Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a resort for 6 week trip in the New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all - first post, so be gentle!

Looks like I will have some time off for six weeks or so starting after Christmas, so thought it would be rude not to spend it skiing!

Things I am looking to do:
Improve technique on piste
Learn how to ski (rather than repeatedly fall over) off piste
Not too far from airport so family/friends can come to visit
Big enough that I don't get bored
Find some decent accomodation at this late stage

Probably won't have a chance to ski for this long for a very long time, so willing to spend a bit of money to go somewhere good.

My thoughts so far....Zermatt, Chamonix, St Anton...

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zillertal? (Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach, Fugen, etc.)

Over 600Km of mainly intermediate pistse, but with a few harder ones and some off-piste. Not all lift linked, but all valley buses and the train are covered by the lift pass - which is 506 Euros for a season pass. 1 - 1.5 hours from Innsbruck, about another 45 mins from Salzburg

Or Ski Amade? (Alpendorf, Gastein and Bad Gastein, Schladming, Filzmoos, etc.)

Over 800Km pf piste, again, not lift linked, and you would probably want a car for getting between the areas covered in this one. Season ticket 430 Euros.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You want somewhere with either good public transport - Switzerland, or lots of places within easy reach by car - alex_heney, suggests Ski Amade and I agree, that would be ideal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
irishn, I second Ski Amade, its massive, the largest ski pass in Europe. You could even get the Super Salzburger Ski pass which includes even more and is worth every penny definatley worth a look. Salzburg is 45 mins away up the motorway and is served by cheap airlines. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info so far! Any other suggetsions?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The 3 Valleys.

Les Arcs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Base yourself in Bourg St Maurice and sample the Tarentaise and the Trois Vallees. Endless terrain and wide choice of instruction/guided off-piste. Two and a bit hours from Geneva/Lyon/Grenoble & a bit closer to Chambery airport, plus a direct train link to London. There are a few snowHeads who own apartments in town so they might be able to help you sort out accommodation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
irishn, you know, I'm biased, but Chamonix has to be in the mix (as you mentioned).

Accommodation needn't be expensive and I know some lovely apartments your family can stay in when they visit. Off piste ranging from the straightforward "normal" Vallee Blanche to the absolutely preposterous. Some of the most dramatic scenery in Europe. High enough (mostly >2,000m) that the snow quality should be good and with enough lower stuff that you can get down into the trees if the weather is a little mucky. Quite enough skiing to fill 6 weeks, especially once you start taking guides & heading off piste. Good nightlife, good restaurants...

I have to say, without having been there, Ski Amade markets itself as a family ski area. I am afraid that that doesn't get my blood racing. Chamonix's "Death Sport Capital of The World" sounds a little more adventurous IMO. Twisted Evil

I would certainly be making my decision based partially on the question, "If I don't go there now, will I ever go?"

Although to be honest, if I were you I'd drive over (even though I guess you have the Irish Sea to cross) and do a mini tour of classic European venues. Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt (just to see the Matterhorn), St Anton, Val d' Sloane Square, Les Arcs (just to see where Apocalypse Snow came from), etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
irishn, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd add another vote for ski amade!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome, Irishn.
My usual comment...

You don't necessarily need to limit yourself to Europe. Going to somewhere like Colorado or Utah, you could stay in one area and visit several resorts (and maybe do weekend trips to places like Jackson Hole.

...the drawback being that it's not a short flight for your friends to come and visit, but if it's likely that you won't get the chance again, I'd certainly not rule it out.

(end of my usual rant)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
irishn,
I guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend etc. To add to the mix I would suggest Serre Chevalier, the area itself is reasonably extensive, there is great off piste that is not too difficult. The season lift pass gives you several days at Les Deux Alpes, Milky Way, Puy St Vincent & Alpe d'huez. You can get over to La Grave to up the ante on the off piste a bit. It is reasonably priced by French standards. It is easily accessible from Turin and not to bad from Lyon or Grenoble and possible from Geneva or Marseille .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great responses - thanks very much.

Chamonix has the advantage that I can improve my French as well as my skiing, and it does have more of a proper town feel to it. Only downside is usually having to get a bus to the lifts.

Don't know Ski Amade at all, so will definitely do some research considering numerous thumbs up.

Val D'Isere also quite tempting as I have some friends there.

Thanks again....

Off to Verbier this evening for the weekend, so will report back with latest conditions tomorrow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flangesax wrote:
Quote:

I second Ski Amade, its massive, the largest ski pass in Europe.

Sorry to disagree, the Dolomiti Superski area has 1200km of piste (compared to 860km in Ski Amade) and 450 lifts spread over the Italian Dolomites on one pass, season pass costs 590 euros if bought before 22/12, has plentiful cheap flights into Venice, Verona or Innsbruck. You probably would need a car to make the most of the different areas as they are not all lift- or bus-linked, though the fully linked area centred on the Sella Ronda resorts must be 500km of pistes.
The area is an intermediate's paradise with enough challenges if you want to seek them out.
Hope this helps
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
6 weeks..?? I'd do a road trip in Switzerland or rather base it round the train. I'd fly into Zurich and head south taking in places like Wengen, east to Flims/Laax, Davos, St M, maybe..then to Zermatt and the Rhone valley to Verbier and then out through Geneva.

If Austria was your choice I fly in or out of Zurich to get to St A, Ischgl, Obergurgl and over to the Ski Welt and Sallbach, flying back from Muncih probs...

Or if you reall want to make it easy and limit the bus rides to a valley , then rob@rar's suggestion of around BSM takes some beating. So many large resorts to take advantage of. If you took a car, then even better, but you could spend the day on the post bus moving between resorts as you'll need a few off days...

I hope to do a mini trip here this year.

I would keep things flexible so you can take adavantage of the weather and of any offers thatb come your way, as you are bound to meet people with things going on....

I wouldn't rule out Serre C either...and you can post on here asking who is going to be where and meet up... and some of the valleys have SH communities anyway.....

I'd spend the next week or so planning to where and then just go... JAn isn't likely to give you too many probs with Accom...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
irishn, we spent 6 weeks skiing last year - we stayed in several places as we felt 2 weeks max in one resort is enough. We did Val Thorens, Zermatt, Verbier and Courchevel. It's easy enough to move around if you have a car...
snow conditions
irishn, I've done five weeks in Soll in one season, split into a two week then three weeks. I found it became a bit boring after week three. If I had six weeks I think I would do three resorts in three different Country's or the ultimate would be to jump in a car, and let the snow decide.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy