Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff - clothing!!!! -20 to -30 degree cold!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I've done a lot of skiing but never been to the Rockies!!! Am a bit worried about the possible -20/30 degree cold!

Will I be OK with run of the mill ski wear? I'm proposing to take my Surfanic jacket and maybe my .....wait for it.....Matalan ski jacket which is really cute!!!

Obviously I will be layering up with all the right stuff underneath.

What do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can always buy stuff there if you're chilly, so I wouldn't worry. They do a good line in neoprene face masks, which I found very handy in Feb in Banff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inga, Yes would second the face mask, you can buy there. We got merino balaclavas (sp?) from snow and rock before we went and they were brilliant. Base layers are one of the most important layers - make sure you've got good ones. Take a few sets as you will want some under your jeans at night aswell. Layering is best and if what you've got isn't warm enough as richmond says - go shopping when you are there as they have the stuff made for extreme cold. However don't worry as it may not be that cold - you never know in the Rockies!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inga, We went in early January 3 years ago coldest temperature we encountered was -42 but that was at 8am and we were in the car then, and that morning lake Louise did not open the lifts until it got to a spring like -26. That day I caved in and brought a neoprene mask as my lip stuck to my balaclava. The other thing I would not be without is silk gloves, and socks. You can buy all this in Banff or at the hill. They also do hand warmers that you can put in your boots if it's that cold. When are you going? from mid Feb it should not be that cold but then again you are in the mountains.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a different type of cold, very dry, I never really felt cold.

i wore normal sallopettes, thermal vest, thin feece and ski jacket, one pair of gloves, hat. Didn't really feel the need for balaclava or face mask. I just pulled my hood up on the lifts.

Only remember having really cold hands once or teice and we just went inot the lodge for a warm-up drink

It is pretty chilly if out walking at night in town, take a good thick coat and dry hat/gloves
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I walked back from the pub a mile or two in -29C - beer kept me warm hehehe. Well... the down duvet jacket helped I guess. When skiing I generally find dry cold to be no bother as long as you keep your skin exposure down and don't try to wear too much.. surprising how warm you get skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy