Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! Blade advice please.....(don't hit me!)

Poster: A snowHead
Love the forum, congrats all round!

I'm an intermediate skiier, but looking to go blading this season. Can anyone help me with the size issue please?

Most I see are around the 99cm mark, but I've seen a set about 90cm local to me which I could save the postage on. Any thoughts on how the extra 10 cm might effect the blading experience? Should I go as long or as short as possible?!

Sorry to post about blades, feel free to tell me to sod off....hee hee Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zetecmk1, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Someboby hit him wink
It's amazing how you can save on postage with the use of a hacksaw. Laughing
I'd go for the 99's, a lot more versatile.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zetecmk1, graeme will be along in a minute to tell you that they're called 'skiboards' because blades are only made by Salomon. This is a bit like refusing to call a hoover a hoover because it's made by Electrolux, but he seems to think it important.

If you're lucky he might give you some useful advice when he's finished. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Break it to her gently.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zetecmk1, Welcome to snowHead.
Go for the 99cm ones. 9cm makes a lot of difference on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zetecmk1 wrote:
feel free to tell me to sod off

OK then, sod off Toofy Grin

I'd say to go as long as possible, preferably to about 170cm. Don't worry about blades being a Solomon registered name. If you follow my advice then you'll find that calling them "skis" will do just fine.

Seriously though, the longer baldes will give you a bit more stability and be generally more useful if you are planning on using them in a variety of terrain as they are wider too. If you fancy going into limited powder on them, then it is possible but you'd better be pretty spot on with your balance. Some of my most comical falls were done attempting to go off piste on 99cm Salomon Minimax blades; sometimes OK but more usually the tips dug in and I came to a very abrupt stop and measured my length in the soft stuff. Getting up without poles in that situation is a bit of a challenge too.

And finally, welcome on board. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, still have those Fischers?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Some of my most comical falls were done attempting to go off piste on 99cm Salomon Minimax blades

LOL! I feel your pain! I have the 99cm Minimax Snowblades which I use for the odd day just for a bit of variation. I can't imagine wanting any shorter than that though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arf!

Such wit!

ok, so that's 2 for the long ones I take it. Don't get me wrong, I love skiing, but just fancied doing something a little different plus I could shove 'em in old suitcase couldn't I?

Jeez, decisions decisions! Just how different could 9cms be?! I don't notice it on skis.....160 - 170 carvers all feel the same to me.

Nobody's hit me yet either.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zetecmk1 wrote:
Just how different could 9cms be?! I don't notice it on skis.

10%, like a 160 compared to a 176.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zetecmk1, few Snowheads will tell you to go short, becoz most of them are biased against blades/skiboards/sawn-offs/whatever-we-are-calling-them-today. What I would say is this: if you've done plenty of skiing and are looking for something truly different then (a) good for you; and (b) pick the shorter one. Why? Becoz it will be more "different" than what you are used to and will fit in your luggage easier.

The 99 may well be a bit more versatile/all-mountain but is that what you are looking for? Go short for the full blade-experience! Both 90 and 99 cms will be fairly ropy off-piste unless they are real fatties - what models are you looking at? I've taken mini-skis off-piste and they were okay, but they are basically a halfway house between blades and full-length, about 120-130 cms long. Anything under one metre will need to be wide to be real fun off-piste, as opposed to merely funny-ha-ha-I've-fallen-over-again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, yup, still have them, but haven't used them in a few years.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zetecmk1, Why bother with Blades when you can do so much more with Skis Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want something different get some tele skis. Plus you get to stop shaving & washing wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tele-blades!!!! Now there's a thought Toofy Grin
snow report
FenlandSkier, yep, you learn the meaning of preload pretty quick. Also 'over the handlebars'.

Otherwise, works quite well, much recommended.
ski holidays
zetecmk1, .... welcome to snowHeads .... snowHead

.... not sure about Salomons ..... Gillette are normally the best ...... Toofy Grin
snow report
BernardC, wait 'til next year: 7 edges per foot!
latest report
zetecmk1, please don't hit me! Wink Get some skis and enjoy some control. Wink

BernardC, Laughing
ski holidays
Goddammit!

I have skis! Arf!

Not giving up on them, but when you been as many times as I have there comes a time for a change.

THE ICE PERV - thanks for the input man, thinking of going short now wink

Will use the skis in the afternoons maybe, and blades in the mornings when the piste is fresh.

Anyway Spyderman, when can you do with skis that you can't with blades out of interest? It is only off piste?
latest report
zetecmk1, when it's icy.
snow report
BernardC wrote:
Gillette are normally the best ...... Toofy Grin

The best a man can get. Aparently.
zetecmk1 wrote:
Can anyone help me with the size issue please?

As I'm consistently told. Size isn't the most important thing. It's what you do...
snow report
zetecmk1, Ice, Powder, Breakable Crust, Off-piste, Slush. All equals you're gonna die. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Cobblers! You can ski blades on ice! Just think of them as wide ice skates..... on a sloping rink..... or something..... Very Happy Powder not good tho, I'll give you that Spyderman.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy