Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many more weeks of ski school do you recomend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
666 wrote:
Christopher, which resorts have you been to ?

Ive been to Montgenevre and ive fell in love with the place and ive booked us a holiday there this christmas.I thought the instructor was actually rather good, but the group i was in didnt progress as quickly and i didnt want to move up so soon. Hopefully be in a class where i will be more stretched that will be more exciting for myself.

Thanks for the advice. I have had a "heated" conversation with my father, but im going into lessons this year. I might try and worm some private lessons out of him.

When i say my technique is rather good. I imagine it is nothing in comparison to very goos skiiers and many on this forum. But for a 1st week on snow and the majority of others it was rather good. Ive been told i ski very natuarally, whether that was a false statement or not i dont know.

I'd love to be able to ski off piste one day. I want to progress my skiing to improve my turns and increase control on reds/blacks. I love the adrenaline rush and do want to become a rather good skiier. Just for self ambition, im not very good many things but skiing is certainly one of them.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-11-07 11:46; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, good luck, and keep at it! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher wrote....."Just for self ambition, i not very good many things but skiing is certainly one of them. "....Your impression of a chinese man is good too. Quick check for understanding here...you have skied for 1 week and you are certainly good at it...or was that a grammar glitch...from what I can see here you will go far within BASI especially when they need to re write the Alpine Manual.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, with a different group of students you may well have a much better experience anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, Good Luck .. and enjoy.

krunchie63, Come on back off , he's obviously young. Your impression of an arrogant instructor is quite good as well wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre wrote:
Christopher, Good Luck .. and enjoy.

krunchie63, Come on back off , he's obviously young. Your impression of an arrogant instructor is quite good as well wink
....I know...I am sorry I was being mean...but I didn't believe these comments were for real....anyway it's good to prepare for the big bad world and getting a bit of gentle abuse from me can only make him stronger. I don't mind you calling me arrogant - I take it as a compliment, thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, ESF are a good bunch of instructors (well they were for us lot!) We were complete beginners last December and have since been in April and are going again this Christmas - I think lessons are a must but if you get bored, your instructor(s) is/are rubbish or the group is not suited to your ability, therefore go for private ones - they're not that much more expensive and if you can split the cost, so much the better. My husband had a few private lessons in April coz he didn't get on too well in December and the difference in his skiing was amazing! We're still all taking lessons this year and next year we'll probably take private ones coz we all want to progress to red/black runs (in safety!!) So, stick with lessons!!! Good luck!! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christopher,

rob@rar wrote:
My biggest regret in skiing is that I stopped lessons after just a few weeks of ski school as a teenager. I then spent years perfecting my bad habits which hindered my progress a great deal

Very very much agree with that.

I have skied from the age of 5. I had lessons (1 week a year) until the age of 12/13. I found them really boring so stopped having any.
That was a bad mistake because of two reasons:
- the next level up would have invloved race training/techniques and I realise now how much fun that would have been.
- as per Rob@rar, all those bad habits I had, have hindered further progress since then. I am still a fairly competent/confident skier but progressing now will be twice as hard because my technique is often not that good/precise. And it's soooo hard to kick off bad habits..

So if it is not a financial issue, defo continue with lessons and maybe find a new school.

The fun of the lesson is a lot to do with the instructor. As a 9/10 year kid, I had ski lessons with ESF (i'm french by the way..) in Val D'. In the 2nd day. I crashed and as I was last in the "queue", nobody noticed. I got up as quick as I could and tried to catch up but never found the group again. Spent the next 2 hours skiing by myself (great fun!! snowHead ). When I told my parents, they were understandably not impressed and confronted the instructor who said it was not true etc... The next day (after my parents were gone) she accused of being a liar in front of all the group... Evil or Very Mad
The next few days were hell and that probably did play a part in me not liking lessons...
So all that to say that the personnality/talent of the instructor as an educator is mighty important and you might be lucky somewhere else and love the lessons! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Surprisingly I'm with you on this one and will add my voice to the bully boy chant, Saint or Nutter? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
krunchie63,
Quote:
Christopher wrote....."Just for self ambition, i not very good many things but skiing is certainly one of them. "....Your impression of a chinese man is good too. Quick check for understanding here...you have skied for 1 week and you are certainly good at it...or was that a grammar glitch...from what I can see here you will go far within BASI especially when they need to re write the Alpine Manual.

If you're going to correct others on their English, you're deluded as well as racist.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges,
Quote:

If you're going to correct others on their English, you're deluded

So true......erm, if you've a spare moment, you couldn't just nip along to the Warneford and round up a couple of docs and an ASW to deal with me, could you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you feel willing to try more lessons I'd say go for privates, IMHO you'll get much better value and attention to your particular areas of weakness.

Lessons aren't everyone's thing I guess but I'm convinced you can't progress beyond a certain level without having them (or some form of coaching), after all you'll find many, if not most, advanced and expert skiers do regular coaching and training. I'm unconvinced by people who say they had a handful of lessons and then learnt to ski brilliantly by imitating people they saw on the slopes, I just don't think it's possible and frankly from personal experience I know I'm not the best judge of my skiing - I don't pick up on all my strengths and weaknesses because I can't see myself ski.

Many people (particularly blokes in my experience) rather overestimate their abilities and whilst they think their skiing is excellent to a trained independent observer it's anything but. A good instructor is trained, and hopefully experienced enough, to pick up on these 'weaknesses', give you advice, exercises and drills to counter them and leave you a better skier.

However if you're happy with the way you ski and think it's great you may be happy sticking with the place you're at. I've noticed many skiers form the UK are perfectly happy with their level of skiing once they reach a reasonable intermediate stage and who am I to say they're wrong! All I can say is I wouldn't have been happy skiing like that for the rest of my time on the hills and I enjoy getting some coaching when I'm away along with the feeling that I'm still expanding my technique; at home I top this up with regular training on dry Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy