Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Correct Boot Flex for skill level vs Body Weight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just purchased a pair of Nordica speedmaster 14 (flex 120-130) . The fit is great and comfortable , skied for a full day at the the Cairngorm last weekend , powder , wind blown slabs and crud , and feet felt great at the end of the day. However , when compared with my old boots Salomon x-wave 8 , when skiing in varibale snow conditions i felt that I did not have as much control , even wiped out twice as the boots semed to offer offer little foregiveness. I am 5 foot 11 and 11st 8 lbs , (i.e slim) is this new boot flex too strong?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The jury is out on boot flex at the moment. The traditional view was that as you got better you needed a stiffer boot right up to full blown racers who would have boots as stiff as yours! Along comes the likes of Warren Smith and says you need more ankle flex for big mountain skiing. your boots should not in any case be more flexible than your ankles. Is there no flex adjustment in the boots short of a hack saw?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob,
Quote:

Along comes the likes of Warren Smith and says you need more ankle flex for big mountain skiing.

Does that account for the fact that certain peoples physiology doen't permit the desired amount of flex needed for the ski boot? No, Warren needs to update his choice of words. Me thinks. But then i'm a bootfitter/was a bootfitter, not a ski instructor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you make a very good point, the answer is no, after removing some bolts from the back of my boots on a ski instructors advice, I ended up with a damaged achillies tendon that took 6 months to recover. As I said above your boot flex should be less than your ankle flex if it is to support you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, 100% hit the nail on the head. A soft boot without the permitted amount of flex of ankle will cause 1 of three problems, 1 of which you have.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
But then i'm a bootfitter/was a bootfitter

"Was"? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, how much flex do you have in your ankle joint without boots on? check to see and if it is over 10 degrees, which isnt a lot, chances are it isnt your boot causing the problem as your boot wont have more than 10 degrees flex. if your ankle flex is restricted removing bolts is a bad idea.

what do i know i am not a boot fitter just a ski instructor.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob, SMALLZOOKEEPER, good points... I could add more but shouldn't...

My own experience is that after removing the back rivets from my Sally Falcon 10's the flex (was 110, now unknown) feels right. i.e. when i hit a bump/soft snow/anything that throws me forward I now flex and stay in control, whereas at 110 level I'd feel like I was being thrown over the front of the boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski with Salomon x wave 8s - not sure they fit well anymore probably done 40weeks skiing in 'em. Now tell me how much gap should i have around the top of the boot? I seem to have 2-3cms, I generally ski with the power strap thing around the outer shell. I'm quite sure the fit is wrong but when I crank up the clips and place the power strap around the inner boot so its snug around the leg (thin leg), feels like i'm skiing with lumps of concrete on my feet. Loose all the feedback, in crud, bumps, etc feels very stiff, for on piste carving does allow feel a little better. Maybe I've got too used to a loose fit, but I get more feedback, it's less harsh in the crud & bumps. The only time it feels wrong is high speed crud busting, can feel the lack of support bouncing me about a little. The feedback thing I relate to windsurfing where I hate to wear boots, bare foot allows you to feel whats going on and react.

Anyway I waffle - is what I'm describing similar to the flex argument or is that a little further down in the boot geometry? Thinking I need new boots but worried that a good shop fit is going to feel too different and hence make it hard to asses if the boot is good for me.

Anyway to reply to RobCrock, I reckon a bit of flex (my interpretation of flex) is no bad thing if you're hitting the rough stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If ski instructors, as a whole, could understand the physics of a skiboot vs the physiology of the ankle then life would be sweet. Without, Ski Instructors are 'Dumb ass skiers', using themselves as the norm. I don't wish to generalize however i feel this is a conveinent excuse for bad teaching. Open your minds, embrace physical fact. Read 'Dorsifexion'. rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jo225, I have another 6weeks of fitting boots then it's over, i have lost the battle. In 12 years i've done enough to improve the skiing of my clients to realise, enough is enough. I want perfection, it doesn't exist, 100% is too much to ask. WC, Tourist or Holidaymaker, i can't satisfy my commitment. Time for the beach, fish and farming. Perspecive is everything. I lost myself in it all. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Jo225, I have another 6weeks of fitting boots then it's over, i have lost the battle. In 12 years i've done enough to improve the skiing of my clients to realise, enough is enough. I want perfection, it doesn't exist, 100% is too much to ask. WC, Tourist or Holidaymaker, i can't satisfy my commitment. Time for the beach, fish and farming. Perspecive is everything. I lost myself in it all. Embarassed

Shocked Shocked Shocked

If you really think you'll be happier away from it all... then well done, it's a brave move!
And all the best to you Very Happy

But it's a sad day for feet, I think...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jo225, Thanx, i'll be back, but for now, Co-Polymers and bio-mechanics has sucked me dry. Rando and the Enviroment is all that counts. Peace Sister. X
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, So are you going to work for Garmont?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy