Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB plagiarise yet again!

Poster: A snowHead
"All property is theft", Pierre-Joseph Proudhon 1840... bet he skiied in Chamonix
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller wrote:
"All property is theft", Pierre-Joseph Proudhon 1840... bet he skiied in Chamonix

Prud'homme, Shocked isn't he the head of the Chamonicks tourist office?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, yes, he complains about the "theft" of local homes and businesses by Brits loaded with readies!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, Are they the same 'Brits' looking for a greedy 'Frenchman' to buy them off?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, bingo!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
laundryman, Are they the same 'Brits' looking for a greedy 'Frenchman' to buy them off?

That's a simplistic view of your Chamonix neighbours SZK. Some people are forced to sell up by the swinging inheritance tax and complicated rights of succession that exist in France.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Maybe true, although initially in the 80/90's Chamonix had sold to the Italians, then in turn they sold back to some of the wealthy French families outside the Valley. I didn't mention my Chamonix neighbours, whom have at least to me, been welcoming and supportive of my wish to integrate into a local way of life. I hold a position of responsibility, pay my taxes and speak the lingo. I can't afford to buy here, but it isn't the fault of the Brits.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I hold a position of responsibility, pay my taxes and speak the lingo. I can't afford to buy here, but it isn't the fault of the Brits.

True, true.

I read in the Dauphine Libere that 30% of the locals have moved out of Cham over the last 10 years. It is obviously a problem, but it is also a problem in the Peak District or Cornwall in the UK or most anywhere else. There are obviously some greedy property speculators.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not quite sure what you folk are saying. Property vendors sell for the highest price they can get, generally. I suppose that makes every seller 'greedy'? And what is a buyer supposed to do - offer a price lower than he knows the seller will accept?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, Based on that, are the Brit's to blame for the price of property in Chamonix? Or just the simple principals of economics?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, straightforward economics, I think. Mind you, I can see that it would be sad if the character of a place changes through a new group becoming a majority. What should be done I don't know. I like LDA (and Venosc) partly because it still has a strong French ambience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, When i am Mayor of Chamonix, you will be not able to get a job, legally or buy a property, unless you pass a basic French speaking test.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Brilliant! Worthy of a thread of it's own, I feel sure sH's could assist with more suggestions for your election manifesto Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'd go along with that. I think if you buy a place in a community, you should make big efforts to adapt to it, not expect (or want) it to adapt overly much to you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I note that the pics have now been credited to their owners... http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5347 Just dawned on me that c/o must mean "courtesy of". Courtesy... now there's a good word.

Perhaps, for the sake of accuracy, it should say PNF "previously nicked from" or OCAPSOS "only credited after public shaming on Snowheads". Still, all's well til the next time.
snow report
... and one of the 3 pics has been dropped. Has someone objected? How the hell do we get another 17 pages out of this stuff?
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
... and one of the 3 pics has been dropped. Has someone objected? How the hell do we get another 17 pages out of this stuff?

For a start not enough quoting of quotes in this thread. Get professorpool of the iphone thread and I can see a 40 pager here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
We could introduce an historical angle, such as 'Glencoe Massacre and Battle of Culloden now outshone by Anglo-Scottish war over ski photos'.

On Saturday I did raise the following:
Quote:
On a similar theme, what's the position regarding snowHeads News photos? Right-click on them and the properties come up as 'snowHeads.com'. They are not caption-credited to photographers/sources. Are they used with permission?

Is anyone at the snowHeads Rights & Permissions Dept available today, or is the department sliding?
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
We could introduce an historical angle, such as 'Glencoe Massacre and Battle of Culloden now outshone by Anglo-Scottish war over ski photos'.

On Saturday I did raise the following:
Quote:
On a similar theme, what's the position regarding snowHeads News photos? Right-click on them and the properties come up as 'snowHeads.com'. They are not caption-credited to photographers/sources. Are they used with permission?

Is anyone at the snowHeads Rights & Permissions Dept available today, or is the department sliding?

I smell another 'terms and conditions thread' coming up - now we haven't had one of those for yonks Toofy Grin
snow report
achilles, time to don the helmet. wink
snow report
I notice that they have managed to still avoid crediting the websites in question let alone provide links. I'm starting to get more annoyed now because it's hard not to feel that the wee wee is being taken here. Their gaining advantage from using material, but making sure that the originators of the material gain no advantage in return from their materials use on the Ski Club site. This is not a one way street and I can be fairly confident as a large commercial organisation that the person writing/editing the Ski Club website gets paid a damn site more than myself or Jamie will ever make out of our respective web sites.

How many people reading that are going to know who the credits refer to and think, oh "Jamie Johnston, right better go look at Highland Instinct to see more photos... oh Alan Mackay, better have a gander at Winterhighland too then!". Sad
snow conditions
Winterhighland, once again (donning SCGB member's hat, and having served on its Council) I think you're expressing a fair point of view. The etiquette/culture of the internet is to link to source.

Incidentally, I had a look at Winterhighland in a bit more detail over the weekend and noticed that your site operates with no contractual conditions between site owner and contributors. This means, in essence, that all material hosted by you is recognised as author-copyright or photographer-copyright (by default). Is that correct?
latest report
Winterhighland, a good point and, rest assured, they are taking the p*ss out of you. You'd think they'd want to nurture a relationship with you especially since they seem to have no interest in anything north of Battersea. Get heavy.
snow report
Out of interest, are we talking about professional photographers/journalists work being used or just random holiday snaps and a bit of blogging?
ski holidays
It doesn't matter. Copyright law doesn't discriminate between professionals and amateurs, in terms of intellectual property. It may discriminate between amateur and professional boot-fitters, but I'm not up to speed with boot law.
snow report
Winterhighland, you clearly are a bit wound up. Why not contact James Cove directly through the ski club- if you use the contact email address and ask for the message to be passed to James (similar way of contacting SCGB staff has worked for me) I think he'll respond. I have found him very approachable on the one time I met him personally, and in occasional correspondence since then.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
It doesn't matter. Copyright law doesn't discriminate between professionals and amateurs, in terms of intellectual property. It may discriminate between amateur and professional boot-fitters, but I'm not up to speed with boot law.

it does matter a little bit, legally speaking, in that if you wanted to launch a prosecution (which, I want to make it clear, no one is talking about here) you have to be able to show a loss. If they were photographs taken by a pro this is much clearer as they would have a value of say 100-500 UKP per snap. Ditto articles taken from print publications.

The Ski Club has good legal advice so I guess they know all the ins-and-outs.
snow conditions
Quote:

The Ski Club has good legal advice
and don't they need it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Then i think it's down to induviduals to protect themselves before posting such items. Peeling stuff off the net is a simple process these days, i've seen many photo's on this site, clearly not taken by the poster, but posted to add humor to a certain topic. DG would regularly post many of photographic replies to posts (sorry David to single you out.) i'm sure he'd never asked permission or taken photos of people with 'Spam' tins on their heads. I can't see the difference. sorry.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think that's a borderline case, because it's only links that are stored on snowHeads: the originals stay put (unless deliberately moved to another site, which I doubt DG has done).
snow conditions
davidof, interesting points, but let's consider a scenario:

A Scottish photo shows the same excellent conditions, but depicts Gordon Brown skiing naked down the White Lady. It happens that only the one photo exists. It would matter not a jot to a court of law who took the photo. The latent value of the photo, in terms of use without permission, could be proven by its potential earnings via international syndication etc etc. Expert witnesses would establish this.

The status of the photographer - amateur or pro - wouldn't concern the court. The value of the photo is the essence of the matter.
ski holidays
Quote:

Gordon Brown skiing naked down the White Lady
i thought he was in China
ski holidays
Does Gordon Brown ski and more importantly is he a member of the SKGB?
snow report
Bode Swiller, India.
ski holidays
DB, I think what is more important is does he ski naked? The mind boggles Shocked
ski holidays
This explains his facial affliction. Wouldn't catch Cameron skiing naked. Maybe New Labour have overstayed their welcome.
snow conditions
If you guys are determined to wind this up to 17 pages, someone needs to put a link on the clubs chatboard Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Which brings me onto the question is it easier to ski or board naked?

With skiing it's harder to keep your poles up (image not c/o the SKGB)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-01-08 14:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
You mean without boots, or partially naked?

I'd say it's easier to board without boots.
snow report
DB, that would be Rainer Schonfelder not Gordon Brown (GB's tattoo is on the other cheek)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy