Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES snow report 2007/08

Poster: A snowHead
Couloir is a french term for corridor, sorry if it isn't correct in english (I'm not english....) but I also have heard it from english people and in english reviews.....

How do you call this kind of things??? Puzzled rolling eyes Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
English skiers use the term Couloir too. Those tracks look incredible!

I still have 20 days to wait until I am in Pas, lets hope it keeps snowing snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker wrote:
English skiers use the term Couloir too.

Ah yes, but not crap ones like me! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Guide wrote:

The only problem for me is that due to bad timing (the snow that is) I will be too busy to ski as I will be at our town hall all day tomorrow for the Elections Municipal where I am honoured to be a member of l'equipe competing against our existing mayor.

Just a quick update for Superbagneres and Peyragudes. Heavy snow again yesterday afternoon with another 10cm of fresh stuff which has provided some of the best conditions of the season so far. snowHead snowHead

I would have loved to ski today but after only 3 hours sleep last night (we won the election Very Happy Very Happy ) I will have to give it a miss. Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone got any reports on the grandvalira region in andorra, is it skiing better after the snow last week or should I keep preying for more? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fukin fantastic 60 cm fresh powder 120cm at top
1meter at bottom
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cant wait now i am coming out on the 23rd is there any more snow forcast before then bring on the powder Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back from Andorra yesterday and conditions were excellent. Skied Arcalis on Monday, which was fully open and a pure delight, until a complete whiteout just after lunch sent me home early...and I was one of the last. Still, it made for a good day's powder hunting between the trees in Pal the next day. Pal is still missing a few slopes, but isn't far off the max. Went to El Tarter on Tuesday which again almost ended in a whiteout, but once that blew over, conditions were fantastic. Miles and miles of fresh stuff, especially up at the top, which was just a bit too windy for most. Even if warm temparatures between now and then, it looks like a good Easter is in store in Andorra.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Returned from a Weekend in Tavascan. Really hot, and finally sunny (some forecasts said probabilities of storm this past night).

There was a freeride event, saturday a derby (couple mixed) and today the freeride competition. Yesterday all the mountain and orientations were really transformed, and this past night the refrozen was significant. After did the hiking of the ridge and check the conditions, only S faces were in good condition (is an amateur competition...) the other were in a Be Nice please! ice/crud, and some iced bowls of yesterday's fusion... the organization decided to cancel the event for safety. So the people decided to hike 30minutes more and reach a nice and charged cornice south oriented that we kicked it and did a nice run to the top of the start, at this hour (14h) the zone was softened and we can try our lines...Nice spring snow, made 2 jumps and soft landings..... definitely, the organization made a good decision, and we did a better decision to hike a little bit more, really happy spring snow.

The problem is that in the Pyrenees there weren't enough snow, and apart from some special places as Tavascan, Ordino-Arcalís, or Baqueira, the other ones suffer a lot, and we need LOTS of snow. With the predicted drop in the temperatures we will have "perfect" ice rinks, so be quiet and safe, and make edges!!! Confused Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some photos of the event (the photos were taken by sml from http://www.xski.net, not mine, many thanks to the people who takes lots of photos)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/_sml/sets/72157604141925847/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlTom, Fab photos, you do need a bit more snow on the off piste though don't you? I hope it comes for you soon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Events like this always have a nice feel, and more in Tavascan, that only have 1 chair, 1run, and about edifications only have the refuge..... Really mountain friendly ambient. Make friends and meet with old ones....

More photos from other people....

http://personales.ya.com/dascha/surfzone/republikafreeride08/
http://masterofriders.blogspot.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just started snowing 2 minutes ago (15.48 fri the 21st March) in Bareges (French Pyrenees) and is doe to keep it up for the next 5 days on and off Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At least 10cm fell last night in Peyragudes, Baqueira and Superbagneres with more snow today and heavier snow forecast for tomorrow and Monday. It is beginning to look like the slopes will be perfect after the French Easter holidays finish which will give us empty slopes and great conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The yesterday dump was a MAJOR fail..... Nobody can explain the situation of yesterday, really crazy..... the men we are at miles to have enough knowledge about weather and it do it nice.. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
Sun in the mountains and snow in the coast Shocked Shocked Shocked ...... Now all turned a bit predictable and it seems that we are in a real N situation with normal winds, that means snow in the N pyrenees and NOTHING in the rest. For example it's snowing in Pas de la Casa and Ordino, and there is only clouds in andorra la vella.

At the moment the Western pyrenees were the most beneficiated but, after the wind turn to N the precipitation can increase. So tomorrow you can decide: ski with sun but old snow in the S face, or go to the N for ski in new snow but bad weather....I think I'll choose the 2nd one and go to Arcalís.

At the moment the biggest accumulations reach "only" 50-60cm in some N zones (I say only because the accumulations forecasted were heavier)
snow report
How crazy is this:

Fantastic dumps of snow over the last two days (between 30 and 50cm) but no chance of trying it out as both Superbagneres and Peyragudes are closed due to high winds (75K). With 10 guests expecting their first ski of the season today its pure hell...........................

Out with the sledges and on with the snow shoes.
ski holidays
We have 30cm in Bareges (1250m) and it is still snowing really hard. Yesterday we found 15-50cm off-piste, depending on the aspect, so today there must be well over 50cm fresh up there this morning. About to go and find out! One thing's certain - we'll be sticking to the trees because the visibility is next to zero! Shocked
ski holidays
Heavy snow continued all day today (though the lifts were closed), though the freezing level has climbed a couple of hundred metres with it now raining in the town. By mid afternoon there was at least 50 cm of dry snow down to 1000m and with the winds dying down for the morning, tomorrow could well be a little bit special (as long as we can still see of course).
snow report
Looking at the web cams, I would think you are going to have an amazing day!!

I'm in Pas on Sunday. Can't wait.
snow conditions
finally, yesterday dump was the season dump. Major problems in comunications due low snow level. the snow bring lots of snow in certain places as Ordino, or Tavascan.

Here you can see the meteofrance nivose, it's located not far away from tavascan, in couserans. The snowfall was step by step but without stopping,
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/obsHebdo.jsp?LIEUID=MONT_PAULA

The restort is closed now, but they will open this weekend, and will be the LAST of the season Sad Sad Sad .....

This data are aplicable also at Arcalís, due its orientation and altitude they normally receive similar amounts (in my experience). Arcalís will be open unitl 13th, so to weeks more!!!

This weekend will be perfect because the snow will be more stabilized than now, so more possibilites of do "nice things"

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-03-08 16:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Altom,

Is that right, Grandvalira will be closed all week? Until the weekend?
latest report
bar shaker, Wrong resort!! I'm just looking at the webcam on Soldeu Espiolets and it is definitely not closed, look for yourself.
http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/webcamespiolets2.asp?key=26
I'm quite sad I have become a webcam junkie rolling eyes but I'll get a fix next week when I get back up there Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks Dyp Embarassed

I'm also a web cam junkie but had read Altom's before checking Embarassed Embarassed

I'm also out there next week (Pas). Little Angel
ski holidays
The officialy closing date for ALL resorts in ANDORRA is Sunday 13th april.....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 25-03-08 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
AlTom, April ?
latest report
david@mediacopy wrote:
AlTom, April ?
edited wink wink
latest report
AlTom, I'm really happy that you've got a big dump to finish the season with. Happy skiing.
ski holidays
Out of interest, if it keeps snowing, do they extend the closing date? Does it open only at the weekends if there is still snow?

It would be crazy to close the whole resort network if there is 100cm of snow on the ground.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, I'm sure Baqueira closes this weekend, and like last year it has some of the best snow of the season so far....
snow report
It depends, in Andorra and Baqueira for sure they will close the exact date, because they're major resorts and need a lot of people to work. In andorra there're a big % of "international" workers and have the contracts closed (also the appartments, passports, etc etc) so no possibility to extend the season.

In baqueira EVERY year they close with big amounts of snow.

There're other little resorts that they will extend the season depending on the snow, normally Masella every year try to reach the 1st May (and normally it's possible). Some years ago Pas de la Casa did the same, but now with Grandvalira always close the expected date wink
latest report
I've often wondered with Baqueira why they don't keep a single sector open using 'local' staff if the snow conditions allow. That way they gain extra business at minimal cost.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
I've often wondered with Baqueira why they don't keep a single sector open using 'local' staff if the snow conditions allow. That way they gain extra business at minimal cost.
Me too, sectors as Argulls hold the snow really well, sure they can open the lower cabin to mid-mountain, the front side and Argulls, with a reduced ticket and less personal.
BUT, their really business is when the jet-set are in the valley: expensive hotels, expensive restaurants, expensive forfait, lot of teach, lot of money in the altitude restaurants.... not in april...

At this time of the season, the installations are only used for season pass holders and day-tripers or weekend tripers..... So not possible to sell a 45€ ticket, a 300€ night, etc....... I'm sure that if they open in this conditions they don't waste money, but not necessary for them. I think that Masella is the example, with only 3 lifts they can open a big amount of hight terrain, so less workers

But, in the Alps, the resorts that try to extend the season are those that have a summer season, as tignes, chamonix, val thorens, 2alpes (chamonix don't have summer ski season as it, but a lot of activity in the lifts in summer; and Val Thorens for its altitude april is a really good month), etc, and try to keep the people that works all year, but normally those ones that don't have summer activity don't do it.
snow report
AlTom wrote:
BUT, their really business is when the jet-set are in the valley: expensive hotels, expensive restaurants, expensive forfait, lot of teach, lot of money in the altitude restaurants.... not in april...

I think your right, they are focused on the upper end of the market. But they had a better snow park this year so maybe they are looking to a wider market.
snow report
Grrrrr!

Just checked the forecast. I'm heading out to Soldeu on Saturday. Sub-zero temperatures and snow until the day before I leave, when the temperature is forecast to shoot up to around 7 degrees and rain is forecast... Twisted Evil
snow report
skisimon, please, in spring more than 3-4 days is too much..... All models forecast different things so, wait a little....
ski holidays
Ei, it's snowing now!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The precipitacion finally reach all pyrenees (this morning was snowing only in the western part)........Praying for another 30-40cm more overnight..... This weekend will be amazing!!!
snow report
AlTom, And for once there seems to be no wind. Toofy Grin I can't get up until monday Confused
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Had a great day at Peyragudes today (130 top 100 base) in unexpected sunshine, though the day was cut short by a massive blizzard and white out from about 1430 with snow down to 1200 m. Snow still falling tonight on and off so tomorrow is going to be great as long as the temp doesn't rise too much and the snow turns to rain.

Superbagneres also closes on Sunday with some of the best conditions of the season, luckily for us Peyragudes will be open for another week.
latest report
AlTom, Crying or Very sad It takes all the fun out of being bitter and twisted in the run up to a holiday if I take into account the reliability of forecasting... wink I hope I learnt at least that much in all those meteorology lectures I went to... Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy