Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski & Board Camp Tignes 08 (Mountain Sun Deal) - October group

Poster: A snowHead
We are HOPING to get the website live late this afternoon. Once that's done I'm ready - we'll send out a mail to our mailing list as soon as it's live... I'm trying to clear my desk this afternoon in preparation to spend the next three months on the phone! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Joanne Mountainsun, Yay!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay then! Joanne's let us know that everything's ready to go! Visit the site here.

I'll contact Joanne about this too (or she could reply here Little Angel ), but if you're booking either a room to yourself, or you are wanting to share with someone you know (other half perhaps) then go ahead and book it. Anyone with more interesting requirements (sharing with other snowHead for example), just hold off for a day or two whilst I confirm the best route to do this (whether you can all book individually and then group up I don't know as of yet).

Remember, the main dates for this group are: arrive 21st October, depart 24th October (either to PSB, back home or whatever else you may have planned).

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mogs, as holidayloverxx said essentially. This thread (with the other) is just to make sure we're all singing off the same hymn sheet and allows people to team up as appropriate. The other one (with the more formulaic questions) means that anything like lessons can be arranged so that most people can get the most out of it (be it group or private).

As per the above, the site is online and you can book away to your heart's content. I believe (don't hold me to it though), that the chalet does have a triple room, so that along with a double/twin should be just right for your little gang. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to let you know that the website is now live and the Ski and Board Camp 2008 is now on sale. My phone is pretty hot at the moment...so if you can't get through leave me a message and I promise to get back to you. You can also email me - addresses on website.

Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bristol flights do not fit in with the transfers. Arriving mid dayish is no problem as we don't mind waiting but the flight home at 13.00 seems to be a show stopper Sad Where is everyone else flying from where flights home are in the evening?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luton have an evening flight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mogs, you could go with BA from Heathrow, they have got lots of choice including one going back at 9.00pm. £62 each way I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. Unfortunately that's more than 3 times the cost of flying from Bristol. Add the extra cost of airport travel and it's a considerable amount. We are toying with the idea of stopping overnight in Geneva and flying home the following morning now. I just hope it doesn't fall through. I am really looking forward to it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mogs, Is Birmingham a possibility?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mogs,
Quote:

Thanks. Unfortunately that's more than 3 times the cost of flying from Bristol.

Is it? Is it Easyjet flights you're looking at? When I had a look at flying with Easyjet from Bristol last night it was £78 return, without ski carriage that is. So if you did happen to take your skis (for those that do) then the Easyjet price would be nearly the BA price anyway, well, £111 anyway. If you have found a flight from Bristol for less than £40 return then who is it with?

I've just booked up the room for 21st-24th with Joanne, not going on to the PSB though, I'm just having a look at flights. Mogs you'll be looking at the same airports as me so I'll let you know my findings. Joanne said transfer on the Tues 21st will leave Geneva around 5.30pm or 7.30pm, and on the way back on Fri 24th it will leave Tignes in time for flights 9.00pm ish. See the website for details anyhow.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 21-05-08 14:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is a possible solution for those of you who would like to fly from Bristol airport if possible:-

Easyjet £61.98 Return (1 hold bag,no ski carriage)

Tuesday 21 October
Bristol to Geneva
flight 6155; dep. Tue 21 Oct 13:15
arr. Tue 21 Oct 15:50

Saturday 25 October
Geneva to Bristol
flight 6156; dep. Sat 25 Oct 16:10
arr. Sat 25 Oct 16:50

It would mean getting the Mountain Sun transfers both ways, not much of a wait on the way out but on the way back a room would be needed for the Friday night once you've been taken back to Geneva airport, and a bit of a wait until the flight departs on the Saturday afternoon. According to the Mountain Sun website you can get a room in Geneva (Formule1) for 33 Euros plus the taxi of 15 Euros. If there are more than one of you in the room/taxi it might work out quite cheap that way but not so much so for individual travellers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right I think that's me sorted re flights now! Have found one from London Luton, which turns out is nearer to me than Gatwick is and only 14 miles further than Heathrow is and a lot cheaper than the BA flight for £120 ish return from Heathrow. This one is £51.98 return (not including ski carriage mind) and one hold bag.

Tuesday 21 October London Luton to Geneva
flight 2055; dep. Tue 21 Oct 13:45
arr. Tue 21 Oct 16:30

Friday 24 October Geneva to London Luton
flight 2058; dep. Fri 24 Oct 21:55
arr. Fri 24 Oct 22:40

Fits in a treat with the MS transfers and only £51.98 return too.

My questions are:

1)Is anyone else considering going from London Luton or any other London airports? vetski, are you? It would be good if some of us are on the same flight.
2)Is anyone going to take their skis? I wasn't going to because it appears there will be plenty of skis to use while we are there, but wanted to hear what other people's plans are re this.
3)Has anybody found a better flight option than the one from Luton above?

I figured that although the stopping over in Geneva idea is plausible re my post above, any savings I would make would probably get used up in the room and taxi prices and paying for food and drink etc, especially if there was a few of us there. wink

skisimon, is Luton any good for you?

Anyway, let me know what other flight options you might find that would be any good.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, That Luton return is the one I used last year (and hope to this year), works well with the transfer timing. Last year there seemed to be plenty of skis, I'm not taking mine this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, yes, I think I'll get on and book it as there doesn't seem to be a cheaper alternative.

No, I'm not going to bother taking my skis, I won't end up using them and have to lug them everywhere for nothing. Especially now I've seen from the MS site that they will have Scott skis there to test! Very Happy

Are you going on the October and the December trips? Good to see so many snowHead have shown an interest in the Dec trip, will be good to meet you as I'll be in Tignes anyway that week as I mentioned previously. Very Happy
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I think I'm just doing December, I'm planning a trip to South Africa in the Autumn (all being well Shocked ). Look forward to seeign you in Dec.
snow report
holidayloverxx, ooh splendid. Yes will be good to meet up with so many Snowheads before we get to the main bashes next year. I will be at Michelle's BBQ as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 21-05-08 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, might have to miss the BBQ as it clashes with a long-standing BBQ that I got to every year. It's not far to Michelles though so might drop in on th eway.
ski holidays
Yay, I have paid Joanne now and have booked my Easyjet flight from London Luton! A bit further than Bristol or Birmingham mind you but the timings are perfect for the transfers without hanging around half the day. Cost was £53.73 return including 1 hold bag and debit card fee, can't get better than that and it's £70 cheaper than the BA offering from Heathrow. Will have enough money left over now for a Travel Inn on the way home if I'm knackered! Just to be on the safe side. Very Happy

Now is anyone else going to book up the Luton flight as well? Will be nice if a few others are on the plane too!

Considering last night I decided not to go on this trip and use the money towards some new boots instead I'm not doing very well am I? Laughing Saying that, £220 all in for everything inc own ensuite room with balcony, food, lift pass and good company guaranteed is pretty damn good for 3 days skiing in Tignes! Just have to find lunch and beer money now.

I hope lots of people book up on this now.

snowHead
latest report
holidayloverxx, that's a shame if you can't make the BBQ.
snow report
Travelodge have just released a load of £19 rooms, so those having to possibly travel to Luton to get a cheap flight, could take advantage of the rooms at this price, I don't know how long they are kept at this price for though.
snow report
pippivixen, ooh ta! I will probably need a room for the way home to be safe driving back as the flight gets in to Luton at 22.40, bit late driving back by time I've got my luggage etc after skiing all day! Where did you get this info?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I use them a lot, so get the e-mails come through, this link will take you straight to the right page. http://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_rooms/. If you are keen to save the pennies (who isn't these days!) book the room through www.quidco.co.uk and you will earn yourself a 3.6% cash back. I will be using one of the Luton ones after my flight back as well (Luton, Sawston or Baldock) as I almost nodded off driving home in April Shocked
latest report
pippivixen, cheers, have found it already from doing a search. The one in Toddington next to Moto Services on M1 Southbound should be ok and is only £19, the Luton one is £29 apparently, although I will have to turn around to get to it on the way back up the M1 if that makes sense. Do you happen to know if the Moto Services is on a roundabout and therefore I won't have to go up a junction to get to the side the Travelodge is on?

Are you going in October then?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Sorry, I am not familar with that one Puzzled I am going in December, 8th-11th. Taking my 12yr old Daughter with me, I will be telling the school it is a Geographical trip to learn all about Glaciers. Laughing if my Daughter had her way, she would stay in a Travelodge the night before as well as after, but that will be my drinking money we will be spending then !.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, there shoudl be a map on the travel lodge site which shows access routes. I pass that one every week but for the life of me can't think what it's like.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, thanks, I've had a look on there but from the looks of it I think it is on the side of the road rather than on a roundabout. Oh well, I think I should be able to get back on the right side of the M1 at J12 so not a lot of hardship considering it's only £19! Even with that included the flight and room is less than £73, that's £50 less than the BA flight and not a lot of distance in it to go from Luton instead. Happy with that!

pippivixen, I know what you mean about driving back with eyes drooping-it's very dodgy and much safer to get your head down in a Travelodge and drive back the next day. I don't need a room on the Tuesday as it's an early afternoon flight.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, it will be in the services on the motorway. it will take about 10 mins to get back to jnc 12
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, yeah its says it's next to the Moto Services. 10 minutes is not too long to go up and back down again. I will book that one, it's a tenner cheaper than the one at Luton anyhow.
ski holidays
Well that's alright, have booked a room and for £23.05 got the room and a "light start breakfast" as well. Very good that, thanks for mentioning it pippivixen. I did it through quidco but haven't got any earnings as yet? Does it take a while to show up? I see you can get cash back for Eurostar and lots of other useful travel companies so that's handy to know about them, thanks.

A brilliant idea for anyone flying back to Luton who wants to stop off before driving home the next day.

Has anyone else sorted out their flights and rooms with Joanne yet and if so where are you flying from?
ski holidays
My group of 5 are all sorted now. Rooms booked. Flying in from Bristol on the Tuesday. Flying home on the Saturday so get the full day Friday skiing and Saturday until early afternoon in Geneva
snow report
Mogs, great. I've got the Friday all day skiing too and Joanne did say that there will be somewhere where we can get changed before the transfer back to Geneva which makes things easier.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I have always found the Travelodge ones show after about 2 days, you can always send an enquiry ticket if in any doubt. I have booked my parking with Purple Parking through Quidco, 4 days cost me £18 and I am getting £7.50 cash back. Very Happy I love that site. Laughing
snow report
pippivixen, great. I've not booked my parking yet, I normally do the 15% off through being a Ski Club member with Holiday Extras. I will have to see way works out best. Definitely worthwhile booking Rail Europe/Eurostar tickets through Quidco though.
latest report
Has anyone had any more thoughts on this? October is not really that far away and the December group has got lots of activity on their thread. I see another forum J2Ski has got the Mountain Sun trip going as well so should see some people from theirs in Tignes too. Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, yes, our group is not super active, is it??????????? Feels a bit summery at the moment. I suppose the key requirement, though not urgent, is to identify who wants what sort of lessons. I think skisimon had earlier volunteered to organise this?
snow report
pam w, yes I thought that too. I won't be having lessons but I'm hoping Stewart is going to find me some gates. wink

Thing is I'm just glad I've already booked up because it appears this Mountain Sun thing is very popular and I wouldn't have wanted to leave it until nearer the time and find I couldn't get in or get the right room set up etc.

Tis true pam w we haven't heard from skisimon in yonks....I wonder if he has abandoned ship? wink Holidayloverxx seems to be doing a sterling job over on the December channel. I will be in Tignes for both by chance (although on courses) so it will be good to meet up with some other Snowheads both in October and December.
ski holidays
I think skisimon has been sailing. Very sensible, too.
snow conditions
pam w, that's true. Lovely couple of weeks of sunning. Then I got home and went straight off for a week in the Lake District, where I was well and truly drenched. To be honest, I think I deserved it - some sort of karma, equalling everything out.

Anyway, I'm back now. I'll drop Stewart a PM and find out what we can do, perhaps a two hour mid-morning session each day, and then fit things into those six hours? (Perhaps throwing in a lunchtime session too?)

Whoever wants the instruction, say aye. Including how many sessions you want, approx level and anything you want a special 'clinic' for. (Also state if you're happy for a snowHeads group lesson or if you want to flop around in private).
ski holidays
skisimon, hello there. I don't want lessons as such but I did ask Stewart a couple of months ago if he could find me some gates to run. He said that might be a possibility. Might be some other Snowheads that fancy some gates practice too perhaps.

Have you booked your accomodation with Joanne yet and your flights etc?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy