Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA / Canada - is it worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
hd wrote:
Many resorts make big noises in their 5am online snow reports about how much new has dumped each night

E.g. this morning's report from Big Mountain:

Quote:
36" of snow in the last 7 days. 8" of snow in the last 24. The snow just doesn't stop, its not going to stop, and frankly I don't want it to stop. The skiing has been so good since we opened. We have received 15 feet of snow this winter. I'm glad to be a part of this winter, that is for sure. It is still snowing in the village and there is more on the way. We have measurable snow in the forecast for the next 4 days. There seems to be another system coming in thursday into thursday night.

Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder

I don't know of any European resorts that advertise their amount of overnight new so enthusiastically.

(and ooohhh guess where I'm going in 14 sleeps... snowHead snowHead snowHead)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-01-08 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just found this thread. I would love to try Canada but I would be going on my own. All the resorts I have looked at seem only to cater for families or groups. The single supliments are often more that the original cost of the holiday. Has anyone any ideas or experience of going alone? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was away in Canada one year when I met someone who was travelling on their own. They often travelled to Canada from the UK with a tour operator, but left it very late until booking. She said this way she got good deals.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JP, not personally but I have friends who have gone/are going on their own. My advice would be to book it all independently. For Whistler I would use an owner direct website like Allura. If you go for a couple of weeks and/or off peak then it's good leverage when asking for a deal/discount. Find a bunch of properties that you like (and a studio would be perfect for one), send emails and negotiate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geetee, Cheers might just try that. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:

I disagree. East coast skiing is quite often icy hardpack. .

Much less often in Feb/March.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JP, book a flight via zoom and stay in a hostel last year I think I paid about £500 for 14 nights accomodation including a tri area lift pass every day for LL and sunshine etc etc

I am off to Jackson hole in less than 4 weeks and staying in a hotel 19 days in a nice hotel with a pool and my flights is coting me under £800 ! it can be done Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JP, probably not the best to advise on value trips, but both times I've gone skiing in Canada (Whistler) I have booked it all myself. Okay, the final cost was around £1500 (flights, transfers and accom, inc one night in Vancouver), but it could be done cheaper if you stay somewhere else and used Zoom instead of BA (I use all my money for holidays, so I splash out - having eaten dog food all year to save up...). Still, that was a bargain compared to what I would have paid via a TO (the same worked out at about £2000+ without the extra night in Vancouver and without the flight day flexibility).

Alternatively, let me know your dates - I'm always up for a trip to Canada, and it would save everyone single supplements!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Maybe, you'd probably know better than I. But you're never going to sell me the idea that East Coast skiing is in the same class as West Coast or Europe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster wrote:
abc wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Maybe, you'd probably know better than I. But you're never going to sell me the idea that East Coast skiing is in the same class as West Coast or Europe.

nobody ever say it is. that's the point. the point is not everybody wants or even needs "world class" skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah sure, that's why I mentioned that people might want to ski the East Coast for reasons other than pure skiing - culture, different atmosphere, etc. But it's absurd to say that on-piste conditions are pretty much the same in any resort (I think that's what you were saying earlier in this thread?). They're far from the same in my experience.

If we stick to the pure skiing experience, there's not a lot of point in people living in the UK crossing the Atlantic to ski the East Coast when there are so many World class resorts only a couple of hours away in Europe. Only the West Coast resorts offer a (different) skiing experience arguably worth the trip for the skiing alone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

there's not a lot of point in people living in the UK crossing the Atlantic to ski the East Coast when there are so many World class resorts only a couple of hours away in Europe.

I didn't exactly say there is (any point). But it was pointed out due to different holiday schedules for the two continents, it's actually CHEAPER to ski east coast of US than Europe, despite Europe being closer.

I think that's the point many people fail to understand.

From New York I can get to Utah in less time than I can to Europe. However, it's actually cheaper to ski in Europe during US school holidays (most of March). Sure, the snow is generally more reliable in Utah. But that's not always the ONLY purpose of a ski holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
Sure, the snow is generally more reliable in Utah. But that's not always the ONLY purpose of a ski holiday.

Snow is the main reason for me and I would guess most others on a dedicated ski forum like this. But I take your point, there are other factors.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the snow reports, Aspen definitely isn't worth it at the minute. They've only had 52" of snow in the last week.

...if only we were going there in 9 days time... snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster wrote:
abc wrote:
Sure, the snow is generally more reliable in Utah. But that's not always the ONLY purpose of a ski holiday.

Snow is the main reason for me and I would guess most others on a dedicated ski forum like this. But I take your point, there are other factors.

It's natural to make the assumption that most snowheads are dedicated skiers whose go on ski holidays mainly to ski. But if you look at the questions asked, I'm sure you realize that assumption is not always valid. Right in the middle of this thread, one snowhead pointed out skiing the US east coast is cheaper than skiing Europe during half term time! Did you notice the frequency of people asking about skiing in Bulgaria and such?

When I said snow is GENERALLY more reliable in Utah, there're sometimes exceptions. When someone make a last minute booking in the east coast (or Bulgaria for that matter), they could wait till snow condition was well established before commiting.

If everyone is ONLY skiing the best snow, there wouldn't have been as many ski resorts as there're all over the world. It's clear many, even dedicated skiers occsionally, go on holidays when skiing is only PART of the purpose instead of the SOLE purpose.
ski holidays
FERNIE is definetly worth it!..

that all im saying.. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
In Copper Mountain 2 years ago and Winter Park 10 years ago wonderful time however long flight and more expensive, we now go to France, good old VT does us fine sure snow, good slope side chalets etc. USA is a experience not to be missed, food very fatty and all burgers and chips so dont go if you hate that. However lots of supermarkets to buy fresh veg and fruit.
sking was the best, with 2 young children it was a great holiday and snow loads of it. Very cold but so is VT
good luck
ski holidays
KATHMCGREGOR wrote:
Very cold but so is VT

Presumably VT is short for Vermont? wink
snow conditions
abc wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
abc wrote:

It's natural to make the assumption that most snowheads are dedicated skiers whose go on ski holidays mainly to ski. But if you look at the questions asked, I'm sure you realize that assumption is not always valid. Right in the middle of this thread, one snowhead pointed out skiing the US east coast is cheaper than skiing Europe during half term time! Did you notice the frequency of people asking about skiing in Bulgaria and such?

When I said snow is GENERALLY more reliable in Utah, there're sometimes exceptions. When someone make a last minute booking in the east coast (or Bulgaria for that matter), they could wait till snow condition was well established before commiting.

If everyone is ONLY skiing the best snow, there wouldn't have been as many ski resorts as there're all over the world. It's clear many, even dedicated skiers occsionally, go on holidays when skiing is only PART of the purpose instead of the SOLE purpose.

I reckon you could get a job as tourist promoter for Glenshee Wink

The ONLY reason you would ski somewhere like Bulgaria is to save some money, which is undoubtedly a valid reason but not worthy of much debate. If Bulgaria was a 9 hour flight away from the UK and more expensive than skiing in France, Austria etc, people wouldn't be asking about it. But the main point of this thread was to discuss whether or not NA is worth the long trip and usually higher cost over the major European resorts. Presumably we were also discussing skiing as the main focus of the trip rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

But the main point of this thread was to discuss whether or not NA is worth the long trip and usually higher cost over the major European resorts.

"usually" but not always, as pointed out by others earlier in the thread.

Quote:
if Bulgaria is as expensive as France...

Well, "if" the snow in the east coast is as good as the Rockies... wink

Quote:
I reckon you could get a job as tourist promoter for Glenshee

Look...! Smile http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34556

I'm proud of my ability to search ou nitches both geographically and seasonalilty (currently reading the Scandinavia thread with interest). Very Happy

I've managed to ski many of the big expensive US resorts as a colleage student with very low expense, yet without missing much creature comfort. My advantage was my school had a different holiday schedule than the majority of other schools. One does have to be flexible AND think outside of the box.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy