Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Woe, Oh Woe is me

Poster: A snowHead
OH has decreed that I can't go skiing next season because its our silver wedding anniversary year and we have to save up "to go somewhere hot and sunny with a beach" Sad

The fact that said anniversary is not until August Bank Holiday next year and 2009 sees one of my ski buddies' 50th birthday (hoping for a special trip) has no weight in the arguement. I am in the pit of despair. What am I to do Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Divorce.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gosh that's a bit drastic RobW!

How bout temporary separation ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly less drastic - trial separation to cover winter time then reunite for th big event. Plainly you are unsuited.

Or go to Tahoe in March quite likely to be sunny, above zero and technically there are lots of beaches around the lake
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
couple of skiing long weekends away and a beach trip... why not?

or go to Dubai and ski and then go to the beach Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
OH has decreed that I can't go skiing next season

Have you ever fancied snowboarding ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First off, but yourself some trousers and MAN THE *#&% UP, Dammit!!! Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand, the basis of a good relationship is compromise - I also think that a little break from your loved one can be invaluable.

Your wife goes somewhere hot and sunny
You go skiing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

MAN THE *#&% UP

I concur.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think my OH has sort of decreed I shouldn't go skiing for the last 5 years wink Scrimp and save 4 both
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, you have plenty of time. There must be loads of brownie-point-earning things you can do between now and winter to soften the blow when you put your foot down and just TELL her what YOU are going to do. For the boys' trips I just say "by the way, I'm away from x to x" and mark it up in red on the family wall planner (I know, I know). It really isn't a question of "do you mind if I..." or "sweetest, a really old friend has invited me etc etc and, well, I was wondering if blah blah..." you just have to give plenty of advance warning and do it. If we let you get away with handling things your way we're all doomed man!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought this would be about the Frankie Howard documentary that was repeated last night.

Interesting character. Titter ye not !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gee thanks for the advice everyone Embarassed

I'm trying to be reasonable and have suggested that since skiing will come out of this years holiday entitlement and budget then anniversary bash will come out of next years bduget.
Ding, ding round 2 coming up.

Swirly, Guvnor, you clearly haven't met my wife have you now wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand, Give her a skiing trip as an anniversary present! From this year's budget, send her with me on the beginners' & improvers week to LDA in March and ski yourself that week too. Then you've still got next year's budget for the anniversary trip. Sorted Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, she won't chain you to the wall will she?

I've had my own run-ins and I'm VERY happy that I didn't give in. Even though I got grief for it. She started to like skiing, too!

It does help to be at least an equal contributor to the family income.
latest report
halfhand, I just remind wifey that many men my age have a mid-life crisis involving younger women.

I then tell her snowboarding is my mid-life crisis and if she puts a stop to that, I might have to find my fun elsewhere Toofy Grin
latest report
Stop being a loser.

Just tell her straight.

Listen up, flower. We're going for a slide.
snow report
halfhand, very difficult...

But do you really want to celebrate 25 years with someone who won't let you ski?

What about late season in Sierra Nevada in Spain and see if you can get a few beach days too?
snow conditions
halfhand, put your foot down man. That is why I am scared of commitment!
latest report
halfhand, Could you work some extra hours or do some seasonal work to save up for your trip and make some extra to her somewhere extra special for the beach trip - maybe a Sandals resort or something similar.
ski holidays
You could always whore yourself out-high class rent boy. A couple hours and you could pay for some skiing...
snow report
My wife knows that skiing is the highlight of my year and that I look forward to it all year. Does she really know (have you actually said to her) that this is so for you? She may not realize how much it means to you. Does she really understand that no other kind of holiday can be a substitute?

On the other hand, is there any summer activity which could be a partial substitute? Learning to sky dive? Canyoning? Climbing? Waterskiing? Grass-skiing? Pot-holing? Something you could work into a summer holiday some of the time she is on the beach? Perhaps combined with a long wee-end of skiing?

Or a compromise Easter holiday in Andalusia where you can see the ski slopes of the Sierre Nevada from Granada and from some of the beaches? Or similarly Venice and the Dolomites?

The solution of earning or saving enough money to do both has been mentioned before. Is it really not possible?

When I went back to skiing my wife was 33 and had had a weak left leg all her life from polio, so she decided not to start. However she has accepted, for the last 25 years, that I go away for 3 weeks each year (while she is working) and I accept that it would be unreasonable to ask for more.
snow report
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. This is a difficult, indeed tragic case. Clearly, for Mr HH, skiing is by far his favourite sort of holiday. It seems that this is not the case for Mrs HH and it seems they do not have the time and/or money to go for unlimited holidays each year. So hard choices need to be made. Before reaching a verdict on what kind of holiday (s) they should have in 2009, their Silver Wedding year, you will be looking for answers to the following critical questions:

a. What kind of holiday is Mrs HH's favourite?

b. Do this couple always go on holiday together?

c. Assuming that a holiday as a couple is essential in the Silver Wedding year, could the basic holiday incompatibility be dealt with in future by each doing their own thing, with a friend of the same sex....

d. What proportion of the HH's past holidays have been his favourites, as opposed to her favourites? (ie have past holiday decisions been fairly balanced between them?)

e. Is there a significant difference in the spend on different holidays (ie has each of them had a fair crack of the holiday money whip?)

f. Does Mr HH have any expensive tastes (e.g. in cars, gadgets, fags or booze) not shared by Mrs HH?

g. Does Mrs HH have any expensive tastes (eg in new kitchens, cars, clothes, fags or booze) not shared by Mr HH?

Even with answers to these questions, however, you must bear in mind, ladies and gentlemen of the jury that by nature of your selection you will find it difficult to be impartial. You are, after all, Snowheads. I must ask you to set aside your own prejudices here; I can only ask you to be as fair as possible.
latest report
halfhand, Do what the other half wants or you will be eternally reminded about how you ruined her wedding aniversary and you will not be together for the next significant event! Very Happy
latest report
Ordhan wrote:
halfhand, Do what the other half wants or you will be eternally reminded about how you ruined her wedding aniversary and you will not be together for the next significant event! Very Happy

Doesn't that work both ways Toofy Grin

I have many sympathies as my other half uses many underhand arguments from:

1. it is selfish to take a week's leave and not spend time with children
2. it is selfish to spend money on a wek's skiing when the family aren't going

Fundamentally I accept it is selfish. I am prepared to compromise by arranging a second family ski holiday Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-07-08 11:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
When the child grew up we stopped going away as a family, and holidays changed in my house. My wife liked lying in the sun on holiday, I didn't. Solution, she went away with our daughter(if we paid), my mother or a friend, I then went on a golfing holiday. Occasionally we went somewhere like Egypt where I played golf in the morning leaving her at the hotel pool and we then spent the rest of the day together. This worked well for years.

If money and time is not the problem, I am at a loss to suggest a solution other than some give and take on both sides. My wife and I were incompatible as far as holidays were concerned but we compromised and it worked well. Everything else we did together.

Hope you sort it out.
snow report
dan100 wrote:
I am prepared to compromise by arranging a second family ski holiday
Very Happy

halfhand, it sounds from your name as though you are used to either compromises or having bits bitten off when you get it wrong! Skullie
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Even with answers to these questions, however, you must bear in mind, ladies and gentlemen of the jury that....

...the woman is always right.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Doesn't that work both ways

You are obviously single! Or have a partner that thought was a long extinct creature a reasonable woman!
snow report
dan100, I didn't realise you were married to my mother!!! Laughing
latest report
so many couples have incompatible holiday ideals. I know lots of sailors - mostly men whose wives don't like it. They either go, and moan like hell, or stay at home and do something they enjoy. I also know one woman whose husband doesn't sail and she sails a damn great boat single handed all over the place whilst he gardens. I enjoy sailing and have done some sailing courses on my own, and some ski courses (during a time when hubby had a knee problem and couldn't ski). Fortunately my husband doesn't like lying on a beach either, but if he did he could go on his own. Or if he wanted to play golf. A change is as good as a rest; if you're together the other 50 or 51 weeks of the year, where's the problem with a separate holiday? Some people want it both ways - they DO want to go on holiday together but they DO want to do exactly what they want. That's just plain unreasonable.
snow conditions
I go an a week's cycling holiday with my brother every year (and our dad comes along in the back-up car, and helps us with the drinking). We had been using up too much of our joint family holidays disappearing on bikes into the French countryside.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy