Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski & Board Camp Tignes 08 (Mountain Sun Deal) - October group

Poster: A snowHead
Two of us are definately up for lessons. Will be happy to go with two hour sessions every day. The others are asking for costs. Any ideas yet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, it's unlikely that I'll be going now. A combination of saving up for my season in Whistler and a fortnight in Colorado on a rugby referee exchange is taking up all my spare pennies. Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, somehow I knew you were not going after all! Ah well at least you have Whistler to look forward to. Are you teaching skiing out there or what?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hubby and I would both like lessons on each of our three days. Happy to do privates or small group, whatever fits.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, that's the plan, teaching/instructing, hopefully combined with a bit of coaching.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any more information on lessons? And anyone else interested in joining us?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mogs, I'm not having lessons.

For those of you who do want lessons, perhaps your best bet might be to PM Stewart Woodward and tell him how many of you are interested in lessons, as I think there was talk of him doing some teaching that week at one stage. I don't know if this is still the case though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mogs, we're interested in joining up for lessons. 2 elderly (just a tad over 60....) skiers, one more confident and gung ho than the other, both moderately competent but neither very adventurous. We have skied much of the last five seasons, as we have an apartment, but somehow that has not turned us into blinding skiers.... Two hour sessions each day sounds just right to me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did send a PM to Stewart after my last post asking if he could either forward me the deatails of what he can do, or just to pop in here to discuss things. I would suggest PMing him if you want some lessons as I've had no response. As such, I shall now bow out and wish you all a great few days skiing in October. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, are you going to take your board in October? I might test a board while I'm there, I'm hoping I'll be up and running by then. Cor it's hard, but then again I suppose skiing was hard one day too. Still is in some respects. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

are you going to take your board in October

no, probably not, we plan to focus on skiing and lessons, and trying some skis. Conditions in October in Tignes are not likely to provide me with the kind of conditions needed to tempt me out on a board. ie soft, fluffy snow. Not too deep, not too hard. Empty slopes. Entire chairlifts to myself. Laughing If you're thinking there are not too many days like that in a season you are absolutely right. That's why I'm still useless.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I've not been to Tignes (or any other resort) in October before. Is it hard and icy then? Mostly?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi All
I have sent a PM to Stewart Woodward. I'll let you know his thoughts when I get a reply.

pam w, We are a mixed bunch, youngest is in his twenties oldest is 58. We have been skiing together for the last four years, none of us are brilliant but all get on and enjoy it.

VolklAttivaS5, We have a boarder coming with us for the first time. He may have a ski lesson but is a good boarder so he might want company
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, no idea, really. I've not skied in October - apart from winter skiing, only in July on the glacier at LDA. I guess conditions could vary a lot, but hard and icy is quite likely - first thing in the morning, maybe slushier later. Or maybe fresh snow, but still very limited area and probably crowded. And T bars? Not my cup of tea for boarding, anyway. I've skied on the Grand Motte in winter a couple of times - one time in early December when the snow lower down wasn't great. Was super up on the glacier, but that's really winter skiing in December. I guess that, as ever, conditions are in the lap of the gods. That's why I thought lessons were definitely the way to go.

Mogs, thanks for that. Looking forward to seeing what Stewart has to say. How many in your group?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mogs, oooh. I'm in my late twenties myself. Good that you have a boarder. Hopefully I'll be a good enough standard by then to take my boots and test one of the boards from the Ski & Board Camp. It'll make a change from skiing anyway.

pam w, thanks.
ski holidays
pam w, There are five of us. All guys but all quite sociable and civilized (most of the time Twisted Evil ) At the moment only three are looking to do the lessons. Keen to improve technique rather than anything extreme

I haven't heard from Stewart yet. Anyone else know how to contact him? Email address maybe??
latest report
Mogs, don't worry about Stewart taking a while to get back to you. He might not have seen your PM, last time I PM'd him about a month ago he said he wasn't logging to Snowheads very often at the moment, he is very busy and trying to play as much golf as possible. I'm sure he will get back to you, but don't worry if it's not for a while. If it gets to September and you've not heard back then it's time to worry.
snow report
Mogs, if you do want to try an email address instead then at the bottom of Stewart's signature is this one

tigneskiing@fsmail.net

You could try that if you want.
ski holidays
Quote:

Keen to improve technique rather than anything extreme

Mogs, same here. We don't do extreme! Pole planting, revision of basic stance, that sort of thing. One thing I'd like to learn is how to do those little jump turns. Plant your pole, get a little air, swivel round the pole, change edges in mid air, land going the other way. You know the sort of thing. I've tried, on my own; feel like a clumsy giraffe.
latest report
Hi All
I have had a reply from Stewart and he is definitely up for organising some lessons. He will keep a watch on this thread to firm up on or requirements. I have mentioned there are three in my group happy to do 2 hours per day. No specific requirements except improving stance, turns etc but will go along with anything. Enjoy a laugh too. I mentioned that you might link up in a group Pam. I'll leave it to you to confirm that here if that's ok?

Anyone else can you put your requirements here for Stewart to pick up on

Cheers
ski holidays
Mogs, thanks very much. That sounds great, and I can confirm that we'd definitely like to link up. We are completely flexible about times and everything else, and Stewart will obviously be the best judge of who can best do what, and when and where. Some focussed lessons are a key objective for us on this trip, so I'll be happy to pay for separate and/or additional sessions if Stewart can fit them in. But I do enjoy small group lessons so if we all have similar standards and objectives that would be perfect. But we wouldn't want to hold anybody up if needs/abilities are too different.
snow conditions
Mogs, postscript, and completely irrelevant really, both of us went to Swansea Uni, in fact that was where we met. I was there for 5 years.
ski holidays
pam w, 5 years and then you left? That's unusual! We have a reputation in Swansea for the highest number of students taking up residence after completing their studies. I hope you have some fond memories of the place
snow report
Quote:

I hope you have some fond memories of the place

Yes, loads. I had always holidayed in Swansea (two aunts living in Llangyfelach, used to get the N & C bus from Cardiff to Morriston, and if it was nice weather, day trips to Caswell on the bus, once I was old enough. Nobody had a car. Probably unheard of today, allowing an 11year old to take a 9 year old on the bus to the beach!) so it had always been associated for me with good times, before I went to Uni there.
snow conditions
pam w, Llangyfelach is around a mile from where I live. I love Caswell, better when the weather is not so good and there are less people around. I also spend a lot of time in Langland. I think things are changing with the dredging off the coast. There definitely seems to be less sand and more rocks every year but the experts tell us this is not the case
ski holidays
Mogs, I'm sure the experts are right. There's the same amount of sand, it's just moved. wink
ski holidays
Right that's my parking sorted for Luton Tues-Fri! Booked it through Holiday Extras using the 15% Ski Club Member discount. Did Meet & Greet (well on the way back anyway since it gets in at 22.40-I can't be bothered messing about at that time of night). I always use Holiday Extras they are great, Meet & Greet is fantastic too especially me on my own with all my kit to lug on and off buses otherwise usually. Although I won't have skis this time, I will be using the test equipment!

Hey it's not too long until October. Does anyone have any idea what time the transfers are yet on the Tuesday? My flight gets in at 16.30, perfect timing from what I've gathered, hopefully the transfer will be about 17.30 or something like that. Mogs, is your Bristol flight getting in at 15.50 on the Tuesday? We will have to look out for each other at Geneva.

I must say that the whole lot for this trip, the flights, transfers, chalet board accomodation even with the hot tub Cool own ensuite room with balcony, lift pass for whatever's open at the time, a Travelodge room including breakfast for the Friday night for me just outside Luton, plus 3 days Meet & Greet parking has only come to the princely sum of £283.66!!!!

Now I know I've got a few luxuries in there for that price and could have got it cheaper if I'd shared a room etc etc but hey, ent bad! Very Happy
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Yes that's our flight arriving at 15.50. I will pm you my mob no. if you like so we can grab a coffee somewhere at the airport
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mogs, yes PM away please Mogs! snowHead
snow conditions
Has anyone been on one of these before? Do you know how and where we pick up the kit from? And more importantly is there someone to set the bindings etc?
snow conditions
Mogs, Chalet Hotel Les Melezes does in-house ski hire throughout the season. The workshop during this period is taken over by Edge2Edge and all the test equipment and you will be fitted up in there. There will be two dedicated fitters there to advise you on kit and set you up with what you want to use.
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, Sounds Excellent. Thanks Joanne
snow report
bump
snow report
looking forward to it. Local forecast shows rain/snow limit at 2000 - 2500m tomorrow...
snow conditions
pam w, yeehaa. Yes I heard snow is forecast at 2400m or something. As I said before I've not been on the glacier before but will there be actual snow on the glacier itself or are we talking ice crystals not really snow? Basically what I'm getting at is, is the surface going to be like icy concrete like the rotten surface at the Snowdome? If it is then I shall be skiing for sure. Got a nice waterproof cast on now which makes having a wash a lot easier as it can be fully dunked no problem. Very Happy
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, Puzzled Ok what have you done to yourself? I have obviously not been keeping up with recent events.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I've no great experience of skiing on glaciers - you can certainly get a range of conditions, probably ranging between fairly grim and not too bad. I would have thought it much wiser for you to ski.......
snow report
Kitty, hiya. I will send you a PM to explain rather than waffling on here gal.
snow report
ccl, see the post at 16:02. Mountainsun is the company that runs the chalet and Joanne sorts it all out. You can email her at mail@mountainsunltd.com

You have to arrange your own flight, but if there is space on the minibus the transfer from/to Geneva is included. If you are looking for a roomie you might want to start a new thread aspecially if you are flexible on dates.
ski holidays
Ok, I think he just deleted his post while I was answering.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy