Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
Were off Sat lunchtime, brand new K2 Recons at the ready - cant wait Smile

Does anydoy know if its still possible toski back to Peisey village ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BernardC, any idea what the snow is like now as i want to do it tomorrow, Sat. Pity you did not make it over to Val Thorens we have had great snow there as well. Hope to catch up in Les Arcs if you are around.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great snow on north facing slopes even after a few days since the last snow fall. Most off piste is skied out unless you want to walk, but there are still places with good snow to be found. The pistes today were in excellent condition early on, getting icy later in the day. Skiing down to all stations is possible, even the half way stage of the funi. Tomorrow promises to bring more sun, I hope with no fog. Even more great places to ski just waiting for us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tuesday was an amazing day, blue sky and plenty of off piste to ski. We had a great day with good snow on the back of Aiguillle Rouge. Wednesday was not so great, poor vis all day. A little snow, but not enough to change anything. The best skiing was in the forests. It is great that Les Arcs has so many of them. Tomorrow we hope to be on an off piste tour, but let's wait and see what the weather does before we get to excited.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thursday has not brought any snow but it was a great off piste day. Blue sky, cold temp and not much wind. From the top of the Grand Col to Peisey (including bus ride), great trip down all sorts of snow, some crust, crud and then powder of sorts more like spring snow but really nice to ski. This was follwed by a quick break then over the top of the grand col again and down to villaroger. More great snow all the way down to where it gets the sun, then monster moguls to the track out at the bottom.Great trips, well worth the hikes. They now say the snow will come tomorrow. Let's hope so!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds great out there and so much snow to come! Sitting here waiting for our ferry to depart from Portsmouth with a torrid week's work now behind me. Wayhay!!! Slopes by Saturday lunch time and a possibility of fresh tracks on day one of a holiday - priceless
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, were are you getting your internet access? is there any free wifi connection in arcs available? if so were?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New snow last night - about 10cm, I guess, more promised for Sunday evening/Monday. Also, forecast to get a lot colder tonight - -19C during the night!
andybabes, free internet access at La Vache resto in Plan Peisey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A quick lunchtime update: conditions are lots of fun. Snowed over night and light snow all morning. Below the tree line great skiing to be had, poor visibility higher up. About 20cm of fresh, more in some places (such as Malgovert). Fuller report tonight, but a couple of pics now:

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Looks great Sad Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What fab pictures Rob... It looks amazing. Hope you have a great time (and I expect you are!!!!!!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham wrote:
Hope you have a great time (and I expect you are!!!!!!)

Need a nodding smiley smiley! Fun today, back to shadowing tomorrow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, This sum it up Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 2-02-08 14:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, nice. I felt like that around Malgovert this morning. Hoping visibility will lift a bit this afternoon to open up some other areas for finding fresh tracks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Did Comborciere this year (loved it Cool ) but we got to it by the Clocheret lift so we never got near Malgovert run. I hear horror stories of it?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
never got near Malgovert run. I hear horror stories of it?

It's brilliant.
ski holidays
A fuller report from today. It started to snow last night at about 10pm, with about 15cm falling at Arc 1800 overnight. It continued to snow lightly all day, adding another 5cm perhaps. In places where the snow was deposited by the wind it was maybe 30-40cm deep, but those bits weren't that frequent (the Malgovert area being the best that we skied today). Visibility was poor this morning when above the tree line, so we stayed around the Peisey trees first thing then headed to the Malgovert and Mont Blanc later in the morning. There was lots of cut up powder on piste, with the odd icy patch showing through where the snow had been swept away.

This afternoon continued with light snow, but with improved visibility and odd glimpses of the sun. We did some pitches which face the sun and they had a firm (and somewhat icy) base with a nice layer of fresh - perfect "hero snow" Smile It's still snowing now and the temperature is beginning to drop. The forecast for tomorrow is cold and blue skies. Nice!

Some more photos from today:

An igloo sculpture adorns the main street in Arc 1950 - they always seem to have something to look at as you walk (or ski) down the "high street".

Fresh tracks when the visibility improved.

Having fun in Malgovert
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Not entirely sure what Piste Alpina is, but I think it might be a speed trap sponsored by Alpina Savoie (dairy products IIRC).

Went to find the Piste Alpina today, and it is indeed a small speed trap to see how quick you go. Of interest to little kids only I'd say, given how flat it is there.
ski holidays
Good weather today, blue skies and not as cold as forecast. The only downside was it was a bit windy from time to time - although we didn't head up high where it looked more than a bit windy. Had a bit of a blast first thing to warm up for (my brother-in-law's) lesson with New Generation, and found perfect piste conditions. Good grippy snow, well prepared and nobody around for the first hour or so. Very nice. This photo especially for butterfly who will be skiing there (the area at the top of the Vallanry & Grizzly lifts) in a couple of weeks. It was looking very nice there today:

The resort felt much busier today, with some piste intersections looking quite busy, and the first (short) lift queues of the season. Although the easily accessed off-piste is largely tracked out, but there is still nice pitches of soft, cut-up snow to find near the pistes:

My brother-in-law's lesson with John Thomas of New Generation in Vallandry went very well, with a good mixture of on-piste technique development and then using those skills in a bit of gentle off-piste. John is a great instructor - well worth booking if you are looking for a private lesson in Les Arcs.

After lunch in the Flying Squirrel (top burger, sitting on the balcony with great views across to La Plagne Smile) we headed to Vallon des Rosset (sp?) for a bit of gentle off-piste. The snow was either wonderful or wind-blown crust. Fresh tracks all the way down as very few people had done the route since yesterday's snow. Tricky to ski on the exposed ridges which were crusty, but hugely enjoyable nevertheless. We didn't see anyone else until we reached the bus stop down at Nancroix. It's a great route, with fabulous views down the valley and up to the North face of Bellecote.

ski holidays
rob@rar, some more great pictures, brought back good memories of our trip down the same off-piste route a couple of weeks ago! Did you catch the fallen tree, this time?
I went round my favourite area around Varet bubble, today - Dou de l'Homme, Les Cretes, Robert Blanc etc. - all in great condition, marvellous on ze bumps, good off-piste, even though it was well tracked by the time I arrived.
I then headed up Comborciere lift, and tried some more off-piste between Malgovert & Comborciere. I was amazed how wind-blown & crusty it was, though enjoyable, all the same. The wind seemed to be funnelling up the valley from Italy direction, though Deux Tetes was excellent on piste.
I finished off skiing through the woods back to Peisey, it was absolutely fantastic down there, the best runs of the day, and perfect powder, well sheltered from the winds.
ski holidays
fj, yes, it was another good trip down there. I ducked under the tree this time Smile I'm off to Courchevel for a couple of days then back to London otherwise it would be good to meet up. Are you skiing with snowcrazy this week? I saw him last night and he seemed to have some good stuff planned for the week (probably a bit too much for me, if truth be told).
ski holidays
rob@rar,

so from no Vallon to three times in as many weeks. I am sooooo jealous.

And is Will still at the squirrel? - I know there were some questions last time we spoke. PM me if any info is on a 'need to know only' basis...

Got friends over in our place for the Feb half term, but Michael and I (plus les femmes et les petites) are back at Easter. Are you around? It would be great if conditions were good enough to be able to try some of those January routes again...
ski holidays
JimW, yes he's still there, but he was skiing today so I didn't get to see him.

It's a great route, not sure why I've not done it before this season, but I'm trying to make up for that!

Jane and I are out for her 'Easter' holiday, but that doesn't coincide with the bank holiday this year - we're here for a week from the 8th April. Does that coincide with you?

When I get back to London I'll email you the photos I took when we skied together a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
More great pics Rob.
I need some lessons .... presumably though John will be fully booked in half term weeks?.. and will I need a mortgage to pay for private lessons?
Think we will be out the same week as you in April if Jane fancies a ski - or maybe meet up for a meal?
latest report
jayne durham, he might be. I'll PM you his email and mobile so best to get in touch and ask him. If John and his colleagues are booked you could ask snowcrazy if he has any recommendations for ESF guys.
ski holidays
rob@rar, thanks for the picture - hope it looks that great in 2 weeks time!

jayne durham, you mention half term - are you there 16-23rd? I was beginning to think I'll be the only SH that will be in the region that week. Wondering whether to bother putting my shiny new SH sticker on my shiny new helmet!
latest report
Quote:

Wondering whether to bother putting my shiny new SH sticker on my shiny new helmet!

Butterfly, Be a devil - you know you want to!!
ski holidays
Megamum, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pictures!

What time to the lifts start up? I'm curious how early you have to be to get all this great snow.
ski holidays
mdemon2, about 9.15. Sometimes it helps to be on the first lift, sometimes it's just luck, sometimes it's knowing where to go. For me it's mostly just luck Smile
snow conditions
Just back from les arcs - had a great week untill day 5 when for some stupid reason decided to venture into the park and subsequently broke my collar bone Sad currently sat at home using one fingure typing !!!

Still on the plus side we had 4 and a half great days did pretty much all the runs including Malgovert & Comborciere - Malgovert was aweful trying to avid the rocks Shocked

Thats my skiing finished for this year Sad Sad
snow report
Lunch time update - Monday 4 Feb
It started snowing mid-morning here in Les Arcs and now it's snowing quite hard. Visibility is really poor; so no photos like Rob's from yesterday. Not too cold and no wind as was the feature yesterday. The pistes are getting busy and there's shortish queues at all the popular lifts.

jayne durham, From what John was saying yesterday, the half term isn't fully booked yet, so you might be lucky. I think his lessons are well worth it, even with the poor exchange rate.
ski holidays
Hard a great time in Les Arcs last week, its a shame that the rain we drove through on friday night was falling as snow up on the hill! A little bit gutted about that, and depressed now that I'm back at work, must plan another trip soon!
ski holidays
Conditions are looking good and forcast is looking clear for the end of the week. Really looking forward to getting there on Friday.
rob@rar, can you also pm John's details
snow report
rob@rar,

Quote:
mdemon2, about 9.15. Sometimes it helps to be on the first lift, sometimes it's just luck, sometimes it's knowing where to go. For me it's mostly just luck

Such false modesty - I think for you its mainly about knowing where to go Madeye-Smiley

Will email vids of skiing ( or PM a link to Picasso if I can get them uplaoded) when I've got over the weekend's sporting results. SO thats a few days away then...

mdemon2, we were skiing with Rob after a trip to the medical centre, a long coffee and then a lunch, and still got powder, powder powder. Just gotta know where to look!
snow conditions
kevinrhead wrote:
rob@rar, can you also pm John's details

Done. Have a great trip Smile
ski holidays
Still snowing lightly in Les Arcs, and has been for most of the day. As a guestimate I'd say about 15cm at resort level, maybe a little bit more. Everything shold be refreshed so excellent conditions continue. Sorry that there's no photos today, but I skied in Courchevel so nothing tasty to add to my favourite thread Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

jayne durham, you mention half term - are you there 16-23rd?

Hi Butterfly - we arrive late on Thurs 14th and leave on Sun 24th ... so put the sticker on and I'll try to spot you! We'll no doubt have plenty of time to look around when standing in lift queues... Oh the joys of half term skiing.
snow conditions
rob@rar, How are things in Courchevel? My daughter is heading out to help with high season at 1850 on Wednesday

I'm a tad jealous of the snow, but not in the least of the work! snowHead
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
rob@rar, How are things in Courchevel? My daughter is heading out to help with high season at 1850 on Wednesday

Only did a few pistes today but they were in excellent condition. It snowed fairly hard up until lunchtime, so the already good conditions were improving all day. It will certainly be good when your daughter arrives.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy