Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Our maintenance man just came in off the mountain and said it was amazing. All bowls open with stupid amounts of powder everywhere.

Its still snowing...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not to be cliche or steal Tim's job, but it's snowing still NehNeh
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just got here. Ace snowHead Dunno how PhotoTim copes with this crappy connection. Was snowing lightly as we were walking to the house. Bring on tommorrow snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark, enjoy it ! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark, how about this for a welcome present:

FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007
Time: 5:02:12 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 25 cm / 10 in

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh

my

lord.

What a perfect start to Sharkymark's holiday. Woke up to around 3-4inches in town which translated to up to waist deep powder in places (a good knee deep on the pistes with deeper pockets around). Took him up timber and whitepass chair and dropped straight down a steep blue into almost fresh pow. Then we got a tip off that one of the bowls (curry) was opening in 30 mins so we bombed down one more run then up the chair again to be presented with the patrol guy opening the bowl right before us. We had true fresh tracks in deep powder as only about 20 people got in the bowl before us.

We followed that by another run in the curry bowl (not quite so fresh but still amazing) and then headed over the other side of the mountain for some deep powder tree skiing in cedar bowl.

Just another day in fernie but the best daySharkymark has ever had Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OH

MY

GOD.

This place is INSANE Twisted Evil

I've just had the best day's skiing OF MY LIFE as PhotoTim rightly describes it. First tracks in thigh-deep powder after a night of snow. I'm going to explode and that was just the first day snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
FERNIE SNOW REPORT

Date: Monday, December 31, 2007
Time: 7:25:50 AM
Click here for a PDF version of this snow report

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 8 cm / 3 in Snow Pack: 220 cm / 87 in
48 Hour: 32 cm / 13 in Year to Date: 390 cm /154 in
7 Day: 110 cm / 43 in

What!?! Only 8cm overnight?!? Not good enough. Even some Alpine resorts received more than that yesterday. You're a jinx Sharkymark. wink

And even worse...shock horror...for the next two days it's forecast to stay...DRY. Shocked

Now that I've just booked my trip I demand at least 20cm of fresh every night until I arrive. Sort it out PhotoTim or I want my money back. wink wink wink

ps Sharkymark, loving that report of your first day. I hope mine is similarly orgasmic. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd, this place is the s***. Still some freshies to be had in the trees despite the apparently record-breaking numbers of skiers and snowboarders using the slopes today. It was like a "normal" day in Europe Toofy Grin

The best bit is that they only groom a few runs so the rest is left, well, powdery Madeye-Smiley Very Happy

I'm never going to Europe again*; it really is THAT GOOD here

*...until Easter
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark wrote:

I'm never going to Europe again*; it really is THAT GOOD here

Trying to get the "record numbers on the hill" broken again? Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark, these positive reports are music to my ears. For how long are you in Fernie? The dumporama should recommence on Thursday. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On far.retree.com, Jay wrote:
44-13-24. That’s how much snow in c’s we’ve had in the last 3 days. When I was a kid, I had a babysitter with measurements like that. I always looked forward to my folks going out.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark is here until the 9th. It should start snowing again tomorrow and through thurs/fri. It might be a bit wetter than the usual dry powder though. I've been at work since 7am and am now at home awaiting Sharkymark's return from his first solo trip up the mountain.

This place rocks my socks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
keep the reports coming... Want some powder in february please Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfortunately, one of my skis is still on the mountain (near the top, actually Evil or Very Mad ) after I stacked in the trees in waist deep pow and after 20 mins of digging I still couldn't find it. As it was 10 mins before the lifts closed I had to leave it. I skied 2100 vert. ft. on one ski and thanks to Euangoneskiing's lesson at the PSB that was linked turns. My right leg hurts like hell and needless to say I'm a *bit* p****d off. Going back up tomorrow on rented skis with a shovel. Praying it doesn't dump tonight (the only time I'll be doing that) Sad
ski holidays
Where abouts? What ski? I'll keep an eye out, it'll likely re-appear propped up on a tree...

Oh, and I had a near-miss on a similar experience. I'm probably going to take looking like a spaz on the chin and getting some powder chords...
latest report
DaveC, what a legend! This man helped Sharkymark look for his ski for an hour in the powder! He also has a really weird and cunning way of knowing who we are before he's even met us Very Happy Shocked

Its snowing again and when I say snowing I mean its SNOWING.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
I skied 2100 vert. ft. on one ski and thanks to Euangoneskiing's lesson at the PSB that was linked turns.

We're not worthy!

Hope you find the errant ski.
snow report
PhotoTim wrote:
DaveC, what a legend! This man helped Sharkymark look for his ski for an hour in the powder! He also has a really weird and cunning way of knowing who we are before he's even met us Very Happy Shocked

Its snowing again and when I say snowing I mean its SNOWING.

Alright, Mark was easy to spot as I was getting a bit of gravel out of my boot in the rental shop and heard an English guy talking about skiing down on one ski while renting some more...

Tim - I have absolutely no recollection of meeting you at all Very Happy I think it was my friend Dan's birthday (who searched with us today) - I'd been drinking equal part vodka redbulls... Embarassed
latest report
DaveC, you are an ABSOLUTE LEGEND. Thanks very much to you and (let's not forget) Dan for all the help. We must've been digging for about an hour: it was a fantastic effort so thanks a lot! Very Happy It was pure coincidence that I met them on the lift and it was Dave C who finally struck gold Very Happy

I go all the way to Canada, lose a ski and it's another snowHead who finds it!
snow report
Awww, that's such a lovely story Toofy Grin
snow report
Glad to hear you've found your ski Sharkymark but that's enough of this sentimental nonsense. wink

More snow updates please!
latest report
DaveC, Yo da man. What a very kind gesture. Personally I would have let the inbred dig on his own Twisted Evil wink
snow report
Sharkymark, pleased you (he) founf your ski - I know how much you love them babies. how's yer leg?
snow conditions
Some serious dumpage is on its way in the next few days. Fingers crossed it won't rain at resort level.

FERNIE MOUNTAIN WEATHER wrote:
ISSUED: Wednesday January 2, 2008 15:45 MST

SYNOPSIS: A series of disturbances embedded in a moist, southwesterly flow will maintain occasional snow tonight and Thursday. Heavier snow is expected Thursday night and Friday morning as a more significant surge of Pacific moisture tracks northeastward from coastal Washington-Oregon. Snow could briefly ease Friday afternoon and than intensify again with a following disturbance Friday night. The strengthening southwesterly flow will also provide progressively milder temperatures and moderate to strong ridge top winds during the next couple of days.

FREEZING LEVEL: Surface. Rising slightly above surface Thursday afternoon and to between 1000 & 1300 metres on Friday.

FERNIE ALPINE RESORT FORECAST:
TONIGHT: Cloudy with occasional snow. Low near -6.

THURSDAY: Cloudy with occasional snow. Windy at times. High near -2.

THURSDAY NIGHT: Snow, heavy at times. Heavy accumulation possible. Windy at times.
Low near -2.

OUTLOOK:
FRIDAY: Occasional snow, lighter during the afternoon. Light to moderate accumulation.
High near -1.

SATURDAY: Cloudy with snow showers, light to moderate accumulation. High near -2.

SUNDAY: Cloudy with sunny breaks, 60% chance of flurries. High near -4.

CONFIDENCE: Good on the general pattern, fair on the finer details such as the timing and intensity of individual disturbances. The main, current plume of Pacific moisture is situated just south of the International Border, it should push northward tonight. Milder air should maintain higher water content/denser snow tonight onward. Still expecting the heavier bands of precipitation Thursday night-Friday morning and Friday night-Saturday morning. The snow level could climb to between 1000 & 1200 metres on Friday.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Here she comes...

FERNIE SNOW REPORT wrote:
Date: Thursday, January 03, 2008
Time: 4:48:33 AM

SNOW FALL

24 Hour: 17 cm / 7 in
48 Hour: 17 cm / 7 in
Snow Pack: 205 cm / 81 in

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:
Text forecast from Environment Canada

Elk Valley: Issued 5.00 AM MST Thursday 3 January 2008

Today..Periods of snow. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind becoming west 20 km/h this afternoon. High minus 1.

Tonight..Snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm except 15 cm near Fernie. Wind west 20 km/h. Temperature steady near zero.

Friday..Periods of snow changing to periods of rain in the afternoon. Snowfall amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light late in the day. High plus 4.

Saturday..A mix of sun and cloud with 70 percent chance of rain showers and flurries. Low plus 1. High plus 3.

Sunday..Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 2. High zero.

Monday..A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 10. High minus 3.

Based on that forecast (which often underestimates accumulation) I reckon Fernie will have 100cm+ by the end of the weekend.
snow report
Ok yesterday was a good day. Got the first lift up at 9am and hiked straight to morning glory. We were rewarded with untracked fresh snow through the trees and it snowed pretty much all day. The snow wasn't the real dry powdery stuff we usually get, but it was still nice. Unfortunately the temperatures have risen to just above freezing meaning it is trying to rain. We didn't get dumped on last night and there is a heavy rainfall warning for tomorrow Sad I'm hoping it will at least be cold enough up top to produce snow. My birthday on sunday so I have my fingers crossed for a sat night dump!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhotoTim, regular updates please on the rain situation. Confused
latest report
its not raining yet! Hopefully it'll all dump as snow, but somehow I don't think so Sad

My brother just text me to say he just got fresh tracks in cedar bowl and today was the day I chose to take a break Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
PhotoTim, hopefully they will belong to a large and hungry Grizzly wink
snow conditions
Just got back from the hill. Although it was raining/sleeting in town, it was snowing at base level and fairly persistent but wet snow at the top. I managed to find plenty of fresh tracks on morning glory again despite a late (10am) start. Also managed to hit some freshies in Cedar bowl too this afternoon. There had been 22cm of snow in the 24 hours preceding this morning which meant most of yesterday's tracks had been covered by fresh stuff Very Happy

I spent most of the afternoon destroying the gladed blacks at the edge of Cedar bowl: I've developed a bit of a thing for steep tree runs...they're awesome!!!!! Toofy Grin

holidayloverxx, both legs are pretty much shot to pieces but the right one a little more so Twisted Evil

hd, it's been raining in town today and the streets now look more like a typical European resort Toofy Grin
snow conditions
17cm or so of snow overnight last night but it was much wetter than the typical stuff they get here and was a bit "sticky" underfoot. However, I still managed first tracks in Timber Bowl under the White Pass chair just after they opened it this morning. The base area is now pretty hard and very quick but I'd stop short of icy (although PhotoTim wasn't too much of a fan Twisted Evil ). I managed to find some wind-blown slab/crust just below mid-mountain...which was fun Toofy Grin . The last run this afternoon in Currie Powder was awesome so hopefully some left for tomorrow. We're hoping it'll dump tonight as the gravel that fell this afternoon indicates a front moving in, apparently snowHead
snow report
For the first time since I've been here there was no new snow overnight Evil or Very Mad However, it did mean that they opened upper Cedar Bowl for the first time in 3 days...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOY snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

In some areas the powder had crusted up a bit more but there were still some sweet areas in Lizard and Currie Bowls (as well as the legendary Cedar Bowl) Very Happy Very Happy

I don't think there's anymore snow predicted tonight either so conditions are going to be so so (by Fernie standards tomorrow), which doesn't matter as it's PhotoTim's birthday today and we're off to the pub in a minute Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
17cm or so of snow overnight last night but it was much wetter than the typical stuff they get here and was a bit "sticky" underfoot. snowHead

I thought wet snow was not that unusual in fernie, despite its location it gets quite maritime weather, similar to whistler, so lots of snow but quite warm so a good deal of wet snow or rain in the mix. Certainly my experience some years ago, but sounds like you've had some excellent conditions, not jealous at all !
ski holidays
most of the snow so far has been ridiculously dry and powdery. Fernie is on the powder highway and does get some legendary powder however it is also not unusual for a warm front to come through and produce some rain and icy conditions. From what I have been told, Fernie gets less snow than Whistler (obvious from looking at the stats) but its of much better quality (ie pow pow!). Now, I've had 15 days on the slopes and only the last 2 days have been remotely icy/hard packed (and even then we found some sweet deep stuff in the trees).
ski holidays
Well, despite my pessimism over the now conditions, it spat another 8cm overnight at mid-mountain. When I finally made it up at 10am, it was more like 8 inches on Morning Glory and in the Cedar and Currie Bowls: just enough to get proper floatation. In other words, another POWDER DAY snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

The new snow was enough to cover most of the "bad" snow (apart from one or two of the tree runs like Puff under the White Pass lift) so PhotoTim was much happier when he finally made it up at 11am. It's now 10pm and dumping hard. Fingers crossed for a powder day for my last day skiing snowHead snowHead
latest report
Webcam check - is it dumping?!? snowHead
ski holidays
Today was soooo sick, i don't know if it's 'cos i finally got my pow skis in the mix or it was just a good snow day but i've had easily my best day in Fernie. Best part is that the christmas crowds have buggered off so there're fresh lines to be had at 1pm rather than the resort being tracked by 10am. I love it here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dumping since 8am this morning and has only just relented to light flurries (in town, might still be dumping in town)
snow report
dump dump dump all day long and guess who was working Sad

Sharkymark has just stepped through the door so no doubt he'll tell me how great it was...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy