Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots-have they been lost by an airline

Have the baggage handlers ever lost your boots?
Yes, on the outward journey, I had to have nasty hire boots
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but it was on the return journey so didn't spoil my holiday
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
No
90%
 90%  [ 77 ]
Voted : 85
Total Votes : 85

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so how many of you trusting folk have put your boots in the hold of the plane? Did they arrive safely? Vote accordingly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have always put my boots in the hold.

And so far, I have never had any item of luggage delayed or lost (including a good many non-ski trips over the years).

You haven't given us any voting options for them not having been lost/delayed Puzzled
[EDIT] - the No option appeared while I was writing tath post snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have (in the past) and they have gone missing on the return flight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tempting fate, I know, but in all my air travel, I can only recall one example of me having delayed, let alone lost, baggage. I gather it's getting bad if you fly BA at Heathrow - but so far, so good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not yet with ski boots, but I have had a set of golf clubs go missing some years ago.

I'm putting my boots on as hand luggage on the way out this time, not as worried on the way back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have had a pair of sunglasses nicked out my bag though. I have particularly good travel insurance which lets me spend up to £2,500 on essentials after a 24 hour wait so I don't think I'd be too worried if boots did go astray wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a tale of some that did get lost http://www.megeveski.com/
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've never had lost/delayed baggage on a 1 hop flight. Several times when transiting via Heathrow, Gatwick and Schiphol though. If I'm doing a 2 hop and am concerned about a particular piece of luggage coming with me, then I don't let them check it right through. I pick it up myself and hand carry it to be rechecked for the 2nd flight. Never lost anything doing that (yet!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My vote was "no", the airline has never "lost" or even delayed my boots. Howver due to 2 of us having the same boot bag, I did once leave my boots at Calgary airport as I'd seen "my" boot bag. 2 days in hire boots till our rep arranged for my boots to be brought down - I will never forget those days, and that was before I had my boots fitted properly!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"no" however this year got delayed out of aspen, therefore missing our manchester connection, and having to get home via heathrow with a delay of twelve hours in total, so we had to leave our bags in the system in chicago, our luggage and all my ski gear was delivered to our house about six hours after we got home, great service from BMI Shock
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
any boots or ski boots wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Neilski, lucky you were in. I've had them (actually might've been BA) dump bags on the ground floor doorstep of flats I used to live in (we were on the top floor) in the pissing rain. Nice. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No. But I have several advantages.

1) I choose a direct flight whenever one is available. Less chance of my bags missing the connection. Now that I live in a big city with 3 major airport to choose from, that's relatively easy to accomplish.
2) I've taken my boots with me on non-direct flights. Nonetheless, my luggage made it even with the chaotic cancellations in Aspen.

I've only have a few experience of luggage not showing up when I expect it. And the delays were all less than 24 hours (usually the first thing next day). I'm more worried about outward bound flights than return flights. So I pack accordingly just in case...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have had boots and skis go missing when connecting at Schiphol a few times, but only on the way home. And in fact on all occasions, they were delivered to my house at around 10am the next morning. Also had everything go missing on a direct charter flight once, but again it all came straight to the house about 12 hours later.

D
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never take the chance - boots as hand luggage every time so far.

Having said that, in 33 years of travelling, only once has my luggage been lost (British Airways, Manchester to Dusseldorf. Bags went to Frankfurt).
latest report
I voted no, but that might be because I've never flown with ski gear!! This may bias your voting system, you might wish to add in an extra option to cope with this so you don't get a biased 'No' response? Not that I'm being critical of a poll - that just doesn't happen on snowHead 's Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
So it's looking like a resounding no to boots lost in transit then (so far)....

Couple of thoughts....1. So why the bitchin' and moanin' about some airlines or airports not allowing boots as hand luggage? and 2. If no-one has actually lost their luggage on the way out of the UK, does this suggest that it is lost on the way back in to the UK - and therefore possible not the fault of the UK baggage handlers ?

Toofy Grin
latest report
Guvnor, the time our gear was lost on a charter flight home (and returned to us 12 hours later) was when we were flying from Salzburg to Manchester, before they added the new terminal at Salzburg. It was as busy as I have ever seen it, with enormous queues for check-in, and some people only reaching check-in at the time their flight was due to leave. Lots of delays, and at the time, the airport just couldn't cope with the volume of passengers. So yes, I would say a different set of potential problems from those we might have (but never have) experienced leaving Manchester. I think things have been vastly improved since the addition of the new charter terminal at Salzburg, and the checking-in of skis directly from the buses rather than in the terminal. Mainly I feel the improvement because it means the main terminal which we use is now rarely full!

Both times that our gear has got lost at Schiphol, it has been due to a late arrival of our first leg flight, in a tiny plane, which has parked somewhere over in Belgium, and really our luggage had no chance of making the connection.

So again, more a case of a short-ish connection made very short by delay, rather than just general carelessness.

Haven't flown with BA yet though wink ! I am prepared to revise my opinion Laughing !

D
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
2. If no-one has actually lost their luggage on the way out of the UK, does this suggest that it is lost on the way back in to the UK - and therefore possible not the fault of the UK baggage handlers ?

Ah, the question was only about boots.

I've had my clothes bag get delayed (up to 5 days) on the way out several times. Most of those occassions it hasn't been UK baggage handlers at fault - although they have been responsible for mose of the damage to my bags.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Flawed ... depends upon total journeys of boots wink If Id traveled with ski-boots 1,000 times then much more valid than the rest of you Twisted Evil
latest report
Agenterre, I agree, but the argument rages each winter, so I thought I would find out how much truth there was in it.
latest report
Not boots but skis. Fortunately homeward bound. BA / Heathrow luggage handling again I'm afraid. Sad

Arrived at San Fransisco: "we've been trying to contact you your flight is cancelled" There has been a BIG dump in New York.

American Airlines kindly worked out alternative - transit in Chicago, flight to Heathrow, before short hop to Manchester.

Arrive safe and sound in UK, get transferred between terminals (what a horrible welcome Heathrow transit must be to foreigners rolling eyes ), finally arrive in Manchester.

NO skis - they'd made it back to UK, in spite of all the last minute arrangements, but BA struggled with the last 100 miles. "Don't worry we'll courier them up to Darlington" Hadn't turned up 1 week later, so phone call to BA. "They've been taken to a more local depot before sending them on" Our skis travelled London-Manchester-Birmingham-Stockton! Apparently someone can't read a map.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had boots lost on return, but was starting to get concerned as was flying out 12 days later for another trip Smile

Have had skis go astray too both outward and homeward, all gear has eventually turned up so no foul really wink
snow report
I always check my boot bag. I've never lost any baggage on a flight.
I had a box full of promotional material delayed by half a day on a flight to Hartford CT, but I got by somehow.
If my boots were waylaid, I'm sure I'd manage: Tecnica Diablos in 26.5 fit me like a glove right out of the box and I normally visit resorts with plenty of shops.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 6-02-08 21:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Always put them in my case along with my helmet, which has never been damage.

Seem like an worry over the actual odds to me.
snow conditions
FYI: When I travelled out of Gatwick before Christmas they made a point of ensuring that hand luggage did not include ski boots or helmets. Apparently it's a new rule for all BAA airports. I was travelling with a charter flight (can't remember which!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Always put them in my case along with my helmet, which has never been damage.

Seem like an worry over the actual odds to me.

From the poll results so far it would appear to be an unfounded concern.
latest report
How would you know if it was the baggage handlers that lost your boots ?

(Sorry Helen couldn't resist)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can you take your boots as hand luggage ?
snow conditions
my dads skis went missing on return journey but not boots would not want to have boots missing on outward journey. cant this year driving to wengen
snow report
Have lost baggage on the outbound trip.

Well, not exactly lost we knew where it was - Spain (we were in Munich Airport)

And how did we know? Well, there was this identical bag with all these stickers for Spain going around and around the baggage carousel (sp?). Baggage returned to us at Munich airport - one week later!Sad

By the way - to any one who has ever loaned a spare pair of gloves, wooly hat etc to a desparate skier - THANKS Razz
ski holidays
skitrack wrote:
By the way - to any one who has ever loaned a spare pair of gloves, wooly hat etc to a desparate skier - THANKS Razz

I agree!
latest report
Not lost ski stuff, but last July both of us had our bags delayed just less than 24hrs by Delta in Atlanta (their main hub). We had flown on to Kansas, the bags hadn't & nor had those of about 20 other passengers. We were told it was not unusual, but that Delta pretty much always get them delivered within 24 hrs so they don't have to pay up compensation! So I wouldn't want to risk a ski holiday which involved a Delta transfer in Atlanta!
ski holidays
..Mmmmh 1% have lost ski boots on way out. Which insurance policy flys your favourite bootfitter out to redo your boots in an emergency, is the additional premium cost-effective ? Twisted Evil
snow report
Agenterre, NehNeh
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:
Can you take your boots as hand luggage ?

It seems you can't any more....there's another thread here
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
..Mmmmh 1% have lost ski boots on way out. Which insurance policy flys your favourite bootfitter out to redo your boots in an emergency, is the additional premium cost-effective ? Twisted Evil

Hehe-- Laughing Shocked Seems I am that one % who has lost skiboots on way out!

Flew to Malaga airport about 10 years ago (can't remember which airline)--headed for Sierra Nevada, skiboots were packed in a small suitcase in hold luggage, never arrived,( lost or stolen?)--bought my present lovely Nordica boots in resort after trying on dozens in local shops--- claimed insurance on my return home-- got insurance --so it was a happy ending...BUT: I don't wish to repeat this experience! Very Happy
snow conditions
Julieanne, Very Happy Very Happy .
snow report
always put boots in hold luggage and never lost them...... only time I have ever had a bag delayed was coming back from 3 months in the states (with maxed out luggage!) - flew boston to CDG then on to Glasgow and cos the plane from CDG to Glasgow was so small they couldn't fit all the luggage on as there were a few people connecting from long haul flight with more luggage - unsurprisingly my 2 huuuuge bags were the ones left off rolling eyes but they turned up at my house about 6 hours after I did, all intact and to my intense relief, not having been searched by customs to discover the vast quantities of clothes and souvenirs I had collected in the land of the cheap Very Happy

But now I have said my boots have never been lost I am glad I'm driving to Meribel this year - may have tempted fate Very Happy
ski holidays
An additional option to be added to the poll (just to even the playing field) :-

A. I carried my boots on as hand luggage, but my hold baggage didn't arrive and my holiday experience suffered badly as a result

or I suppose a second addition...

B. I carried my boots on as hand luggage, but my hold baggage didn't arrive and my holiday experience didn't suffer badly as a result
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy