Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Satellite/quiet resorts with less queueing

Poster: A snowHead
If you're looking for a ski resort that offers its own charms, and an escape from the madding crowds, this article from the Daily Mail by Felice Hardy (co-editor of the Good Skiing Guide) is useful.

It covers six resorts in France, Italy, Switzerland, Canada, Utah and Austria as follows - respectively - St Martin de Belleville (linked into 3 Vallees, near Les Menuires), San Cassiano (in the Dolomites), Champex Lac (near Verbier), Red Mountain (British Columbia) and Zug (near Lech, also with access to St Anton by bus).

Some of the above are linked into the major lift systems of their neighbours, giving you the best of both worlds.

If anyone has recommendations of other resorts of this type, it would be interesting to read them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in St Martin de Belleville the week before Christmas once. Lovely place, real Savoyard village, quick link into 3V, would definitely recommend it to people looking for traditional appeal and are happy to pass on night life...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This sort of info is really usefull. A list of smaller places and where they link into (or are near) would a great resource..........a definate sticky. I

nfact an idea would be for someone if they could get a screen sized map of each of the main areas and highlight (really well) the main/major resorts so we get an idea of geography. Once i've moved house i'll offer to give it a go..........most of the maps i've seen don't have the detail of "here is a ski resort"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Les Contamines is a beautiful smallish ski area, but with reasonable variety, nestling under Mt. Blanc. The village is definitely quiet. It's quite a short ride to St Gervais which is bigger and livelier and which links into the much larger Megève lift system.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about Vaujany which links into the Alpe d'Huez ski area at high level via a large, fast cable car. Mind you Vaujany has no real skiing of it's own - it's just a quiet place to stay away from the hordes in Ad'H.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just across the valley is a similar village, a few hundred metres below 2 Alpes, linked by cable car (7 mins) - Venosc. Cobbled streets, old farms, ancient fountains. Who says there are no villages with genuine charm in the French Alps! There are any number, once you start to look beyond the tour operators' brochures...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or the original lower villages now incorporated into the La Plagne complex. Champagny en Vanoise is definitely a satellite. Montchavin, Montalbert and Les Coches are slightly more integrated but retain village characteristics. But be careful - they range from 1250-1450m and are much less snow-sure than the purpose built parts of La Plagne.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samnaun: A Swiss duty free enclave that links into the Ischgl Silvretta ski area in Austria. Samnaun itself is a bit of an oddity - markets itself as " 50 duty free shops and no airport". No real village atmosphere, but an excellent hotel (Post). Lift system links into Ischgl via the world's first double decker cable car - built to accommodate all the skiers from Ischgl who come across to buy their duty free during the day, so plenty of spare capacity to get up the mountain first thing. From a skiing perspective, the advantage of being based in Samnaun is you are going in the opposite direction to the main traffic flow. In the afternoon queues build up on links to get back to Ischgl - if you are coming the other way, it's no problem. Also has much better runs back to the village than Ischgl
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samoens, Les Carroz or Morillon all linked into the Grand Massif ski area but much much nicer than Flaine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh I wish i was off somewhere soon Crying or Very sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many of the satelite villages are 1 bar specials, but if night life is home made then:
Ardent gets you into the Portes du Soleil very quickly, and is between Morzine and Chatel. Peisey-Nancroix between La Plagne and Les Arcs is great for both these resorts.
On a bigger scale I have enjoyed Vaujany for Alpe D'Huez, Les Carroz for the Grand Massif, Champoluc for Monte Rosa, Montchavin for La Plagne,La Tania for Courchevel/Meribel.
Prices seem reasonable, theft is rare and the lifties are invariable friendly and welcoming Madeye-Smiley Its hard to go wrong Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Allos in the southern alps! Out of the way for even the french, but nice, on a fairly small scale. Easy to get to from nice,about a 2 hour drive from the airport, prices reasonable and out of french half term you can basically have it to yourself!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many years ago, stayed in a tiny Italian resort near Milan, MERA--our hotel could only be reached by chairlift from the village: I met some young Italians last summer in the Balearics, who said they have skied there too---and even further back--when I was a child, we skied in Austria, in LOFER---and I went back there 2 years ago with my grown -up son, and fell in love with the place! (no queing at all) ---hope to go there again soon--on a long weekend or a week in early or mid January ---staying in hotel right on the piste--anyone want to join?? Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One could almost make a business out featuring small resorts that hook up with their bigger brothers. David I skied San Cassiano 25 years ago with Supertravel - I hope it is still the same. St Martin de Belleville - always a favourite lunch stop on a day tour from Courchevel 1850. We often go ski-ing to Haute Nendaz in Valais Switzerland which makes up part of the 4 Valleys with Verbier. Have been going there since 1986!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Saisies is my top tip, french resort, awesome snow even though its low due to being on a col (read snow trap). Linked to Crest Voland by lift and about 10 mins to N D de Bellcome by car then you can ski into Mont Blanc pass territory (Praz, Megeve, St Gervais etc)

Pretty resort, low rise, trees for the bad weather and good place for beginners/Intermediates...never had bad snow in 6 visits.

Cheers,

David
ski holidays
skinutter, welcome to snowHeads!

I've been to Les Saisies a few times. I have mixed feelings about the place. By implication, you suggest there's not much in the way of steeps, moguls, off-piste opportunities. I think you'd be right. On the other hand, there are some longish blues and reds where you can let rip, and there's ample areas for beginners. There are quite a few pistes that are very rolling. I was there one day after heavy snow when nothing had been bashed: it was impossible to build up enough momentum on the downslopes to get over the next rise -- very frustrating!

Not impressed by the big restaurant at the top of the main hill (Panoramique?), but they do great omelettes at the restaurant at the bottom of that hill.

You're right about the reliable snow.
snow conditions
I have stayed also in the past stayed at Haute Nendaz which gives you excellent access to the 4 Valleys>Verbier . Thouroughly recommended.Also Veysonnaz is an excellent location
latest report
Very Happy @ Laundryman....

So right after a heavy storm it can be hard to get going on a couple of runs. when we were there last year we have over a mtr of new snow in 2 days and 2 green runs you really couldn't move but on others its excellent for safe off piste to polish technique.

Le Beneton is a decent restaurant over the otherside, i havent been in the Panoramique, they do an awesome tartiflette NehNeh

They leave the gates out on a couple of the reds too which is usually fun, unless you wipe out at terminal velocity infront of the guy drilling in some new poles adjacent to the run you are on rolling eyes embarassing or what, my excuse was the deep snow....

David
snow report
Agree with comments re Les Contamines. No, wait change that - it's rubbish, dont' go (there, that will keep the crowds away!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy