Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any gym experts/medics who can give me muscle soreness advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been going to the gym 3x a week for the last 3 and a half weeks to try and improve my chances of skiing well and avoiding injury when I go away in 10 days time. I had a programme given to me by a gym personal trainer which has been slightly changed each week & has included crosstrainer, bike, rower, treadmill (walking uphill, varying speed/incline), leg press, leg extensions/curls, heel drops/raises, squats and floor work on core strength/stability. Trouble is, far from my legs feeling stronger I have muscle soreness down the outsides of both of them when I stand up from sitting on a chair - exaclty what I want to be problem-free when skiing. I thought they'd get used to it and it would go away leaving me feeling fit and strong! I've been going Mon/Weds and either Fri or Sat. Should I be resting longer between sessions, or doing less during the sessions? How many days before going away should I stop the gym work?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Used to get this frequantly when i first started to step up the amount of gym work i was doing. IF this is what you have, it doesn't last forever, will subside and eventually (if you keep excercising) you'll stop getting it.

I normally have a couple of days off from the gym before i go skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a word with one of the trainers about it. most likely it is DOMS like magic_hat says. if it's the outside of your legs it could be your ITB, in which case some foam roller action might loosen them up. the trainer will be able to explain. unfortunately, it's one of those things which hurt while they are doing you good Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - I am not seeing the trainer until next Monday (and she isn't a skier!). It is a small "help yourself" gym with no resident staff at all, hence my asking on here. I think you're absolutely right that it's DOMS but my immediate issue is that I am skiing in 10 days time and want my legs to be in the best condition possible to get me up off chair lifts in one piece (last time I managed to fall twice through my legs having "gone" and so I'm a bit apprehensive).

Yes, I know I ought to have started the gym more than 5 weeks before going, but hindsight's a wonderful thing! Really I could do with your thoughts on what I should do now in the last 10 days, given that my legs are not fully recovering between gym sessions even if there are 2 days between. Ought I to let them 100% recover before I go again or keep going, but reduce the intensity of what I do? How many days before I go should I do my last gym session?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Legs, if well trained, will never recover in two days. I am on the second day since my last leg exercise. I can hardly walk properly. Legs are half of the muscles in your body, and your mere butt muscle (gluteus maximus) is the largest single muscle you have.

My recommendation for the last ten days: train your legs one more time very hard, and have two other light leg days with elliptic machine, some extensions and curls. Possibly, if you can, go for a short run. Do not squat of press heavy for the last five days before going on piste. Stop all exercise two days before the trip at least. Stretch properly, some 30 mins after the exercise. Relax and enjoy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, recovery depends on many factors... age, fitness, diet, how much rest you're getting etc.... I personally allow 4 full days rest between working the same muscle groups, so IMO you're probably overtraining, which can be counter-productive - try coming down exercising every 5th day.

I'd stop the gym work at least 4 or 5 days before going again to allow full recovery prior to skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you doing all those exercises every time you go!!

If so split them up a bit,

Ie :

Mon 30 mins weights on 'upper' legs, 30 mins CV

Wed do 30 mins CV work, 30 mins core

Fri 30 mins CV, 30 mins 'lower' legs
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always feel the difference if I haven't stretched properly. Give yourself plenty of tine at the end to have a good stretch.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, I do about 25 mins CV to warm up, using 2 different machines, eg Xtrainer or rower plus treadmill or bike. Then I do all the weights and the floor work and finish with about 15 mins CV using a different machine to the warm up, then about 5-10 mins stretching. It probably IS too much to be doing 3x a week and splitting them up as you say would give each area more recovery time. I don't run at all as I have been advised not to do impact work because of my previously badly injured ankle & the beginnings of arthritis in the hip that side. Instead I walk fast varying the incline.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I were you, for the last week before the trip, all I would do for legs then is walking and stretching. If you are planning to continue going to the gym three times a week, train the whole lower body once/week. The other two times concentrate on upper body and core muscles. Keep on doing the cardio every time. That will keep your legs working even when you are not targeting them specifically.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, there are two possible muscle groups that may be giving pain as you describe - the ilio-tibial band (as Arno says) which could be improved by an appropriate stretch http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/files/U50595_stretching_exercises_complete.pdf?PHPSESSID=d297c926f1a37bc54d38d6e93a3758ea the lowest one on the sheet (I hope CEMdoesn't mind my continually pointing people at his stretches leaflet Shocked , but it is excellent) - or vastus lateralis which is part of the quads mechanism and would be being worsened esp by the leg presses, if so I would lay off them for the moment.

Butterfly, try the quads stretch off the sheet. If it doesn't hurt much then it's the ilio-tibial band that's the problem and vice versa.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick L, thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, good advice above.

One last suggestion before you go, even if you do stop the gym 4-5 days prior to travel: on the very last day before travel do just the bike warmup and stretching.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]Butterfly[/b the other key warm-up routine to get into before going skiing is start drinking much more than one normally would - I would suggest a half bottle of a decent Sancerre at lunch to start building up to three cocktails before dinner followed by as much euro-lager as you can keep down - that should ensure you're up to speed when you get to resort.

Alternate drinking arms to stave of tendonitis
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
demos wrote:
Legs, if well trained, will never recover in two days. I am on the second day since my last leg exercise. I can hardly walk properly.

Unless you're a power-lifter or a body-builder, I would suggest you're over-doing the weights if it cripples you in that fashion. For 'normal' everyday fitness work, there's really no need to damage the muscles to that extent. IMV, of course
snow conditions
Red Leon, I know - I train very hard for an ordinary person without competitive goals (+ there was a ten day break between my leg exercise this time, usually it's about 5-7 days).

In any case, legs take a surprisingly long time to recover properly. They are a very big muscle group and in order to get strength and endurance, you will have to push yourself to the point where you are going to feel uncomfortable. Unless, of course, you start from such a bad point that any exercise is better than nothing.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:

One last suggestion before you go, even if you do stop the gym 4-5 days prior to travel: on the very last day before travel do just the bike warmup and stretching.

Can I ask why please?

red 27, Shocked what kind of a girl do you think I am wink wink
snow report
Butterfly, a fit one wink
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
comprex wrote:

Can I ask why please?

Just to get the muscles used to moving again, in as much range of motion as possible without damaging the fibers and requiring further recovery.

A warmup day, if you will, with the advantages of leaving a ski day free, and of better control of effort and duration than skiing itself.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Butterfly, a fit one wink
Oh how wrong can you be! Wink

Thanks Comprex, will try to do this.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy