Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
I assumed it would be further than the Tarentaise, but in actual fact (on Google) it is shorter...Any tips for getting there for a Saturday morning, routes, overnight stop, times etc...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martski, From Wales your best bet would be to stop around Reims (plenty of cheap motels just to the north), and then straight on down the next day. It takes me 4 hours and is exactly 200 miles from Bath to Dover, to give you an idea. In the car it used to take me 10 hours (with stops) from Calais/Boulogne/Dunkerque to LDA which would be the same for ADH. In the van it takes about 11.5. It's motorway virtually all the way to past Grenoble and then the road is good to Bourg d'Oisans. It's only the 21 hairpins up to ADH itself which gets steep. It's fairly wide and not too alarming though for a mountain road. In the van the tolls cost about €80, a bit less in the car - well worth it though. Service stations are frequent and pretty good.
Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martski, we stop around Reims on our way from the North-East, but usually choose to get away from the cheap motels, and either stay in Reims centre or Chalons-en-Champagne, where there are a choice of bars and restaurants,and some nice family-run hotels. It makes the journey part of your holiday. Lots of links and suggestions on http://serrechevalierapartment.co.uk/getting-there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Helen Beaumont, thanks, very helpful. Will probably head down fast on the way but on the way back I fancy a leisurely 'potter' back, the Champagne House looks like a must!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
martski, as I have kids I leave when they leave school and end up in Reims at around midnight. We use the Tiptop hotel in (Tianqueux?) on the motorway. Then up and out by 8 and we arrive in Oz (just round the corner from ADH) at about 3pm. Its motorway most of the way but I really suggest an early start on teh Sat morning to avaoid the traffic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
martski,

Shorter by mileage? I'd be surprised...but anyway, you'll make good time until you hit Macon ( getting closer to 8 hours ) and beyond..then the journey will stretch out in terms of time. You think you have broken the back of things but Lyon and Grenoble just can't come quick enough. From Grenoble, you still have around 90 mins to get to ADH.

I like driving to the alpes in general but I don't look forward to trips south of Macon. It should be worth it once you get there though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, If you take the new motorway via Dole and close to Besancon you miss Macon altogether. It's slightly further I think, but quieter and you miss the Lyon ring road altogether. Still seems a long way from Dijon though. Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

The Chicken run Laughing is a fave of ours for the Northern resorts and Geneva...hadn't thought about it for the south tho'

After doing Chamonix in just over 6 hours, anything beyond 8-9 really gets to me. Even hated the final leg through to La Plagne.......Albertville, Moutier and then Aime..and still the switch-backs... Sad .. Compounded by the thought that you should nearly be there... and getting excited, and it is still taking ages

Good to see you. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Yeah. Actually the new link is about 2 years old now, but is still less busy than the Macon/Lyon bit. I agree - I nearly got home in one, but then I hit a huge storm just south of Macon, north of Lyon and got a bit disoriented, thought discretion etc. and stopped for the night - very comfy in the van. Very Happy Very Happy Really good to see you too. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
JT, If you take the new motorway via Dole and close to Besancon you miss Macon altogether. It's slightly further I think, but quieter and you miss the Lyon ring road altogether. Still seems a long way from Dijon though. Sad

We always use this road now. As for distance according to our Sat Nav there is only 5km difference.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last time we did the drive to Oz we left our overnight stop in Chalons en champagne at about 7am - got to resort around 2pm despite a long wait at one of the peages and a detour around Grenoble. That was Feb half term so we reckoned it was a good run. The route via Dole/Bourg gets our vote too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't live that far away from you and wouldn't fancy the drive. A friend said it took him about 17 hours door to door to get to ADH. He was from just outside cwmbran. where are you driving from
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would have thought it to be similar driving times that I do to Serre Chevalier from the North East, in fact probably a little less. I wouldn't do it at all without an overnight stop. We drive to Eurotunnel, then on to Reims, total 7.5 hours driving. Second day Reims to SC about 7.5 hours again. We do have a reasonable lunch stop on the second day, and take our time. As long as we arrive in resort for about 4-5pm . Thanks to anextra overnight stop in Beaune this time, we will have to brave the Lyon ringroad again rather than the Dole/Bourg detour, but we will go back that way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drive to the Alps.

When you get to the fork in the road, turn right and go to Les 2 Alpes, instead.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dan100, about half an hour closer than Cwmbran (which would make all the difference!), would probably leave very early, get a morning train and drive to about 5-6 pm and then stay in a nice hotel (with young kids so dont want to long in the car) and then set off the next day and see what time we get there.

Is Grenoble and onwards on a Saturday as bad as the Tarentaise valley?
ski holidays
martski, The main difference will be that the N90 is dual carriageway up to Moutiers with several passing places after that. The road between Grenoble and Bourg d'Oisans is single carriageway.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
martski, The main difference will be that the N90 is dual carriageway up to Moutiers with several passing places after that. The road between Grenoble and Bourg d'Oisans is single carriageway.

Several villages have been bypassed recently though and including Bourg D'Oisans which has speeded things up, and new sections have passing places. I have certainly never seen anywhere near the volume of traffic that you get in the Tarentais.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy