Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the story with Blizzard skis?

Poster: A snowHead
The question is, how good are they for intermediates? At the top end their race skis are meant to be good (Michaela Dorfmeister races them etc etc), and skipressworld gives most of their skis good reviews, but in the UK there seems to be only one distributor (skiwearforless) who discount them deeply.

To add to the confusion, I can't remember seeing a pair in a ski hire shop (but I wasn't actually looking), which means it's a little harder to give them a go.

Does anyone have a recent pair or tried skis like the Firebirds? Why do S+R/EB not carry them?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just ticking the box as I'm also interested, if you search the archives I was asking about Blizzard at the end of last season

I did see quite a few pairs on the Canadian Ski Magazine test at Fernie in March.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know much about Blizzard skis, but there are plenty of other manufacturers to choose from ! Unless you ski more than two weeks a year, you are probably better off hiring ..... The performance of a factory race ski is a relevant to regular skiers as F1 cars are to commuters.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski, yes, and I look nothing like Michaela Dorfmeister. The rent/buy thing has been going round for ages, but it looks like I'll be able to make 2-3 trips a year from now on, including some sneaky day trips, and if I've only got a day on the mountain I want to spend it on snow, not in a shop (even a ski shop...). As the UK distributor is selling intermediate on-piste Blizzards at £160 inc bindings I just wondered if they were worth looking at. Bargain or offloading lame gear?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO there is no bad ski these days - just the wrong ski for a specific purpose/ability level. Blizzard have been around for many years and have a good reputation but are not well known outside the German speaking market. for £160 they are a bargain.

here is a link to Peter Keelty's independent ski reviews.
http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/public/05_ski_reviews/ski_reviews_blizzard.htm

hope this helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My 1st skis were Blizzards firebirds back in the early 80,s I skied 7 seasons with them even then they were cheaper than the others on the market salomon didnt even make a ski that I can think of then. They were great skis but dont know what the new ones are like. The great Franz Klammer used to ski on Blizzard Thermos thats what made me buy the Firebird sad I know but so what Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowman, thanks for the link - I thought the techsupportforskiers was subscription only, good to see some bits are still free. So, the skis might be a bargain. I now have to work out whether they would be a bargain for me. I suppose the worst that can happen is I eBay them if we don't get on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
michael stocking, Bargain - definitely. At that price they will have paid for themselves in a couple of weeks, so whether they are any good (almost) doesn't matter.

Just remember to keep them serviced (waxed and edged), you'll be suprised how well a cheap-but-serviced pair of skis compares to an expensive-but-neglected set.

For me (but not my wife) price is (almost) the only decider when I buy skis....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I'm sold on the idea. Now I have to convince my charming wife. Last time, when I went to buy some boots (my first), she managed to walk out with a new pair as well, despite the fact that her existing boots were fine. I have a feeling that I may have to buy two pairs. Not such a cheap day at the shops. Only fair though. Maybe I could spin them as a birthing present (she gave birth to our daughter last week...).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michael,

I've just put a post in the for sale section for my brand new Blizzard SL's. 165cm with Salomon 914 bindings.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3339

Andrew
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
awheelhouse, thanks for the offer, but looking at the specs, I think they'd be a bit of a handful for me. Plus I'm 6' 6", so a 165 is probably a bit short.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.fis-ski.com/pdf/2005/AL/5295/2005AL5295RLR2.pdf
According to these results from Solden, Dorfmeister has now switched to Atomic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This thread is probably long dead, but I had sponsorship from blizzard for 2 seasons during the transition from straight to carving skis and found them absolutely fantastic. I kept the Downhill skis until I gave up racing despite the fact that they were 5 years behind the most modern skis, and were still competitive. A good manufaturer who make awesome skis and rare for Brits to own so some kudos to be had if that's your thing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to revive this one again!

I ski a great pair of Blizzard White Sharks (185's) I've seen the newer Blizzard Sharks for sale in Austria and they certainly do look a little more up to date.

I would guess my White Sharks are from somewhere between 1997-1999, and are kind of a pencil / carver ski hybrid.

I love them though, and if it's speed you're after they absolutely wipe the floor with everything else.

Plus, Powderhound is correct, just by owning Blizzard ski's means you never get your skis lost on the rack again as they're usually the only ones there!

Benjj
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
benjj, thanks for the info. As there's only one distributor it's hard to get objective reviews of these skis. I'll see if I can find some in a hire shop next week.
snow conditions
Moreover, the distrbutor;s website is down at the moment. Oh dear...
ski holidays
Lots of Blizzard skis in use and for hire in Kitzbuhel last week. Seem to be popular with German clients. Looked fine to my untutored eye. Most seemed to be various grades of Firebird.

Wasn't the Val D downhill won on Blizzards this year?
ski holidays
The Brit distributor is this lot http://www.skiwear4less.com/ and their prices are better than many in Germany (I think they're part of a Dutch sales group)
I'm really considering the Sigma x-cross Ti at £349 (when they're back in stock). They have a fearsome rep for speed and stability. There are mutterings on septicski that the're as good as the Atomic SX:10's

oh crap . . . I'm turning into a ski nerd Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-01-05 18:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Not by me....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy