Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completing the turn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Megamum wrote:
For some reason I keep reading this thread as contemplating the turn.

I know that feeling!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
FastMan, Thanks for picking up on this. My problem, when the slope is steep and my nerve is failing, is to 'over-complete' the turn so that I end up skiing uphill, which results, inevitably, in difficulty initiating the next turn.

Hurtle, without seeing first hand what's going on, I can only speculate, but a couple thoughts come to mind. I suspect your fear may be causing you to do considerable breaking all through the arc, so when you get toward the end of your turn little momentum remains to take you across and up the falline,,, thus the quick stall.

Get back to easier, non intimidating terrain and refine your ability to start your turns with no tail pushing/pivoting, and to flow through your turn while creating/experiencing little resistance. Get comfortable with the acceleration that happens when you're in the middle (falline/apex) portion of your turns, and learn not to attempt to squelch it. See how far you can turn/travel uphill at the end of your turns before reaching the inevitable stall. Then stop upon stalling, turn yourself downhill, and try it again. Keep trying to improve your result, removing as much as the momentum killing braking as possible.

Now link these improved uphill competed turns, delaying as long as you can your transition into a new turn. See how close you can get the transition to the stall. You'll quickly learn where the line is where your speed is just high enough to barely carry you through your transition and into the new turn without completely stalling. Practice will teach, and your body will come to instinctually know when it's time to transition.

From there, just keep taking baby steps up in slope steepness, repeating the above training drills, and continuously gaining comfort and confidence in performing these skills/drills on more and more difficult terrain.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 24-11-07 1:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier some time ago Hugh Jarse and I were debating whether the rolling carpet would even allow (Fastman's term) 60 degree turns say let alone 90 degree turns. What do you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex wrote:
NewSkier some time ago Hugh Jarse and I were debating whether the rolling carpet would even allow (Fastman's term) 60 degree turns say let alone 90 degree turns. What do you think?

Would carry you right up the carpet, wouldn't it?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Motor driven Crossunder snowHead Twisted Evil snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For me the essence of finishing a turn is that you not only turn the direction that the skis are pointing in, you also change the direction that they are travelling in, ie no matter how you've turned them, at the end of the turn the edges have to be engaged with minimal (none!) side slipping. It may be that to get to this point you've skidded round, or carved round, that's not so important, but unless you have managed to engage your edges at some point, and change the actual direction that you're travelling in, so that once again the skis are travelling forward along their edges, then you've not actually finished the turn that you started.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastMan,
Quote:

fear may be causing you to do considerable breaking all through the arc

Thank you so much, once again. This is ringing bells and I shall proceed as you suggest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FastMan, this is getting uncanny and unnerving - I would have said the same thing (in different words) if I had been online!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski,
Quote:

this is getting uncanny and unnerving - I would have said the same thing

I had better refrain from comment at this point, otherwise I shall get nuked again! I am indebted to you both. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastMan,
Quote:

I refer to turns in degrees to the falline at completion. The falline represents 0 degrees. Completing a turn just barely out of the falline would be, say, a 10 degree turn. Completing a turn with the skis pointing perpendicular to the falline (straight across the hill) are 90 degree turns. Once a student understands the concept, its a great way to provide prompts that encourage them to experiment with different turn shapes. "OK, lets make some 30 degree turns (yikes, fast!),,, or,,, OK, lets try some 110 degree turns (finish uphill).

Thank you for that description - very understandable - not quite a light-bulb moment but almost.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, cannot agree with that. I can sort of see that you're after, I think, but only because of a very strong pre-existing idea of what you might mean. Reading that is very likely to confuse the issue of 'What is being turned?' and obviate the good v8 did with his picture:

from the Skiing Myth #4 = Face down the hill / Stand square to the skis thread

the left hand turn is complete to about 60 degrees the right hand turn is complete to about 80 degrees. Notice that the CoM is not substantially differently redirected in either one. Hence confusion to a new reader upon encountering your post.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy