Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the plan for Cairngorm's lift system?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's some pretty feverish chat going on in the Scottish Highlands about the future of Cairngorm's two remaining chairlifts - the two stages of the Coire Na Ciste (the top stage servicing the famous steep West Wall), plus some of the tows (which are in the process of being relocated to provide more uplift in the snowsure Ptarmigan bowl).

A poster called 'disillusioned' (!) has put a couple of maps on the Winterhighland site, showing the system in 2003/4 and 2004/5 - see here - but before anyone gets too excited about this, how come the latter is not what is on the official maps of Cairngorm Mountain and Ski Scotland?

Is that 2004/5 map an official one? Whatever, there is a serious point. If the Ciste chairs are not being maintained for potential use this winter, then it's a bit cheeky to include them on an official map. They have certainly operated very little in recent winters, which is sad. Of course, it has to be said that the skiing of the Ciste (the best on Cairngorm, IMO) can be accessed via other lifts.

This is not a dig at dissillusioned, or Cairngorm, because Mother Nature will again be the make or break of the skiing this winter - but people deserve to know, officially, what the maximum lift network is guaranteed to be. It takes some commitment to get up there, and the price of a liftpass.

That said, let's hope the old hill gets some luck with snow this winter. It deserves it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I agree, but while I was working up there we found the Ciste chairs started being used less as soon as the insect lovers stopped us ski-ing the Ciste if there wasn't snow to the bottom. We used to walk on the heather to the wooden path (I'm sure you remember it), and then they stopped it. Apparently some conservationists consider heather an endangered species (what?). I suspect that's why the chairs have not been used much lately. Of course in those days people also often had to park in the Ciste car park because the regular one was full. So sad. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy