recommend driving up to Plan de Gralba beyond Selva to access some nice easy terrain, better snow and onward links to anti-clockwise Sella Ronda. Park at Dantercepies gondola for clockwise Sella Ronda twd Colfosco and Corvara.
snow report
carled, Like luigi, I would go further up the road! Though it may cost more it is a better location.
ski holidays
Yes, fine in theory, but when you're finding self catering accommodation for 11 people... you have a limited choice. With our group it's not possible to split it up into 4's or 6's easily, trust me... We don't mind the odd 5 minute walk here and there. Ski bus stops outside our accommodation (should we book it, that is!) and the Seceda lift is a 4 minute walk.

We were offered some accommodation over in Canazei/Campitello, but that looks a bit out on a limb for me...? We'll need access to a decent supermarket for food shopping as we're self catering.

Not sure if we'll be driving or bussing from airport to resort yet.
snow conditions
I've got the offer of a pension on Nevelstr in Ortisei for the half-term week. I wondered if anyone perhaps knew if it was in easy walking distance of lifts , ski school etc. I am a very slow & cautious near beginner & am going with my 18 year old son who is far more adventurous. Any advice on ski schools , slopes restaurants etc would be very welcome
ski holidays
trevor, go to http://www.valgardena.it/stchristina/HF/200809/ulrich2009.pdf then find your pension (you can search for text in the pdf) then note grid reference then refer to map at top of document... all you need to know should be there!
latest report
carled, I fully sympathise, I did a group of 12 to Selva 4 years ago, best we could do was 2 apartments on the same floor of a building.

Sounds good if you're near a bus-stop, it's pretty regular at peak times and 4 minutes to the Seceda lift isn't a long walk. Seceda area is really nice, long runs, lots of huts with sunny terraces.

Canazei or Campitello aren't necessarily badly located for skiing as long as you have easy access to the cablecar/gondola, the cablecar at Campitello links directly to the high point (Col Rodella) of the Sella Pass area above Selva (best snow). Canazei has the fair-sized Belvedere & Alba areas and easy access to Arabba one way and Sella Pass the other & of course anywhere else on the Sella Ronda. They're smaller places than those in ValGardena, so probably quieter of an evening, esp Campitello.

There's at least 1 supermarket in Ortisei, so you won't go short of pasta! Very Happy
latest report
trevor, my sister had a good experience with Ski Snowboard School 2000 in Selva. There is a Ski School in Ortisei too, I think the beginners start on the nursery slopes on the other side of the river near the Alpi di Siusi gondola base station, then progress to the runs at the top.

You'll be spoilt for choice with mountain restaurants, they are plentiful, uniformly excellent, serve freshly cooked food, often with table service and good value. A good variety of German/Austrian, Italian and local Ladin food is available

Over the whole Sella Ronda area, some that stand out to me are Comici (fish and pasta) near Piz Sella, Meisules and Forcelles (a mean beefburger) near Colfosco, Fredarola (pizzas) at the top of Belvedere above Canazei, for grilled meat the one just along the ridge from Piz la Ila above La Villa and Rifugio Scotoni halfway down the Hidden Valley of Armentarola. Not forgetting the homemade cakes at Villa Frainela tea shop off to the left above the Selva nursery slopes. I'm salivating at the prospect! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
luigi, You are making me hungry, STOP IT!!!
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
luigi, You are making me hungry, STOP IT!!!

Laughing Laughing

Where do we find time for the skiing? Laughing
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Skiing; what skiing!
ski holidays
seeing as I got some good advice on this thread earlier I'm back looking for more.

I'm in Arabba for a week late jan ( sat to sat ) & wish to get across to Bern afterwards. It looks as though train via Innsbruck & Zurich will be the way, but need to get from Arabba to Bolzano or Bressanone/brixen stations in good time on a sat morning. Have emailed the tourist office, but reply not much help so will phone shortly instead. In meantime, has anyone any experience doing this, or any suggestions?

cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, can you ski over to Selva with your luggage and catch the bus down to Bolzano?

Not being helpful, am I? I'll get my coat! rolling eyes

Sounds like a taxi job, but I've never tried it, so I don't really know if there's another option.
latest report
luigi, If they allow thumping great backpacks on the lifts I'd be tempted to give it a go, anything for some extra time on the slopes ( about the hire skis though .........)

The nearest station to Arabba seems to be Belluno, but thats on a different line, so will be looking into the taxi option, but imagine it will be fairly pricey. Hopefully the tourist office will be able to tell me once I manage to speak to them
snow report
nickH, there may be a bus to Calazo station, there is from Cortina can't remember if it goes through Arabba. That's pretty much on the main line if you get there.
snow report
nickH, it appears there's a way via Corvara to Brunico railway station, check out this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36676

Scroll down to 10th & 14th posts by Robinsmallwood
snow conditions
Thanks Swirly, I'll look into that.
Thanks also luigi, from the thread you show, it obviously is possible by public transport, but pretty slow. If possible I'd like to get to Bern in time to still enjoy the evening there, & the only way that seems likely is if I can get to Bolzano or Bressanone by, say, mid morning. Both these places are on the main line to Innsbruck & only an hour or so away it. From Innsbruck it's easy & a journey I've made a number of times before. I might well try a post nearer the time to see if anyones driving from the area up to innsbruck with space for a cost-sharing passenger.
latest report
Guys - how much of a pain is it to stay around Pozza/Vigo/Moena? To me, it looks like 10/15 minutes brings us to gondola into Sella Ronda and there are numerous other areas to explore around the place too.

We're really struggling to find suitable accommodation around 1st choice of Ortisei and it seems to me there is more availability down the valley a bit due to the short bus ride...

Is it a major nightmare staying down there or perfectly reasonable?
latest report
nickH, the train from Brunico goes to Bolzano although you might have to change (not a long wait) can't believe I forgot about that I used it in Summer rolling eyes It's a lovely line but whether it's of use will depend on times. the trenitalia website's in English and simple to use. If time's a massive issue you might have to get a taxi, no idea of the cost (bus and train will probably be 20-25 euros) as there's no super direct public transport.
latest report
carled, If I were going to Val di Fassa again, I would probably choose to stay in Moena (last time I stayed in Campitello).

As you say, it is only 10-15 minutes on the bus up to Campitello, and you also have quicker access into the Pozza and Cartinaccio areas, and can more easily reach the gondola that takes you over into the Cavalese area, or go up the side valley from Moena into the Trevalli shi area.
snow conditions
Thanks Swirly, will look into that as well. At the moment it looks as though the easiest & quickest way from Arabba will be a taxi to Corvara then bus to Bressanone or bolzano.
The nearst station to Arabba is Belluno which is on a different line & to get to Innsbruck one has to go via Verona & it takes about 7 hrs !!
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
carled, If I were going to Val di Fassa again, I would probably choose to stay in Moena (last time I stayed in Campitello).

As you say, it is only 10-15 minutes on the bus up to Campitello, and you also have quicker access into the Pozza and Cartinaccio areas, and can more easily reach the gondola that takes you over into the Cavalese area, or go up the side valley from Moena into the Trevalli shi area.

Hmm. interesting. Theses places you talk of... good skiing? Bit quieter than Sella Ronda itself? Easy to get to on bus (I doubt we'll hire cars). Had an interesting offer from a place in Vigo (and one in Pozza now).
ski holidays
carled, Definitely quieter than the Sella Ronda, and easy enough on the bus.

From Pozza you have direct entry into the area which runs up the "inside" of the bend in the valley, over to Alba. Pleasant, quiet skiing, nothing difficult. The other side of the valley (with one of those little "road trains" linking the two areas) is the Cartinaccio area, which is also quiet, slightly tougher runs than Pozza/Alba but not many of them. The road train takes you to the lift at Mazzin.

From Vigo, your direct lift takes you up to the Cartinaccio area, but the other side of the area from the lift the road train from Pozza goes to.

I've skied both of those and enjoyed them, but I didn't get over to Cavalese (Latermar or Carezza ski area) or up to Trevalli. For Trevalli it is a bus up from Moena, for the Latermar area, there is a gondola (which you have to use both up and down) which starts next to the main valley road at Predazzo, further down the valley from Moena - I'm not 100% sure the bus does go there, but I believe it does. The piste map at the Obereggen website (one of the villages in the Latemar/Carezza ski area) shows a ski bus stop at that gondola.

You also have the Passo Costalunga area, which I'm not quite sure if it classes as part of the Val di Fassa or not, but again, I think buses go there from Vigo, and I would be willing to bet it would be very quiet.

the val di Fassa piste map here http://www.fassa.com/docs/download.asp?ID=1346 shows you most of the TreValli area and some of the Latemar area as well as shwoing everything in Val di Fassa itself.
latest report
Great information Alex, thanks a lot. Will digest over the next day or so. Cheers!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy