Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, i have been on the les arcs site trying to find out if you can buy one day passes? the wife only wants to ski a few days and wanted to know if you could buy a day at a time and also how much the day pass was.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes, yes you can buy half day and one day passes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybabes, snowHead

http://www.lesarcs.com/-Ski-passes-
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, the prices are here. Ignore the Paradiski prices as those tickets are not being sold this season because of the closure of the Vanoise Express.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Great pics, pity I will miss you again. I am around for a few weeks, are you out at half term. We really must meet up for that beer soon. Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great day too, Early morning on the Varet / Genepi, then Dou de l'Homme/KL below Aiguille rouge. Snow squeaky high up, clouds building tonight as I head for bed, perhaps the forecast is true. Hope so because we are booked for lunch at l'Ancolie tomorrow, having been disappointed that Belliou La Fumee couldn't take us today.Home weds pm so not much snow time left.
We had great fun hooning around the soft piste / inbetween piste at 1600 this afternoon. Still great skiing, and if the forecast prove right then a great week ahead for you guys coming out, although its 5o outside the house at the mo Shocked ment
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tthefatcontroller, Mouth, rob@rar, Thanks for the info and links...as i said wife doensnt want to ski a lot so will probably get day passes. I have read on the les arcs site that there is some free skiing [ free use of certain lifts] can anyone give me a bit of more info on these lifts / drags and also free night skiing , i see that finishes at 7pm does anyone know what time it starts. Any info would gratefully be received from all you snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woke up in arc 1950 this morning to around 15 cm fresh overnight, still snowing quite heavily (8 am), and forecast to continue till around 1pm, when it will clear. Looks like there will be some amazing skiing this afternoon - waxing them up as we speak. Skking was superb anyway, this will just make it even better.

Robrar, the only free lift as far as I know is the cablecar that goes from arc 1950 to 2000, there is then a very short run down back into arc 1950, literally 200m, can't imagine anybody would survive on that!!!

Forecast clear for the rest of the week, with maybe a flurry on Friday, wow i cant believe what a perfect week we chose Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andybabes, snowHead

http://www.lesarcs.com/Ski-for-free
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know if the combe (72) draglift in plan piesey is free?
Always just go past it to back to the bottom of the main lift, but it doesn't seem to have turnstiles.
For the cost of a short hike this could potentially give you a nice red (combe) and a black (ecureuils) for free.

Tux
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, not sure the over 72 free bit is correct, my dad got charged 5E for his pass? Mind you I suppose that could have been the deposit for the pass?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hello again everyone. great reports. we will be in 1800 on the 16 feb and would like to do a report from the laptop while we are there. so question, where can we connect to the internet. love all the reports keep them coming, let it snow let it snow let it snow. Very Happy snowHead
cheers and manythanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, Know the under 6 free bit is correct as we have used it for the last 3 years. Little blighters grow quick though, why is a family only 2 kids Mad Real man have 3 kids Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very snowy all day today, probably 10-15cm fresh in Peisey, haven't ventured further afield than P-V because the visibility too poor. All pistes now in great nick, and some fresh still to be had around the sides. Very tired legs. Pic from yesterday - looking down on Ecureiles from a parapente:
[img]www.flickr.com/photos/14716552@N02/2211873455/[/img]
and on the Tuffes yesterday
[img]www.flickr.com/photos/14716552@N02/2211732824/[/img]

Edit - just no good at this picture business
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, yes used the under 6 one for youngest this year. Can save a bit on a family lift pass for 2+2 but agree, as a real man myself, should be a lift pass for 3 kids
ski holidays
andybabes,

night skiing in 1950/2000 is on the Marmottes piste, but effectively it just means the Marmottes lift stays open until 7pm - its only 'free' in the sense that you don't have to pay any more for it! Lights are put on when it gets dark, but the lift doesn't close at the normal time, you just stay on skiing. So anything you can get to from the lift is effectively OK, and when it gets that little bit darker, some of the unlit pistes can be quite ... interesting...

wrt to other free lifts, St Jacques used to be free, but I don't think it is anymore. I thought I had heard that you could "pay per ride" on it (?€3?) but I would be grateful for any confirmation of that.

Another way to get a free ski, say on the day you arrive, is to ski down to Pre St Esprit, and then get the free Navette ( every half hour) back up to 1950/2000. Its a blue, a "ski tranquille" once past Bois de l'Ours, and a very good run for new skiiers or the less confident. Probably about 1.5 - 2 km from 2000 to the bottom.
Time it right, and frankly its quicker than getting the Pre St Esprit lift, which take 15 minutes anyway. We've done that when the Q has been long for the lift, so it is perfectly feasible. Time it wrong, and there's a bar just by the bus stop, so not really a major problem!

Boris, AFAIR the +72 is indeed €5, but that's for the season.
snow conditions
JimW, Pre St Esprit lift - Thought Vega in La Plagne was slow however one can forgive it as you get to ski Comborciere Cool
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Pre St Esprit and Comborciere lifts are clearly twins, and probably installed the same time. I wonder if there is an onlline history that would show the restaurant, the car park and the lifts all being part of a 'development' plan... I shall go for a look.
I'd be happy for them not to upgrade Comb though, for it's age/speed/ appearance discourages casual use, and it heads up to Malgovert, and that's just for us in the know eh?!

But if they could do something with PSE, and lengthen it so you could get off the top to Arcabulle without a pole across the flats, then I think the resort would be the better for it - not least because it would give an alternate car-park at the bottom for the day trippers.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, .... we managed the Bellecote North face on Tuesday 15th Jan, ... the race - Le Derbie du Derby, to celebrate the opening of the new Derby chair on Wednesday 16th and Grand Col on Saturday 19th Jan .... well good week ... !
snow report
JimW, Yes got caught with a heavy polling session getting to Arcabulle. That whole area can be nasty if you get it wrong going either way but all worth if for that run I won't name in case people start to find it, its a gem snowHead Cool

Have you figured piste Alpine yet? I kept menaing to stop and check the signs. I think they are trying to grow some trees Confused Confused
snow report
thefatcontroller, meant to look - never did! Found another 'piste watching' station at the top of the Mont Blanc Chair out of 1600, and that wasn't marked so explicitly on the piste map, so have eliminated ( from my own mind anyway) that it is a research patch looking at piste depth trends. You could be right re trees. I promise to have an other look at Easter. Or we could engage Rob to check it out again.
snow report
Not entirely sure what Piste Alpina is, but I think it might be a speed trap sponsored by Alpina Savoie (dairy products IIRC). There might have been something similar near Arc 2000 last season? From the piste map it looks like it might be on the bottom section of the area they (used to?) use for slalom racing, although the timing hut at the finish line was removed for last season when the dismantled the old drag lift there. Whatever is supposed to be there I haven't seen anything and I've spent a lot of time on the Tuffes piste in the last few days.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Kept passing it on chairs and there are signs up at the entrance explaining what it is. I just kept forgetting to stop on the way down to look Laughing Its a very small piece of piste cordoned of just in front of the Plagnettes lift.
ski holidays
[quote="JimW"]andybabes,

Another way to get a free ski, say on the day you arrive, is to ski down to Pre St Esprit, and then get the free Navette ( every half hour) back up to 1950/2000. Its a blue, a "ski tranquille" once past Bois de l'Ours, and a very good run for new skiiers or the less confident. Probably about 1.5 - 2 km from 2000 to the bottom.
quote]

Is this a (the only?) route into tree lined skiing if the weather is down and you're staying at Arc 2000? A couple of people have mentioned the risk of white out or high winds up there...some friends were trapped in Val Thorens over New Year with no lifts open - but maybe Arc 2000 is better off if you can get into the trees?
snow report
kewhoward, if in 2000 a good place to head in poor visibility is the Villaroger sector. You can access it either via the Lanchettes chairlift, or ski down to Pre St Didier cross the road and catch the Rhonaz lift (no 44 on the map) to cut into the trees (although this lift is often closed). You can also head towards 1600 (via the Comborciere lift) or Pesiey (via the Bois de l'Ours lift). Lots of options for finding sheltered skiing, although as your starting point is so high there will be some skiing above the tree line before you can head for better visibility.
ski holidays
Thanks again rob@rar, another invalauable bit of info to add to the file... snowHead
snow report
kewhoward, the Les Arcs piste map is a useful link if you haven't found it yet.
ski holidays
Looking at the piste map (again rolling eyes ) what do you do if in 1600 and the weather comes in - is it a taxi back or is there a bus? Is the same true for Villaroger? And how much might the local economy benefit from such a situation (After a lift broke down in L'Oriel 3v I was once quoted 300 Euros back to Mottaret Shocked . Fortunately it was repaired JIT)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kewhoward, the only time I've had lifts close is because of very high wind, and then the lifts stayed shut all day rather than closing midway through the day. I doubt they would close because of poor visibility. If the wind does get very strong it is always good policy to ski in the same valley as you are staying in, regardless of resort. Having said that the only people I've heard got stuck in the wrong valley while in Les Arcs it was "operator error" rather than lifts closing unexpectedly. That's almost happened to me on a couple of occasions.

If you get stuck in 1600 or 1800 there is a free resort shuttle which runs until late and will get you back to 2000. You would normally be OK to ski from Villaroger along the 'rhonaz' piste as far as Pre St Didier, then the Pre Saint Express (if ever there was a misnomer!) chairlift up to 2000 or catch the shuttle bus. If this failed a taxi to Bourg then catch the funicular. Getting stuck in Villandry or Peisey might be more of a problem as you would have to get a taxi to Bourg then funicular and shuttle bus.
ski holidays
That's great rob@rar, sounds like its a lot less financially risky than 3V... Will have to watch out for operator error though - particularly when it manifests itself as misreading the piste map re. which direction is "down" (I can usually tell when on the mountain itself) snowHead
snow report
Hi Folks,

Heading out to Les Arcs this weekend and it looks as though it is going to be hot/hot/hot with no fresh stuff over the next few days, any tips on where to look for some lift accessed off piste that might hold some soft/powder snow, experienced skier and boarder spoiled by Scotland's powder over the last few weeks.

Also can anyone recommend a cheap guide for off piste? or open to offers from Rob@Rar and friends to meet up?

Is it worth taking the Discouverte pass for a day in La Plagne with the Vanoise off? Is it best to go down to Bourg and try and get to Montchavin?

We normally take the La Plagne accommodation option but decided on Les Arcs this year.

Thanks
latest report
snowscot, Just get a Les Arcs pass. As the Vanosie is shut with a Les Arcs pass this year you can ski any day in La Plagne for free. There we 8 of us in Peisey recently and we got a Taxi to Montchavin for 20 euro per person return which was great value. To get best value from a day in La Plagne (if you don't have your own transport) best try and get a few together and get a taxi across. Enjoy yourself Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-01-08 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kewhoward wrote:
Looking at the piste map (again rolling eyes )

You can never look at a piste map enough Razz Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Just back from our "Long Weekend". Wednesday skied fresh powder down the Tuffes a few runs, followed by the Ours and than the gully the other side of the Ours ridge which was a bit crusty and heavy, then to the right of the Comborcieres - knee deep powder with the occasional heavy bit, and down Deux Tetes which was almost untracked onto Mont Blanc for a refreshing bashed piste blast. Snow good and squeaky right down to 1600, although there is some windblown crust on East / South facing slopes and the odd icy patch at intersections. Snowmaking was going on and is likely to continue with the forecast cold temperatures. Anyone going this weekend is going to have a blast!
snow conditions
snowscot wrote:
Also can anyone recommend a cheap guide for off piste? or open to offers from Rob@Rar and friends to meet up?

Sorry, I'm back in London now and won't be back in Les Arcs for a week or so. I don't have any personal recommendations for guides although you could talk to http://www.initial-snow.com/uk/index.html or http://www.guidesdesarcs.com/ to see if they are suitable.
snow conditions
Quote:

(used to?) use for slalom racing

rob@rar, They had slalom poles out on Tuffes - out to the left where the skier cross course was last 2 years - on Monday and it looked as though theye were doing some instructor training there. Is that where you meant. I haven't seen the Piste Alpina either, but we haven't been skiing on the pistes all the time.
Quote:

cheap guide
- I'd just want a good one. The older the better to my mind as well!
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas wrote:
They had slalom poles out on Tuffes - out to the left where the skier cross course was last 2 years - on Monday and it looked as though theye were doing some instructor training there. Is that where you meant. I haven't seen the Piste Alpina either, but we haven't been skiing on the pistes all the time.

That area is still marked on the piste map as a stade, so that would explain it I guess. Piste Alpina is still a mystery!
snow conditions
Hi Everyone,

We're on the 15:00 Heathrow to Lyon tomorrow (2 weeks yippee!), anyone know what the roads from up to Vallandry / Nancrois are like at the moment? As there hasn't been much new snow I'm hoping we won't need the chains this time.

AllanM
snow report
Roads completely clear and dry to Peisey, a bit in the middle of the road at Plan Peisey and in the car parks - have a great time, the snow is fabulous, you won't need chains unless access to your accommodation is tricky. snowHead
snow conditions
snowscot, Hi I am back in Les Arcs next week so if you want to pm me. we can arrange an off piste day if you are interested.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy