Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HOW TO VIDEO ? Any tips for taking interesting videos of *normal* skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips for taking interesting videos of normal skiing?

I took loads of video on the last day of skiing last week, and I'm sad to say most of it was rather boring to watch.
My group don't really do big jumps or huck cliffs, so there are no adrenaline moments to compensate with.

What did 30 mins of mostly dull video look like?
- If it was steep, it looked flat.
- If it was bumps, it looked like old codgers turning v slowly on the flat.
- If it was hand held and speeding down the runs, it looked flat and shaky.
- if it was knee deep powder, even that can look like like old codgers turning strangely slowly

WHAT WORKED? Only a few things in the whole 30 mins of video looked even vaguely interesting;
- pointing the camera back at my face while skiing, "ski-sunday" stylee, and mugging the lenses
- catching someone ski past me in profile, silhouetted on the horizon between snow and sky

Cheers!
PS - Fernie rocks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a cheap headcam as the footage is much more dynamic than regular filming, or ski with the camera rather than filming people ski past you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,
Quote:

ski with the camera

Yep, done that. Like I said, mixed results.
BAD"- If it was hand held and speeding down the runs, it looked flat and shaky. " ( that's about 20 mins of video )
GOOD "- pointing the camera back at my face while skiing, "ski-sunday" stylee, and mugging the lenses " ( 30 seconds ) & silhouetting someone on the horizon ( 15 seconds )
and going through trees and bumps looks good, but it has to be pretty tame terrain, otherwise the video goes all over the place.

Headcam, agree it's one of the options.
I've used them extensively before in other sports but don't have one at this time.

So perhaps the real question should be "What can you do to get the best ski videos out of a hand held, fixed zoom, compact video camera with a crew of strong skiers who - sadly - do not do any big air , but lots of tree-skiing, bump skiing, powder skiing and belting down pistes very fast"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think to get the impression of speed, you need to keep the camera still, ie don't follow the skier, then have them ski past the camera. It's the same filming car racing, looks very slow if you pan....

Powder seems to work ok if you ski at the video.

Here's some I & others took:

http://youtube.com/v/75dZCxHHrKc

http://youtube.com/v/fFdvQwlFDIM

and some taken by a "semi" pro...

http://youtube.com/v/NaXjVpQo7es
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awaken angry Grizzly bears, wolves etc and have them pursue party members - that shaky cam will now be an asset.

Most piste skiing is very dull to film and you need a powerful and steady zoom to capture any sustained sequence. Follow cam is very difficult to do with any degree of accuracy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do long pitches...5-6 turns are naff....

Position yourself 100mtrs down the slope...and then have the skier ski about 100 mtrs past you... that way you'll get a sense of speed.

You need people you can ski the terrain so pick good stuff..and the skiers shouldn't worry that they left out some of their best turns.... it happens...far better to capture the essence of the thing that make too many excuses.

It isn't easy to capture worthwhile footage.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When skiing with the camera hold it from the top, maybe even add a dead weight to it to minimise on shaking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TJon,Had you ever considered that you are in a group of skiers who are old codgers who ski turns slowly on fairly flat terrain. wink Don,t forget that most cameras lie, try taking that breath taking view on the mountain, what do you get? Remember also that the perception of speed and ability can be a little off, I know I ski like Bode just can't understand why people don't agree. rolling eyes Oh and the "Ski Sunday" thing, professional down hill skiers with hand held cameras are crazy people. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having seen a cameraman with a full size 35mm Cineflex on a 'SteadyCam" body harness ski backwards down a red in front of a pair of skiers who were not holding back on the speed (they were going a dam sight faster than I'd have) . . . I have a deep a reverential respect for those that can do it well. The cameraman had a spotter in front of him passing instructions on direction. It was incredible to watch. And very humbling Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I rushed out and bought a camcorder before our last ski trip. I spent ages deciding what I wanted and picked a mid-range Sony with a hard disk drive. However, it doesn't have an eye piece, you have to look at the little screen. In brilliant sunshine it's difficult to see anything. For anyone who's thinking of getting a camcorder, I would advise you get one with an eye piece.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never ever use the eye piece myself..just open up the zoom to start with and use the screen to capture if required...

And just pointing the cam in the right driection works most of the time...

Don't bother avoiding the sun either, it will get there anyway although right into it will be a bit hit and miss if on auto.

Mostly they are decent cams which will work easily enough, it is the content that makes or breaks. The hardest part is getting it out of the bag often enough.....so you just want to devise a method of point and shoot and often, IMV
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Changing the perspective might help? If the camera person skis down slope and takes video from a lying down/kneeling position you might get a more accurate view of the steepness. It should look more dramatic anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
The hardest part is getting it out of the bag often enough.....so you just want to devise a method of point and shoot and often, IMV

Agreed. It's much easier to convey the dynamic nature of skiing if you have a lot of footage that you can select from and create a fast-paced edit. But that's not really compatible with a day's free skiing - I think to create a dynamic video you have to dedicate yourself to getting the right footage, and lots of it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Yes...but even editing can be an issue.... I just shoot as much as I can..and I do make an effort...but it is what it is, mostly a series of hacks.
To much more would seriously eat into the sking time....

If my group don't like it, then they can do some stuff themselves.... although our pro-camera man does his bit even if it is a bit of a busman's holiday.

FWIW, it is a bit difficult messing around with both cuts as they are MOV's and AVI... and basic editing suites don't seem to cater for both...

I could load Adobe Prem again and expect that to get round it but that is more work that I can spare atm....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, I agree, you need an eyepiece (and to hold it reasonably close to your eye to avoid shake and the 'snow and sky' footage!)

Also take loads and use Pinnacle editing suite to add music, titles, menus and special effects (slo mo, transitions, etc). Makes for much better watching. But there seems to be no way round the fact that skiing looks slow, slopes look much flatter than they are!

Where can you buy a 'cheap headcam'rob@rar?
latest report
TJon - the only way of creating something that will be watched is to start out with a concept, plan it and edit to it.

Here's a video I did a couple of years ago.

I had the song in mind a few weeks before I went away and framed a concept around it. So you'll see that I knew I wanted head shots of everyone - so I did that at the airport / in bars.

You'll find some other ones on my YouTube account.

If you want something really tight then Adobe Premiere (Elements) is the way to go.

To give you an idea, I reckon that 30-40 minutes of raw footage edits down to a good 3-4 music based video.
ski holidays
kitenski, on the first video you posted, what's the second song?

(thanks btw, started watching last night, looks like a good time)
ski holidays
Ski behind the person skiing, try to give some commentary as it keeps peoples interest and if you can ski past them while videoing later in the shoot. That normally works pretty well.

p.s. this actually makes your skiing better but mind yourself as you may wipe out spectacularly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy