Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Side-slipping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
vivski, I find sideslipping really easy, my son who is a better skier than me has real trouble with it. His teacher says a lot of young kids have more difficulty with it than the adults do.
It nice to have something that the oldies are better at!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ickabodblue, wish I was better at it than the kids Embarassed sadly age does not seem to help me Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nor me - a skill too far as yet!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly, are you still using those junior race Atomics? A wider ski, or a torsionally softer ski, could help develop the sensation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, no I just borrowed those for my 3 days in Tignes. I am hiring in Vallandry.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, sounds good, let us know how it goes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, oh I certainly will - so many people here have given me so much support and lots of tips I just can't wait to put it all into practice, especially with the help of NewGeneration lessons! It's a week tomorrow that I leave home to go (staying in Luton Travelodge the night before the flight as it's an early one), not that I am getting excited of course - **bounce bounce**!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always found this technique very easy and very useful, especially when you drop yourself in the deepend at the beginning of a Ski Holiday and hit the hardest, iciest black run on the slopes.. :/

Just keep practicin and don't really think about it NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just read this thread - something I promised myself I would make time before before I go tomorrow. You may recall that I too need to get a side slip sorted to give me a safety net when things get too steep. As its one of those not moving around a lot exercises I imagine that you could be a flippin' nuisance to other skiers whilst you practice it. Would it be OK to do something like this to one side of the piste?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
Would it be OK to do something like this to one side of the piste?
Yes, although it would be courteous to other skiers if you make sure you aren't unsighted (underneath a ridge for example). Practising edge control by side slipping ins't just a get out of jail card when you find the terrain too steep. Skidding and scraping (which uses the same control as side-slipping) is an essential component of skiing around the mountain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always have a go at side slipping leading with both legs each am. I see it as part of my warm up, helps with edge control as previously said, also just gets me thinking about control as well as getting the legs working. always practice towards the left side of the piste (It always seems to me to be the quietest side).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
I have just read this thread - something I promised myself I would make time before before I go tomorrow. You may recall that I too need to get a side slip sorted to give me a safety net when things get too steep. As its one of those not moving around a lot exercises I imagine that you could be a flippin' nuisance to other skiers whilst you practice it. Would it be OK to do something like this to one side of the piste?

Of course it would, as long as you're not getting in the way of the really fast Skiiers, and even if you are, they should have seen you by then and manouvered themselves out of the way. Try use different parts of your body to weight whilst experimenting with it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Reckon you will find it easy enough to learn - I remember seeing a very neat "hockey stop" or whatever you call it on skis on that video you posted of you at Resort X - I fell over the only time I tried to do one!! Hope you have a fab time!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Would it be OK to do something like this to one side of the piste?

Of course; you are just as entitled to do that as those who want to whizz around are entited to to do their thing. You should be able to do it in safety anywhere on any piste, but common sense suggests that doing it immediatly below a drop off is not sensible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy