Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poiana Brasov, Romania

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have just returned from our week in Poiana Brasov. Since there isn't a proper review on here, I thought I'd have a go:
The resort is heaven sent for beginners and low intermediates. The ski school is excellent, and the instructors really try to get you skiing to the best of your ability. Mrs Spurs and I went last week, barely able to do step turns on blues. We can now do paralells on reds and have skied parts of the blacks:D
Our instructor was Aron, mere words cannot do justice to his skills as a skiing coach but such is the standard of the school that I know that every other skiier there would say that thier instructor was the best.
The resort is very small and most definately not suited to advanced skiers, but it is great for those of us either taking the first nervous steps on skis or wanting to improve on the skills from previous holidays.
There is a large nursery slope, fenced off from the main beginners slope, so that complete beginners have a nice area to learn in.
The main beginners slope is served by a button lift, fenced in for the most part, but with exit points at various heights so that you progress in gentle steps until you are able to ski from the top.
Conditions permitting, you will be taking the cable cars up the mountain by day four and coming down the very scenic blues.
Snow is obviously everything. There hadn't been any significant falls there since late December but temperatures had remained cold so we had plenty of cover. It was icy in the mornings though, and a bit heavy in the afternoon.
Luckily enough we had about two feet of the glorious white stuff Tuesday night and all day Wednesday! It was a totally unbelievable experience Very Happy It was the day of the main 'excursion' to Bran castle, so the slopes were almost deserted. Aron took the remaining members of our group up the mountain to ski the long blue (4600 metres...well, it's the longest I've done) and the conditions were perfect! sailing through snow, unable to see your skis and with the powder puffing off of your knees..I imagine that it was like off piste, but on piste Madeye-Smiley The following day brought clear blue skies, and the views! We were in paradise. We were unable to restrain the whoops of joy and exhillaration as we had the time of our lives skiing through the beautiful scenery.
We stayed at the hotel Bradul, part of the three hotel ANA group which are situated right next to the nursury slopes, with a package that included everything. Ski hire, lift passes, ski school, half board and free booze in the evenings. I made a point of asking poeple staying in the other hotels what they thought of their room. Everyone was happy. Our room was large, modern, warm and clean with very comfy beds and a fantastic shower. Even the tv in the rooms was good, 23 channels, most of them in english with romanian subtitles.
The food was perfectly acceptable, with plenty of choice, and the staff were uniformly polite and helpful.
There is little nightlife in the resort. A few restaurants and bars and one or two nightclubs for the die-hards, but the main city of Brasov is close by if you need a shopping/eating/clubbing fix.
The only extra we did was the party on the friday night where they presented the awards and showed the video that had been shot during the week. Hilarious and well worth the money.
The only bad thing I can say about the place is the ski hire. The equipment is old. The skis are a bit beaten up but are perfectly serviceable but the boots are not good. If you are a beginner it won't make much difference, and they will change them for you if you find them uncomfortable. I would advise intermediates to buy your own boots before you go, mine only cost £99 from Decathlon, I haven't had them adjusted or heat moulded and they are as comfortable as my shoes, hopefully they will last me a good few seasons and by then I'll know what I need when it comes to replacing them.
Overall, I would heartily recommend this resort as a family freindly destination for beginners and intermediates alike.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
youspurs1, I would echo everything you said, I've just got back from Livigno and I wanted to be have something to compare Poiana too.

The best bit is certainly the instruction, having someone from 9.30 to 4.30 every day certainly helps your progress and confidence. We had Razvan, I'm sure he was better wink

The ANA hotels are also quite cosy and with the included beer and food you get to know everyone else which is good if you prefer a few drinks and food rather than dancing on tables.

The ski area isn't massive so some of the more experienced skiers may get bored. I guess you also have to pick your time for the snow cover. We went early March and it was patchy at the bottom and it was a bit icy in places. (Everywhere was crap last year so don't assume this is typical of this resort though)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi - I know this is an old post but thought I'd leave a message as I'm off to Pioana end of Feb. It's my first snowboarding holiday so am a little nervour and obviously excited at the same time. We booked Poiana due to the excellent cost compared to France or Italy. With the lessons being included in the price we thought we couldn't go wrong. We are staying in the Sport. You say the equipment isn't very good - is it worst us purchasing our own boots before we go? We were looking at the ones in Decathlon also.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy