Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling the Great snowHead Sages.........

Poster: A snowHead
Next Monday (20th Dec) I am to do an 8 minute presentation to a company that I am seeking employment with. No aids other than prompt cards are allowed. The presentation is not to be about ones self, work, holidays or travel.

I've heard on the grapevine that the board directors are keen skiers, so am going to give a presentation on skiing, it's history, new technologies, the UK industry and perhaps some info on various qualifications. It only needs to be an 8 minute talk, and I've no problem with gassing away for that long. Will get a mention of snowHeads in too!

What the great snowHeads sages might be able to help with, is pointing me in the direction of some good websites that contain historical information and info on ski technology advances. The remainder I'll take a stab at, but any help would be most appreciated.

An odd request, granted, but if snowHeads can't help, no-one can. Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guy called Seth runs a skiing history forum here:

http://www.skiinghistory.org/forums/index.php

Which is linked to an excellent history site here:

http://www.skiinghistory.org/

Lots of interesting stuff, articles, photos, discussions....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus there are some fascinating articles by Norwegian Ingrid Christophersen on the snowRacers website....

(under "history", unsurprisingly.... wink )

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 14-12-04 14:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
.... but hopefully you'll actually get some advice from Great snowHead Sages before too long ......... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm no sage but Google got 2,650,000 hits for 'skiing history'. The top ranked looks very promising http://www.skiinghistory.org/ Look under Resources on the RHS of the home page for a time line, and letters and diaries of the great Arnold Lunn.
Hope it helps, Mark
Good luck with the presentation.

<<< Edit - beat me to it PG. Same site. Bit American in parts but from the little I viewed probably the best 'one-stop-shopping' for Mark >>>
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ask David Goldsmith.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That won't help, Mark needs ski history, not historical skiers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your Excellency, I've PMed Mark on this. I've just noticed that he can't use visual aids, which I find tremendously useful to avoid drying up!

I wonder if he'd be allowed to get around that by dressing as a Viking huntsman and hand-carving some wooden skis from any timber objects in the office? I mean, that's a lot harder than a Powerpoint (Powderpoint?) presentation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, I remember the presentation you did a couple of years back. Very good. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really loved the article that David G linked to on the Bro powder ski (http://powdermag.com/Columns/keane_120804/)- "the first ski ever conceived online by a group of people who met online, run a business online, sell the ski online, and chronicled the entire process online during that six month period, from Mt Hood to Argentina to Tahoe."

Makes a good case study of the use of the newest technologies.

I have also found the SCGB MO saga makes an excellent case study of what happens when a traditional organisational bumps up against an Internet community. Used it a couple of times...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, Laughing and thanks for the link - very useful indeed.

David Goldsmith, many thanks to you also for some excellent links. The Viking huntsman thing might well get the attention away from the other candidates, but it's the "Psyco" metric test that'll probably catch me out! Madeye-Smiley

Right, must get the head down and get some coherency and substance to the project.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you checked? Perhaps some of the illustrious board members are snowheads!!!! Good luck with the interview and if any of the "Directors" are listening, look at his cyber old school tie!!! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter,

I don't know much, if anything, about the history of skiing but I've given hundreds of presentations in my time. Please don't take offence if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs but here's a few tips:

For this type of presentation follow the three stage rule of:
1. Tell them what you're going to tell them (intro/content & offering to take questions at the end to avoid interruptions).
2. Tell them (the body/message of the presentation)
3. Tell them what you've told them (summary)

Don't forget a 'power' opener (to gain attention) & a 'power' close (so you remain memorable). This could be a bold statement/question etc or the use of humour.

Rehearse, rehearse & rehearse to ensure that you're bang on your allotted time, remembering that you're likely to speed up a bit when under pressure. Rehearse to your friends/family for constructive feedback & to ensure that any humour used is actually funny. Get your dummy audience to ask questions so that you're well prepared.

Use postcard sized prompt cards for ease of reading & put them on a cord or key ring as it's a real pain when you drop them & get them mixed up.

Stand square on to your audience & ensure plenty of eye contact with all of them. Hold onto your prompt cards with both hands so that both of your hands are occupied & that any nerves don't show.

Find out how many people you're presenting to and give a copy of your presentation to each of them at the end.

Hope this helps. Good luck snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best of luck Mark - I'll be thinking of you (from Val D... of course! NehNeh )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, have you been on a Results International course ?
snow conditions
spyderjon, that's a formidable set of tips. Whether or not you can confirm Paul Mason's query, you obviously didn't train with George W. Bush.
latest report
spyderjon, nice one, thanks. A very timely reminder.

Michelle, grrrrrrrr wink Hope there's plenty of snow for you, or it really will be Val D'espair Shocked Have a good trip Smile
latest report
Paul Mason,

No but the basics of successful presenting are really always the same. The various business 'gurus' have then tweaked them & added their own name/branding so that they can sell their systems for super high fees.

I finished a BA(Hons) in Business Studies in the summer & did papers on presentation skills and body language as part of the 'Communication in Business' module. If anyone's interested (sad I know), I found that the best books on presenting are:

Powerful Presentations by Ehrenborg & Mattock
Seven Secrets of Successful Presenters Business Life by B.Johnson

and on body language are:

Silent Messages by A.Mehrabian
Body Language by A.Pease

Interestingly, the basis presentation format of 'tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them & tell them what you've told them' has been used on News At Ten & every other TV & Radio news programme for donkey's years.
latest report
Mark Hunter,

Good opening line

"Skiing is like sex, (pause) you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it!"

Good Luck
latest report
spyderjon is right on the money. Here are some more tips:

Move to centre stage.

Make eye contact with the audience, holding a prolonged pause before you start.

Start with a question.

These all combine to draw your audience's attention and focus.

DON'T read out a script verbatim.

DO maintain eye contact at all times: try to make everyone think that you're talking to them personally.

DON'T wave your hands about too much.

DO make an effort to speak clearly and slowly: when you're nervous, it's easy to talk too fast.
ski holidays
Thanks Acacia. I've done a fair few presentations, including one to an NHS Trust in a teaching auditorium in a hospital, up on stage, which was "interesting". Won the business on that one, so no problem with doing it, just getting good content that's to the point, interesting, in part amusing, and informative.
latest report
Mark Hunter,

a possible closing line - "skiing, the best fun you can have with your clothes on!"
latest report
Mark Hunter,

In 8 minutes...!!! Once you get started you will never stop. One of those subjects would cover that if you used to speaking.
I'm not but I think I could engage a group easily enough for that time.

If they are keen skiers I would go for ski technology as it would be the easiest and more interesting for me. They might get tips about what to ski this year, which if you have seen the boards lately shows that there is a huge choice. I would go technology and technique, they may be so impressed they employ you and insist you show them a good time on a company sponsored ski trip....Hurrah..!!

Seriously, 8 minutes on history would work well because it would not be the easist and most obvious brief. It's not so much what to include it's what to leave out. I think you will walk the presentation. Good luck with the interview.
latest report
Mark Hunter,

Good luck - could you post your presentation for our enjoyment? And let us know if you were successful.

The strong ending is really important - make it positive and memorable, It doesn't have to be funny - you can crack the joke on your way out.
latest report
Mark Hunter, good luck for Monday. My thoughts are that 8 mins is no time at all. As you say some on the Board may be keen skiers, yet others may not, so very important to choose an aspect of skiing that is all inclusive.

So rather than history or technology etc., why not talk about why we ski. The stress relief, the camaradarie, the anticipation of a new challenge every day, a sport for all regardless of ability, age etc. etc.

Why not start with:-

"Imagine spending a week when you can eat and drink to excess every night and yet comeback fitter than when you left!!!!!!!!"
latest report
Ken Lingwood,

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Well the first draught is running at 11 minutes. Have covered a brief (ish!) history - pre, early/modern and a bit about today's skis and their heritage, a bit about the ski industry - who, where, how much spent, accommodation, shortbreaks and then the future/summary. Quite surprised how quickly the 8 minutes is going by and how little, seemingly, there is in terms of content!

Starting line is ' "A bad days skiing is better than a good day at the office" I wonder how long after Sondra Norheim invented telemark skis did that well known phrase come into being....'

Thanks for all the well wishes and good luck messages.
snow conditions
Darksiders need lovin' too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark Hunter, Minor Point: Its Sondre (not Sondra! ) Norheim.
P.S Good Luck snowHead
latest report
You will find all you need to know here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3850&sid=5585317ed1de37233222a2ad98e572e7
latest report
Mark Hunter, please excuse me if this is ancient history, but how did it go and did you get the job?
latest report
Thanks for asking Ken Lingwood. The presentation went really well, so thanks for all the advice/assistance. As for the job - pipped at the post by someone the company had seen a year before who entered the fray at the last minute. Such is life!

By coincidence, one of the other candidates presented on avalanche survival!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy