Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon/ Flaine/ Samoens

Poster: A snowHead
kendadj, I usually take my morning stroll down to the Sherpa supermarket. There is also now the added bonus of free wifi hotspot at reception so I can check out the conditions on my phone snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 11yr old son was disappointed with wifi hotspot - couldn't get his PSP to connect so missed his dose of online Starwars Battlefront !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kendadj, My phone worked fine, as did the half dozen people I saw on laptops - buy him a laptop instead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am heading to Les Carroz this w/e. Reports/webcams look fantastic but does anybody have any first hand experience of the current snow conditions?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simo1234, There's lots of it snowHead Seriously, I am jealous - was supposed to be going myself on Thurs/Fri - but cannot now Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevo_the_saddler, in that case, i'll stop gloating....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The off piste snow here in samoens is awesome. Having some of the best powder in my snowboarding life. The black runs are waist deep and boarders are clouds of powder surf. Malking first tracks has been incredible. Stevo the saddler you need to get in your car and get here now you have to dig your way to the sherpa for your croissants!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freestyle, Stop it you git - I am feeling bad enough as it is snowHead I have an empty apartment just waiting for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mate honestly you should be here. Is it ali and tom who run your website? Fs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freestyle, No, but I know them well. I stayed with them a couple of times during construction and do their printing for them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freestyle, You live over there? or just on hols?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On hols. Looking for possible other options for renting out our gaff. Just spoke to shane at coveys about it. Will pm you when we get back in 2 weeks....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freestyle, yeah, one of the guys at Coveys was telling me about similar I gues - speak soon. Where is your place?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the coveys building
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freestyle, Handy snowHead
ski holidays
Hi, am currently in Flaine, arrived on Saturday and it has hardly stopped snowing since then - must have had around 60cm since arriving with 30cm over Monday evening.

Unpisted Lucifer was like off-piste on Tuesday morning - waste deep powder just off piste.

Needless to say snow conditions are as good as it gets right now, been down to Morrillon today which was good - hoping for no snow and lots of sunshine tomorrow for our last days ski-ing, home on Saturday Sad

Got to go, my 30 mins of internet access for 8euros in the Perdrix Noire is fast disappearing and my beer is getting warm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, many many thanks. Enjoy the last few days but leave a bit of powder for me....
snow report
Left Flaine at 6:05am this morning, now back at home near Leeds having a cup of tea.

A light dusting of snow overnight last night but it really didn't need it, the whole Grand Massif area was in excellent nick. We spent most of our time in the Flaine 1,600 - 2,500m area which was absolutely excellent - the snow quality yesterday from the Flaine mid stations up to the Grand Platieres was the best groomed pistes I've ever ski'd.

Its been nice and cold all of last week so the snow which has fallen has stayed in really nice condition - anyone going out there for next week is in for a treat !

simo1234 - if you haven't already left enjoy your time there !
snow report
Just had first day in Flaine. Beautiful day, typical spring skiing. Pistes in good nick. Morning - over to Morillion 1100, lovely empty runs, no queues. PM Flaine bowl, bit windy so DMC kept closing but now that new chair in action (Tetes des Verds) this means that you can at least get most of the way up to the top.
Possibly some snow tonight and tomorrow snowHead
snow conditions
Lou, Too right about new 6 man - even during half term there was absolutely no queue, if you take that, then shush to the next lift on the left it takes you to within a few metres of the same height as the DMC gondola without taking off the planks.
latest report
If anyone is one of those lucky people who can just drop everything and go then GET OUT HERE (Flaine Laughing )! There is so much snow and it's been at it again all day today and again this evening.
stevo_the_saddler, and if you go to the right you can join the Diamant Noir chair and get up that way. Resort seems busy enough but haven't queued at all this week Laughing
snow conditions
Hardly ever a queue in the Grand Massif except Feb half term - and even then it's miminal if you avoid ski school start.
ski holidays
Returned last night from 8 days at les carroz. amazing conditions throughout, and was snowing hard when i left.
Pistes perfect plus lots of off-piste powder.
Gers bowl on Friday pm was as good as it gets.
V sad to be home
snow conditions
simo1234, Git Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad Laughing wink
snow report
The new 6 man chair is great. Much better than taking off the skis and standing in the DMC.

A few more lifts are planned in coming years
1/ a new chair to open up the area in Flaine above the slalom course and jam park
2/ replacement of Les Molliets chair lift with high speed 6 man
3/ replacement of the two slow two-man chairs from the Les Carroz/Molliets bowl to Tete de Sais with a single, fast six man
4/ a chair and piste to link the new Intrawest prporties into the Flaine ski area
snow conditions
5/ a 6or8 man to replace the old Chirande (sp?) lifts in Samoens, possible right to the top?
6/ rumour only, but from various sources of a link into Portes du Soleil from Verchaix (just outside Samoens/Morillion) up to Morzine... would still be a short bus ride, but would make it the largest linked area in the world I believe.
latest report
Quote:

6/ rumour only, but from various sources of a link into Portes du Soleil from Verchaix (just outside Samoens/Morillion) up to Morzine... would still be a short bus ride, but would make it the largest linked area in the world I believe.

i've heard that as well - i understand that it would link diectly into Les Gets area.

Also talk that an underpass may be built for traffic underneath the Les Carroz village centre (paid for by the developers of Flaine). Would make the drive to Flaine quicker and also possibly pedestrianise the square in Les Carroz
ski holidays
The other long term plan is a lift from Magland into the area, this may help with some of the traffic through les carroz going up to flaine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The other long term plan is a lift from Magland into the area, this may help with some of the traffic through les carroz going up to flaine.

I've also heard that. When Flaine was originally built in the 1960/70's, the road from the valley had not yet been built. The equipment and materials were carried up to the bowl via a cable car from Magland to the golf course - the remains of this can still be seen (in fact, the golf club pro shop is in the old station) and could be re-built. The other talk is that a furnicular could be built.

Overall, not too eager on these plans. it would mean more people on the mountain but less looking for accomodation!
ski holidays
simo1234, I agree - I was hoping for the link to Les Get being one way to keep the GM quiet snowHead
ski holidays
So - got back yesterday from an amazing finale weekend to an stupendous season. Powder day on Saturday. Blue skies and great snow yesterday. Awesome. This is our 4th season pass for the Grand Massif and this year we managed 38 days on snow - a record. Pouring over the piste map on the flight home, we think we have finally done every run in all resorts (apart from Sixt). Yesterday's highlight was Styx - brilliant (but tricky drag lift back up!).

stevo_the_saddler, we saw the 3 man (Chariande I) being dismantled for the last time ready for the new chairlift. Also, can't wuite work out how they will link Verchaix to Les Gets - is that actually possible? Very interesting! Very Happy
snow report
Freestyle, Is it definate on that one then? Or just coming down for maintenance?
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, There are various notices around about the closure of Chariande II - and the effect that has/will have on the little snack bar (only accessible -without hiking up- from the exit of Chariande II). Notices thank customers for their custom and explain the permanent closure....watch this space. Shame we can't see progress on the webcam eh?
snow report
Indeed. I am out in the summer so will pop up for a look.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, the info I have is that a 6 man cld chairlift (detachable), the chariande express was planned for completion in 2009. Guess I'll find out next year Very Happy
ski holidays
steve, Can't wait.... but I guess we will have to Confused
latest report
apologies for my ignorance but which i the Chariande?
ski holidays
simo1234, When you come up the GME Gondola from the village, straight across the flat bit as you heard off for Flaine etc., the Chiriande lifts are the 2 that take you up the Samoens area, very old and slow - and as ski school heads up the hill can get a bit busy. I think it is the one on the right? and am hoping it will head right up to the top meaning you can avoid the Croix 2 man horrible thing.
snow report
So basically it speeds up the Samoens-Flaine link?
Interestly, Les Carroz are also replacing their slow 2 man chairs with a fast six man in a year of two.

Across the whole area, good to see investment being made. The (few) bottlenecks should be eased.

Now who do we petition for heated seats on the chairlifts??
snow conditions
simo1234, It will ease congestion on the 2 slow lifts, only problem may be the top of Samoens which gets busy at the junction of all the lifts - not sure how to solve this other than extending the mountain snowHead Busy piste at one point is still preferable to slow lift or queues
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy