Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere to La Plagne... c'est possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Val d'Isere in a fortnight to visit 2 friends who are working there. My brother is working in La Plagne (Plagne Villages) - how easy would it be for me to visit him for a day? Is it ski-able (in either direction) or is the only option by car / public transport? Any rough ideas how long it would take??

All advice greatly appreciated... Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
caffewine, don't know but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm think that it can be skied; Evolution 2 in Tignes offer a tour from Tignes to La Plagne, so unless their idea of a ski tour is to jump on a bus, it should be possible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you watched Ski Sunday this week you could have seen both your options!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welcome to snowheads, caffewine, snowHead

The only sensible way to visit for a day is by car or bus. No big problem by car if the roads are clear. According to viamichelin.com it would take 1h20 minutes. Public transport no doubt possible, but would take longer. The roads will be easier if you avoid Saturdays. You could go across country if you hired a guide and had very strong legs and a bit more time to spare; have a look at last week's Ski Sunday (might be available on BBC I-player but I've not explored that yet)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent - thanks for the quick replies!
Unfortunately I can't boast 'very strong legs' so will probably have to settle for the car / bus option. I think my brother has Wednesdays off so would be looking to visit him then so that we will have time for a few runs followed by a few pints without him having to rush off to tend to chalet guests!
Off for a wee squizz at the i-player to see if I can catch last week's SS...
Thanks again!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
caffewine, Welcome to snowheads. snowHead
Even on ski sunday Graham Bell had to hitch a lift for the section between Tignes and Villaroger as there is no skiable route.
Plagnes village to the Valley (Aime) is about 20 mins on a dry road and then to Val takes around an hour. Easily driveable but as for public transport, I have no idea.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martski, beat me to it Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
caffewine, Welcome to snowheads. snowHead
Even on ski sunday Graham Bell had to hitch a lift for the section between Tignes and Villaroger as there is no skiable route.

It is possible to ski from Val D to Tignes then offpiste to Champagny en Vanoise & you are in the La Plagne ski system. The off piste from Tignes to CeVan requires a guide.

There is a route known as the Tarentaise Tour which goes from Tignes to Champagny en Vanoise then through the La Plagne system to the Les Arcs system and concludes in Villaroger ready for a well earned beer Blush

Graham Bell had to hitch a ride to Villaroger as he was going to ski on piste.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Caffewine,

Travel by road is your only (practical) option. Val d'Isere to Aime is about an hour. I think that Aime to Plagne Villages is longer than 20 mins but I bow to Boredsurfin's local knowledge.

Skibb
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only just noticed this.
The tour from Tignes (or Val d'Isere first) via La Plagne/ Les Arcs to Villaroger is done regularly by large numbers of people - you could certainly join it. It involves a short shared taxi ride and you'd have to go back by taxi or you'd get no time with your brother. Or why not do the whole tour for fun and visit your brother by taxi (expensive) or local buses via Bourg St Maurice.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward, snowball, when I did it (probably 2000 or 2001) you had to get a taxi from a small church after the drop into the Champagny valley to the lift station into La Plagne and then another after the drop into the Vallandry valley (pre big cable car) to get to the bucket lifts - is this still the case or did we not go the normal route?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, that is normal, though I remember the restaurant rather than the church. (And obviously a taxi back from Villaroger).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy