Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

City Night Line trains in Continental Europ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience of the overnight sleeper train services (City Night Line) from Amsterdam to the Swiss Alps?

Is it worth the money to have a sleeper berth or are the couchettes OK?
How easy was it to buy a ticket?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't answer that, but I've found the website www.seat61.com a mine of information on the most obscure train-related info. Hopefully it has what you need.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no specific experience of this particular service, but rail europe or Dbahn UK sales offices are both helpful when booking most different sorts of European rail travel and the tickets all arrive within a week of the call (often a day or two). If you are in London for work/pleasure the rail Europe offices on Piccadily (French tourist office) allow you to get the whole thing sorted without the 0800 telephone call.

Couchette vs sleeper is too personal to advise on. Depends on how you sleep, whether the other couchette users (if there are any) snore etc etc etc. My own experience is that you often meet really interesting people on Foreign sleeper services, but it's entirely down to chance.

Any particular reason why you are going from Amsterdam rather than Paris ? Another route which may be worthy of consideration is going Eurostar and then picking up a sleeper from either Brussels or Koln - from the latter, German sleeper services serve a number of Swiss destinations.

d
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pendodave,
I need to be in Amsterdam on the Sunday until about 5 - hence the odd starting point

Silly question: Do you get woken up at your stop?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RandomSkier, I've not done the citynight line but on other couchettes and sleepers I've been woken by the attendant when I've not already been wide awake already with traditional couchettes and sleepers there is usually an attendant in each coach
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you're the first stop in the morning I suspect the general noise as each station stop is made will wake you up.

I always set my mobile alarm - if I wasn't 100% certain of being woken my subconcious would stealthily ensure that I kept waking throughout the night to look at the time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Use CNL all the time. The crew friendly. Always use the couchette 6, as I sleep on almost anything NehNeh

They wake you around 30 minutes before Basel, so you have a little time to freshen up before crossing over to the train on the other platform to Interlaken (and then on to Wengen snowHead Toofy Grin )

Gets me to destination more relaxed and rested then sleazyjet, and with my luggage (if i teach i need lots of that) a lot cheaper too.

Pendodave: most passengers get off at Basel or Zurich, not before in germany...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurrah, ticket booked.
Skiing here I come
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy